Hatchback Sport CVT Oil Change

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Been at 30% oil on the MM for a week or so

For a first time oil change, what % and what type of oil should I use? Synthetic the best for a turbo?

Love my Hatch Sport, just want to make sure I take as good care of it as possible.

Note: this will be the first time the oil is changed since purchase, not sure if that plays a role.
Sponsored

HatchHTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am THINKING and I'm not quite sure but I think Synthetic is what we use. I just bought my car and the dealership said that you should change it at 15% or 10%. He also said it would last around 6000 miles which sounds like synthetic oil to me. I do not know the % of the oil to use but I have a grasp about the Synthetic. Quote me if im wrong, im here to learn too :)

Deleted member

My rule of thumb- don't do the first oil change until it is time. After that, full synthetic every time.

I have read that going back to a high mileage engine oil of some kind is better than synthetic for very high mileage engines as synthetic is more likely to leak on very high mileage engines- I don't keep cars long enough to have much experience on that however.

When it comes to engine lubrication synthetic is objectively better than other types of oil(not only does it last longer but it lubricates effectively across a wider temperature range so it is protecting your engine sooner from a cold start than traditional oils). There isn't really a question of if synthetic is better or not but a question of if it is worth the higher cost- there are plenty of people who will argue on either side of that. There are also differences in different brands however but that isn't something I'm an expert on so I'll leave it to others to say what brand is ideal and for what reasons. People get real passionate about their motor oil.

For what it's worth my local Honda dealership only uses full synthetic on all of their oil changes. As for interval I change my oil whenever it is convenient for me once it gets to 30% oil life but I doubt there is a benefit to doing it there as opposed to say 10%.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Best oil out there:
AMSOIL Signature Series 0W20
Their filters are the best also.

Buy a Dimple brand Rare Earth Magnetic Oil Drain Plug and replace the factory non-magnetic plug. Amazon and other on-line retailers carry them.

Rotate your tires at every oil change too.

Last edited:

Wxguru

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring x2
Country flag
I used Mobil 1 Full synthetic and a Mobil 1 high capacity extended life oil filter. Everything has been fine so far.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There’s too many that go back between changing it as soon as possible to waiting it out until you reach 5%. IMO you can’t go wrong as there’s no solid proof. Personal preference.

I also switch to a Performance Grade so my rule (no real reason) is to wait until my third oil change. I’m using IMO the out there, Amsoil 0W-30.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
My local shop changes oil every 6 months or 6K miles, which ever comes first.
For my BMW N55 engine, the recommendation was no longer than 7,500 miles between oil changes.

Think twice about using a thicker oil, especially in cold climates. I've seen oil test results that an 0W20 became a 0W30 viscosity around 10,000 miles
Sponsored