Hatchback rear visibility

spanky34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I completely agree that the rear visibility isn't great. I almost didn't buy it because of the visibility. It's my first car with a rear-view camera and it took me a few weeks to forget even trying to look out the rear window while reversing. I don't like relying on the camera so much since I can't tell exactly how close I am, but it's what I've had to do.

When driving, the visibility out the back window hasn't been that bad for me. I thought it was going to be worse than it is. I have adapted my driving style to use my side mirrors a lot more than my rear view mirror because I still find that view basically worthless. [start rant]Speaking of side mirrors, so many people have them positioned incorrectly that it makes my blood boil. For the love of god, if you can see more than the tiniest bit of the side of your car in the mirror, it's wrong. [end rant] End blind spots here

Maybe the civic's visibility is good in the current world of hatchbacks. Compared to the previous sedans/coupes I've driven, it's not so good.
Sponsored

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
Disagreement is one thing, but saying shit like, "apparently you've never driven or owned many cars blah blah blah", is quite another. I asked for thoughts, not douchebag comments.
well let's see...

I have never seen any car with worst rear window visibility.
Well, we know the car does not have the worst rear visibility. Not even close to the worst rear visibility.

In order for a Civic hatchback to rank the lowest in rear visibility, it must be in a small comparison pool.

So logically, in order for the Civic Hatchback to score
...worst rear window visibility.
of
, you must not have driven many cars.

Hence..."you must not have driven many cars."

Logical response based on your claim.

AIBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So far no issues with visibility, but I utilize my side mirrors and shoulder check blind spots regularly to be safe. I thought that was a normal part of driving.

pincusterp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX
I had the same concern when I got my previous car, a 2013 Prius. It did take a short time to get used to, but I adjusted very quickly. Because i'm coming from that Prius, my view is somewhat skewed by that experience. That said, I have zero issue with the visibility.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
If you people think it's okay looking out the back glass, more power to ya. It has horrible visibility, and that completely ruined it for me getting it for my wife. And yes, I've owned and driven alot of cars, and yes, the hatchback is shitty out the back glass. Apparently y'all have only 1 or 2 cars in your whole life. There is a difference in a little blind spot, and something blocking your vision. But hey, everyone's different.
This is where the thread stopped being productive. If you don't like the visibility of the Civic hatch, just move on! It's that simple :) Buy a Civic Sedan or another car altogether.

CarNutAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you people think it's okay looking out the back glass, more power to ya. It has horrible visibility, and that completely ruined it for me getting it for my wife. And yes, I've owned and driven alot of cars, and yes, the hatchback is shitty out the back glass. Apparently y'all have only 1 or 2 cars in your whole life. There is a difference in a little blind spot, and something blocking your vision. But hey, everyone's different.
Just because you have an opinion doesn't make it correct. Sure, it may be valid based upon your personal experience, but it can still be entirely incorrect. 17 replies have been issued to your opinion and inquiry. Of those 17 replies, only 1 person semi-agreed with your opinion, while the other 16 posts rejected your opinion entirely. Given that evidence, it's most likely that your opinion is wrong, considering 16 individuals with no connection other than their experience with the vehicle disagree with you entirely, and 1 person agreed with your opinion only partially. Now that we have established by the numbers that your opinion is wrong, one can safely assume that your wrong opinion has been formulated from your limited experience. We know you had the opportunity to experience the visibility of the Civic Hatchback glass because you told us. What we don't know is how many other vehicles you've experienced to be able to compare the Civic Hatchback visibility. Now that we know your opinion is incorrect by the numbers, one can only assume that you must have very limited experience with other vehicles because how else would you have come up with an incorrect opinion?

The only other logical option in this scenario is that you have actually experienced a wide variety of vehicles, and like everyone else who's posted here, you know what you're saying is incorrect when comparing to other vehicles. If that's the case, you're just an internet troll trying to get a bunch of people to disagree with you for fun. Part of me thinks you're probably a bit of a troll....

techbrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback, 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL, 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring
It may be a driver height issue, as well, just spitballing here...

I am 6' and found the rear visability to be very good on the 2017 Hatchback. Far better than many vehicles that I've driven. I keep my mirror adjusted on the high side, as the view under the spoiler is basically worthless while driving.

spanky34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I am 6' and found the rear visability to be very good on the 2017 Hatchback. Far better than many vehicles that I've driven. I keep my mirror adjusted on the high side, as the view under the spoiler is basically worthless while driving.
6'2 here and I'm the only one that partially agreed with OP. Perhaps it's a height thing like you suggested. I wonder how tall OP is.

izitnick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2017 Civic EX CVT Hatch
Country flag

That's a good point, about the mirror adjustment. I'm only 5'10" but this would maximize my view of the visible-thru portion of the windshield.

I had a hard time adjusting too but I love the car so much, I freely admit I am not very objective about some things.

It's probably addressed elsewhere in the forum but since it is pretty on-topic still: is there a known reason as to why there isn't a lanewatch camera on the driver's side on 10g?

techbrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback, 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL, 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring
It's probably addressed elsewhere in the forum but since it is pretty on-topic still: is there a known reason as to why there isn't a lanewatch camera on the driver's side on 10g?
Is there a driverside camera on any Honda? I am thinking that having the left side of the car show on the right side of the driver (center screen) isn't ideal. I'd want a small screen on the bottom of the A-pillar, if I was king of the world.

izitnick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2017 Civic EX CVT Hatch
Country flag
Is there a driverside camera on any Honda? I am thinking that having the left side of the car show on the right side of the driver (center screen) isn't ideal. I'd want a small screen on the bottom of the A-pillar, if I was king of the world.
Oh, I have no idea if there's one on other Hondas. Just saying that it would really complete the "picture" if you had lanewatch on each side and a rearview camera.

Again, you thought of something I didn't before - if you put the picture from a drivers' side lanewatch camera in the center display, that might confuse the driver accidentally - you're turning your head to the right to see something that is happening on the left. Probably not a great idea, but on the a-pillar would be cool. Maybe if it was the Honda Izitnick Motor Company :D

techbrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe if it was the Honda Izitnick Motor Company :D
If this happens, please license the technology to GMC. I constantly wish for Lanewatch on both sides of my Yukon XL.

Bmorecivic

Bmore turbo civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback sport
Country flag
Wut? You must not have driven many cars then. The Civic Hatchback has a very usable rear view. Try driving a CRZ or 370/350Z to know real pain...off the top of my head. many more normal cars out there with worse visibility than a civic hatchback
I agree..I'm 6"4 & I sit like a king in my 17 Hatchback Sport. I can see perfectly fine out the rear...even installed a bigger upper spoiler--->

Honda Civic 10th gen Hatchback rear visibility IMG_2445.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Hatchback rear visibility IMG_2447.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Hatchback rear visibility IMG_2448.JPG

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No issues whatsoever.

Never owned one but the 370Z was the worst as far as rear visibility. Then again I've only driven it twice for a short period of time.

17Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CRV EXL AWD; 18 CRV EX AWD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No issues with visibility. Find it better than my recent previous vehicles which were SUVs--a Nissan Rogue & Caddy SRX. I don't see how there's any difference in the view out of the back of a sedan, and the Hatch may be even better. I did test drive a Crosstour a few years ago and found visibility poor in that. Are you sure it wasn't just seeing the spoiler and rear wiper distracting you because it's different from what you're used to? Once you're used to seeing it, you don't even notice it.

Did your wife ever test drive it? As a woman, I'd want to make my own decisions about what I drive.

Has anyone done a comparison of the dimensions vs. the Civic sedan? Just curious.
Sponsored