Hatchback Grille installed into 2016 Sedan (with Pics)

OP
OP
NeoDragons

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Finally got around to installing. Took these right after. I think the sky really sets the tone for the black. I literally wouldn't even of attempted this without this thread so I'm really grateful. Thanks for all your help guys!
DSC_0317.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg
nice. love the pics

kcwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Finally got around to installing. ... I literally wouldn't even of attempted this without this thread so I'm really grateful. Thanks for all your help guys!
This post and all its replies made this possible, so thanks so much for being one of the first willing to take the plunge!
CivicsClass, like you this thread has tempted me (altho removing the bumper is a little intimidating).
As a newb, I'm trying to estimate the effort/skill needed.
How much experience do you have with cars & mods? Was this your first big one?

I'm curious to hear from any first timers that removed the bumper and replace their grille. Thanks!

Space Lord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
CivicsClass, like you this thread has tempted me (altho removing the bumper is a little intimidating).
As a newb, I'm trying to estimate the effort/skill needed.
How much experience do you have with cars & mods? Was this your first big one?

I'm curious to hear from any first timers that removed the bumper and replace their grille. Thanks!
This was my first time to take a bumper off of a car and it really wasn't that hard if you take your time. I do have experience with mods but I am more familiar with interior mods like car audio/lighting than exterior mods but the tips on this thread and instructions from Honda basically tell you everything you need to know. Plus all of the helpful people on this site if you have a buddy who can assist you it will be easier and if not I was quoted $120 from a dealer to put it on for me.

CivicsClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sensing WOP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This was the first time I've done anything larger than installing LEDs. Take your time, don't rush, make sure you have the proper tools to remove the clips, the 10mm bolt, and the various screws, and be patient.

this video really really helped as a guide, and I'd suggest watching this a few times before you actually take it off. I'd also recommend purchasing a clip removal tool off of Amazon. I got a 3 pack of different sizes and they all helped in getting this thing off.

Link for the clip tools: KIPTOP 3 Pcs Clip Plier Set & Fastener Remover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBSP7YC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_OyVrTHa74jLkf

& here's a link for the Bit that I purchased for that bolt. TEKTON 14115 1/4-Inch Drive by 10mm Shallow Socket, Cr-V, 6-Point https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NYA1XY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_is87jgHEkHAqh

Once you're separating the grille from the actual bumper, BE CAREFUL. I ended up breaking a few clips on the top of the bumper because it took me way longer than I'd like to admit to figure out that you had to press down and then remove the clips that attach the grill. :doh: Good luck, and if you've got any questions I'll definitely try to answer! It's definitely worth it.

CivicsClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This was the first time I've done anything larger than installing LEDs. Take your time, don't rush, make sure you have the proper tools to remove the clips, the 10mm bolt, and the various screws, and be patient.

this video really really helped as a guide, and I'd suggest watching this a few times before you actually take it off. I'd also recommend purchasing a clip removal tool off of Amazon. I got a 3 pack of different sizes and they all helped in getting this thing off.

Link for the clip tools: KIPTOP 3 Pcs Clip Plier Set & Fastener Remover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBSP7YC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_OyVrTHa74jLkf

& here's a link for the Bit that I purchased for that bolt. TEKTON 14115 1/4-Inch Drive by 10mm Shallow Socket, Cr-V, 6-Point https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NYA1XY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_is87jgHEkHAqh

Once you're separating the grille from the actual bumper, BE CAREFUL. I ended up breaking a few clips on the top of the bumper because it took me way longer than I'd like to admit to figure out that you had to press down and then remove the clips that attach the grill. :doh: Good luck, and if you've got any questions I'll definitely try to answer! It's definitely worth it.
Oh yes, if you are going to purchase a new emblem & emblem base as well (which I'd recommend), MAKE SURE YOU BUY PUSH NUTS TO HOLD IT. I also had to reuse mine which was a pain trying to remove them. Part no. 90301-ST0-003

kcwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L
Country flag
This was my first time to take a bumper off of a car and it really wasn't that hard if you take your time.

this video really really helped as a guide, and I'd suggest watching this a few times before you actually take it off.

Once you're separating the grille from the actual bumper, BE CAREFUL. I ended up breaking a few clips on the top of the bumper because it took me way longer than I'd like to admit to figure out that you had to press down and then remove the clips that attach the grill.
Oh yes, if you are going to purchase a new emblem & emblem base as well (which I'd recommend), MAKE SURE YOU BUY PUSH NUTS TO HOLD IT. I also had to reuse mine which was a pain trying to remove them. Part no. 90301-ST0-003
Space Lord, CivicsClass, thanks for the feedback, additional tips, and encouragement. The last thing I want to do is get halfway, then have to explain to my wife why I disassembled the bumper/grille assembly. :)

I watched the video (was in an earlier post), and will definitely recruit a helper before I do this.

CivicsClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Space Lord, CivicsClass, thanks for the feedback, additional tips, and encouragement. The last thing I want to do is get halfway, then have to explain to my wife why I disassembled the bumper/grille assembly. :)

I watched the video (was in an earlier post), and will definitely recruit a helper before I do this.
Best of luck! Don't be intimidated, I'm sure you're definitely capable of doing this.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
Can this guy be a neighbor of mine, yes he can! I only get useless buffoons, heck even a salesman at another Honda dealer was so lazy that he complained I parked my car too far a way and not right up in front when it was literally an extra 20 feet and out the back door instead of front. OP, I'm just glad you are not so lazy even if it is something you are passionate about!

Edit: love the Rims on OPs car! And makes me appreciate the hatch grill 100x better!

Last edited:

jbatman1080

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (White Orchid Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Installed mine today. Came out great. Went ahead and picked up another emblem because I know how much of a pain those pegs can be. Sure enough i broke one peg and needed it!

Now I need to do something about the other plastics. Thinking of painting gloss black to match.

image.jpg
Hey what part number is that black emblem?