GODSBEST00

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback 10th Gen
Hello, CivicX community.
I am new here and I will be glad to ask for a help before I buy my Civic X.
I can't decide what car to buy - the Manual 6MT or CVT.
On one hand, the CVT acceleration is faster, better fuel economy and it's more convenient for daily use. On other hand, the manual is more fun and can handle more power.

I must say that in my country I can't really find places to drive faster than 150 kmh, and average daily speed outside of the town is 110-90 kmh. Another thing is that I am not planning to upgrade it too much, maybe only ECU tune and maybe few other small stuff.

With all this information hope you can help me to decide and replace my old FD :).

Ty very much
This may be late for you, but in case someone else has the same question, I would strongly suggest to get the CVT if you're using it as a daily driver. Moreover, I would suggest getting the EX model which comes with a very generous amount of tech and comfort. The Honda CVT transmission is very responsive, especially when taking corners. It is important to note that the suspension provides a very engaging and smooth ride. The other thing to consider is the horse power and torque on this turbocharged engine. So in short, consider the vehicle as a whole and not just "transmission". The engineers at Honda have done a great job at bringing different elements together to provide a ride that is not only fuel efficient, but very fun as well.
Sponsored

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Love my CVT EX Hatch. Bought at the end of April this year, now at 7K miles and loving every one of them. Of course, I upgraded from a 2002 Civic LX Manual Sedan, so quite a leap forward.

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i get better mileage in my hatch M/T than in my CVT on highway.....but in city driving the cvt is better....weird hen?

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
i get better mileage in my hatch M/T than in my CVT on highway.....but in city driving the cvt is better....weird hen?
That's what I've seen driving both transmissions in the sedan. I 'can' get the same mpg in the city with the manual , .. but I have to work for it. On the highway, the manual transmission has a 5%+ mpg advantage over the CVT.*

*I think the reason is the CVT keeps the engine running about 500 rpm lower than the MT (which should be beneficial for efficiency), .. BUT it utilizes the turbocharger more(probably to reduce the "rubber band effect") -- which drops the mpg a bit.
/imo, the 1.5 6mt sedan should have an EPA highway rating of 44 or 45 mpg. Honda probably kept it the same as the CVT for marketing purposes.

Last edited:

thebluse

First Name
chipp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Touring 6sp
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello, CivicX community.
I am new here and I will be glad to ask for a help before I buy my Civic X.
I can't decide what car to buy - the Manual 6MT or CVT.
On one hand, the CVT acceleration is faster, better fuel economy and it's more convenient for daily use. On other hand, the manual is more fun and can handle more power.

I must say that in my country I can't really find places to drive faster than 150 kmh, and average daily speed outside of the town is 110-90 kmh. Another thing is that I am not planning to upgrade it too much, maybe only ECU tune and maybe few other small stuff.

With all this information hope you can help me to decide and replace my old FD :).

Ty very much
My advise.....you're sitting their in the car w/ nothing to do, enjoy the shifting....get good at it....no get excellent at it....then really have some fun....

you wanna save gas...then start driving like a trucker...coast to red lights when practical, etc. watch some videos on YouTube to learn the tricks.

I've been owning/driving manuals since 1977....I love it, I own 3 cars w/ manuals....74 Karmann Ghia, look it up if you have to, a 93 accord wagon and a 2020 Civic sport touring....have fun and save gas in the process.

Shielth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic hatchback
Country flag
Well, the CVT has a few downsides. In stop & go traffic, i find that the transmission has a delay in the engagement so it will jolt forwards and be very rough when on & off the throttle from a stop. The CVT has a long delay when accelerating. It's like turbo lag except way worse. You floor it and you wait for the power to kick in but it doesn't happen until 4 seconds later. Overall the transmission is decent at best. Best CVT transmission i've ever driven, but the 6 speed blows it out of the water. It will definitely last you longer than the CVT. The CVT will slowly but surely break on you after a few years like all others.
Thanks for this explanation! I thought i got a lemon. Yes, the cvt is not very fun
Sponsored