Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I was all set to buy a hatch when they first came out. I love the look. Checked dealers every day to see if they had one in stock. When I saw my first one in person I was ready to buy on the spot.

Then I sat in one. Immediately, my heart sunk. I couldn't believe how huge the C pillar blind spot was. Compared to the sedan, it almost felt claustrophobic. Maybe I could have gotten used to it but I'm overall happy with my sedan.
Sponsored

thatbvictor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport HFP
Country flag
I traded in a Jeep Renegade for my Civic Sport.

The Renegade has a higher seating position, and is higher overall, and was harder to see out of. Read visibility was poor, and the A-pillar was so wide I had to constantly lean one way or another to see around it...

The Civic Sport has very good, usable visibility out the front and back. It's not great, but I don't think it is any worse than it's competitors.

suckmyhatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Hatchback
If you people think it's okay looking out the back glass, more power to ya. It has horrible visibility, and that completely ruined it for me getting it for my wife. And yes, I've owned and driven alot of cars, and yes, the hatchback is shitty out the back glass. Apparently y'all have only 1 or 2 cars in your whole life. There is a difference in a little blind spot, and something blocking your vision. But hey, everyone's different.
LOL I just cant here man this has to be a joke.
If you've owned a lot of cars and the HB has "the worst" visibility you must exclusively be driving in Cadillac Escalades and other over-sized SUVs so stick to that. The rear-view mirror is wider than any other car in my family (Audi S5, Dodge Dart, GMC Sierra 2500, Saturn SC2), the side view mirrors are only beaten by my fathers TRUCK (duh!) and the rear window is more vertical than a typical sedan/coupe (typical with most HB cars hence the need for a rear wiper) therefore, giving you one of the LARGEST views for a car of this type/size/shape.
Also making the decision you're wife's car is pathetic, SHE'S going to be driving it if its HER car. If its YOUR ONLY SHARED car I may not have bothered to add this part in. God bless her dealing with that. Like seriously a little black line (spoiler) maybe 1-2 inches thick and a wiperblade "totally ruin the car for you" I cant image what else you control.

Also if you really need more visibility than what the HB has to offer to feel comfortable driving, I can tell I'd never want to be on the road anywhere near you.
I'm not even revisiting this thread because this has to be a troll/joke/prank. :doh:

Almostfast

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Sport Touring
Country flag
I thought mine was bad at first, but between the backup camera and adjusting my side mirrors differently than I used to, I have no issues.

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
I’m gonna have to agree that “at first” the blind spots in the hatch felt huge, but I’ve gotten used to it over time. My previous cars were an “EK” coupe, GC Impreza, and Mk7 Golf. The first 2 has huge greenhouses so no problems there. Even adding the STi wing on the GC barely cut into my visibility.

But the rising beltline and larger c-pillar on our new Civic hatches took some getting used to, but definitely not a dealbreaker. And like someone mentioned, the rear spoiler manages to block some rear headlights just right. No issue with the rear wiper, I removed mine.

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I’m not the only one that noticed the fact that the rear wiper is useless?:) Had the car for a couple of months now, haven’t had the need to use it once, although during the first months of ownership it rained almost daily. Just like with a sedan, when going past 20-30 mph the water starts clearing the glass. Because the rear spoiler (which some hate so furiously:) ) the upper part of the hatch does not get full of dirt, only the smaller lower part (which apparently some are trying to see out on :) ).

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
Nope, never used it. Even on my Golf, but it didn’t affect visibility on there since the glass was more vertical. On our Civics, you’re staring at the height of the blade and the arm, of wipers that I’ll never turn on.

LegendaryElite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX w/ Sensing
Country flag
Also making the decision you're wife's car is pathetic, SHE'S going to be driving it if its HER car. If its YOUR ONLY SHARED car I may not have bothered to add this part in. God bless her dealing with that. Like seriously a little black line (spoiler) maybe 1-2 inches thick and a wiperblade "totally ruin the car for you" I cant image what else you control.
I feel like this point is not pressed hard enough. It's not about sexualism or driving skill, it's that everyone has different driving habits so picking their own car by themselves is utterly crucial.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
Am I the only one or do others use the rear spoiler as an indicator that the car behind you is too close?

If thier headlights are visible in the lower smaller glass bits = too close.

If thier headlights are above the rear spoiler = safe driving distance.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
once you get the mirrors right, non issue

R3D5IVE

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Hatchback MT6, 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road MT5
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Its got horrible blind spots, but the backup cam takes care of that.

2tango2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX- Lunar Silver
Country flag
OP looks like he is long gone according to last activity but....Yeah the HB does seem a little claustrophobic depending on what car you are used to driving. My wife has a 2010 Fit Sport with 235K on the clock. She likes my car in general but said the limited visibility is a deal breaker for her. Sitting in a Fit is like sitting in a greenhouse so almost any other car is going to feel like it has reduced visibility lol She is a Fit person throughout so that will be her next car. She just loves them.

The right hand mirror camera works great for me. Love that feature. I drove an HHR for a few years...talk about feeling like being in a clown car. Tiny windows all around including the windshield

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the HB does seem a little claustrophobic depending on what car you are used to driving.
That's exactly right. For example, the cars I've owned have generally had very good rear visibility and minimal blind spots. That includes the 3 hatchbacks I've owned. I just feel more comfortable with my driving style having good all around visibility. It's especially important when I go fast in my tuned Civic so I can speed and easily check for the po po. ;)

So, even though I loved everything else about the hatch, I "settled" for an EX-L sedan with it's substantially smaller C pillar and larger rear window view.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Interesting

I’m only 5’9 but once I got my mirrors perfected, no issues with visibility at all.

I actually took it on 2 test drives before buying and recall being shocked at how roomy it felt. To each his own I guess.
Sponsored