Hatchback rear visibility

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
Out of curiosity today, I went and test drove a Hatchback. I was thinking about one for my wife, but after test driving it, I said no. I have never seen any car with worst rear window visibility. That spoiler and middle brake light and wiper thing is right in the way. That may not matter to some people, but I could see it being a safety issue for her, so no thanks. The room in the back was amazing, but oh well. Thoughts?
Sponsored

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
Wut? You must not have driven many cars then. The Civic Hatchback has a very usable rear view. Try driving a CRZ or 370/350Z to know real pain...off the top of my head. many more normal cars out there with worse visibility than a civic hatchback

Last edited:

jackquelegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2015 BMW 328i xDrive
Country flag
+1 to you haven't driven many cars then.

I believe you're getting bamboozled by the extra window area under the spoiler, thinking you're supposed to have the entire view if not blocked by the spoiler assembly. In truth, the new more streamlined cars (and even more so with fastback designs) will only have visibility on par with the hatchback's upper rear window. For one, my 328i's rear visibility is not nearly as good as the Civic's

Plus the spoiler actually manages to block high beams at reasonable distances. :bow:

bigbadboss101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB LX CVT
Our previous vehicle was a 13 Honda Fit. Seating position was high with big windows and very little blind spot. When I tested the Civic HB I told the salesman my wife would need to drive it as she wasn't there for the first test drive. In comparison for sure the Civic has more blind spots than the Civic. There are many cars that has more blind sports however. My wife is getting used to this vehicle. No big issue.

Justinr1324

Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback LX 6sp MT
Country flag
No issue with visibility, back or side. Every car has blind spots but as long as you look/turn your head, you can see everything in the civic HB. The lower rear spoiler obstructs my vision a little but I can still see everything I need to see, and I can see under it as well. I absolutely recommend the civic HB(manual if you can, that turbo is great with stick).

zrwizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport,2016 CRV SE, 2014 Mustang, 2011 Mustang, 2010 Civic LX-
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is a blind spot but all cars do. My mustangs are the same , that's what they make side mirrors for, I wouldn't let that stop u from buying one.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
I also thought I'd be annoyed by this, but I adapted during the test drive. It's more than usable, and I'm glad there is a lower section (well it's a bit harder to tint). If you think the Civic Hatch is bad, go test drive a car like a Camaro where visibility sucks in general!

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
been daily my HB for 3 months now..no problem what-so-ever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
grevic16

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
If you people think it's okay looking out the back glass, more power to ya. It has horrible visibility, and that completely ruined it for me getting it for my wife. And yes, I've owned and driven alot of cars, and yes, the hatchback is shitty out the back glass. Apparently y'all have only 1 or 2 cars in your whole life. There is a difference in a little blind spot, and something blocking your vision. But hey, everyone's different.

Bawb333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
O.o
I've noticed that the spoiler and rear wiper actually help to block the headlights of cars behind me at night lol. If you position yourself right you can kind of alleviate some of the glare from traffic behind you. I'm going to get my auto-dimming mirror put on soon though, so .. eh.

jackquelegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2015 BMW 328i xDrive
Country flag
If you people think it's okay looking out the back glass, more power to ya. It has horrible visibility, and that completely ruined it for me getting it for my wife. And yes, I've owned and driven alot of cars, and yes, the hatchback is shitty out the back glass. Apparently y'all have only 1 or 2 cars in your whole life. There is a difference in a little blind spot, and something blocking your vision. But hey, everyone's different.
Gee sorry that the community disagreed with you when you asked them for their thoughts

OP
OP
grevic16

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
Gee sorry that the community disagreed with you when you asked them for their thoughts
Disagreement is one thing, but saying shit like, "apparently you've never driven or owned many cars blah blah blah", is quite another. I asked for thoughts, not douchebag comments.

CanineGunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
I almost didn't give the hatchback a chance because I was so worried about this. Had no issues when I test drive one. Visibility is fine for me. But I am grading it on a scale that includes things like the Camaro so...
Glad to hear the spoiler can block headlights, that'll come in handy.

Bawb333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
O.o
I almost didn't give the hatchback a chance because I was so worried about this. Had no issues when I test drive one. Visibility is fine for me. But I am grading it on a scale that includes things like the Camaro so...
Glad to hear the spoiler can block headlights, that'll come in handy.
Lol, my friends and I used to joke about the Camaro. If you see one on the road, they DONT see you.

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
The most recent cars that I've owned have been my Civic HB, a Focus HB, and a Prius. I don't notice any difference in visibility between the 3 of them. Actually, I think I like the visibility on the Civic the best. My wife drives an Eclipse Spyder, and that thing has the worst visibility (with the top up) of any car I've driven.
Sponsored