Hatchback / Sedan Windshield Compatibility

maninder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
***EDIT 04/17/17***

The sedan windshield and the HB windshield are not the same! Read thread for details.

Hi all,

Went to my car this weekend and noticed this huge crack (see pics) on my Hatchback's windshield :(

Honda Civic 10th gen Hatchback / Sedan Windshield Compatibility 2017-03-25 11.15.42
Honda Civic 10th gen Hatchback / Sedan Windshield Compatibility 2017-03-25 11.16.11

I scheduled an appointment with a Safelite in my area but their system didn't have Civic Hatchback as an option and the only options were Civic Sedan or Civic Coupe.

I have a 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport, will a windshield for a 2017 Civic Sedan EX work?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
Interestingly, the sedan and hatchback have different part numbers for the windshield glass.

hatch:

#001 PartNo: 73111-TGG-305
GLASS SET, FR. WINDSHIELD (COO)(GREEN)(PILKINGTON)
MSRP: $576.82 Save: $171.89 Price: $404.93
OVERSIZED / FRAGILE: Can not be shipped

sedan:

#001 PartNo: 73111-TBA-A01
GLASS SET, FR. WINDSHIELD (GREEN)(FUYAO)
MSRP: $576.82 Save: $171.89 Price: $404.93
OVERSIZED / FRAGILE: Can not be shipped
Assembly Qnty: 1

Not sure if the glass is interchangeable, just different vendors, or there is a physical difference. My guess would be that they both fit either car, but there may be some small cosmetic difference...but that's pure speculation.

The front side door glass is the same part number, hatch to sedan. So is the rear door glass.

The coupe windshield is the same part # as the sedan, btw.

OP
OP
maninder

maninder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you! My appointment with Safelite is on the 11th, will update this thread after the installation.

In the mean time if anyone has any thoughts or experience please share with us :)

Interestingly, the sedan and hatchback have different part numbers for the windshield glass.

Not sure if the glass is interchangeable, just different vendors, or there is a physical difference. My guess would be that they both fit either car, but there may be some small cosmetic difference...but that's pure speculation.

The front side door glass is the same part number, hatch to sedan. So is the rear door glass.

The coupe windshield is the same part # as the sedan, btw.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the glass on the new car. I've replaced side glass before but never a windshield. Just curious how much is the price for Safelite to do the windshield ?

EMPhoto

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Looks like we're in the same boat. Looks like it'll cost me $200 through my insurance :/

Honda Civic 10th gen Hatchback / Sedan Windshield Compatibility shield

chicubfn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Coupe, 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L
My windshield is cracked too, these windshields suck.

OP
OP
maninder

maninder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think how much you pay depends your insurance coverage. Mine will cost about $100 and as EMPhoto posted his will run him $200. Poking around a bit online it seems without insurance the cost is a couple hundred dollars.

Sorry to hear about the glass on the new car. I've replaced side glass before but never a windshield. Just curious how much is the price for Safelite to do the windshield ?

That sucks! Did your replacement shop specify if they'll use a Sedan or HB windshield?

Looks like we're in the same boat. Looks like it'll cost me $200 through my insurance :/

shield.jpg
This is the first time I've had a windshield break on me, in about 10 years of driving I've never had this happen before. Especially disappointing given the car is only a few months old. After poking around a bit on CivicX and other places online, windshield breaks seems to be a oddly common complaint for this generation Civic.

EMPhoto

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
So, Safelite managed to install a wrong windshield on my car and it's non OEM. Really horrible fish eye effect at the pillers.

OP
OP
maninder

maninder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The same thing almost happened to me! Safelite showed up with an aftermarket sedan windshield, thankfully the guy was a straight shooter and said he wouldn't install it if it was his car.

Yeah, they're replacing it with the correct OEM one. I just find it crazy they thought my hatch was a sedan.
To update this thread, for some reason Safelite in my area (SF Bay Area) isn't able to acquire a HB windshield for many weeks, partly due to not having the Civic HB in their system. I ditched them and went with a glass shop in my area and they were able to order an OEM windshield using my car's VIN so it'll be an exact match.

Two more weeks until it arrives, kinda bummed with this whole saga and disappointed to see others are also having trouble with the quality of the windshield. :banghead:
Sponsored