omens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi guys!

Going to be a first time Honda owner this year, I’ve been riding around in my wife’s ‘06 Civic as my old Toyota recently gave out. Total car novice here.

I’m between the ‘18 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT and EX CVT. The M6 isn’t an option due to the fact family will sometimes be using the car and can’t drife stick.

What I’m wondering is, is the performance difference negligible between the trims? I know it being a CVT certainly limits it, but whichever trim I get I plan to add a tuner to so I can get a little more performance out of it.

The EX has some nice features, like the moon roof and touch screen, but will I get the same kind of performance out of the CVT with a tuner in the EX as I would the Sport ?
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
wont be the same as one is turboed and one is NA.

you will get a lot more out of the sport turbo

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what dc is talking about because the EX hatchback is most certainly a turbo.

The CVT Sport will only be slightly quicker than the EX hatch if at all. The Sport will handle a touch better. The Sport though is very bare bones as far as features.

As far as a tune. The EX and Sport CVT will be comparable. Remember, it's the same engine. The Sport does have a freer flowing exhaust.

You can't go wrong with either car.

OP
OP
omens

omens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks guys !

DC, my apologies. Both the EX and Sport would be in the Hatch.

Since the engines are in fact the same it looks like the EX will be the winner due to the extra features and minimal price difference, especially if I won’t see much difference in performance.

The dual tip exhaust sure looks nice but I can live without it when gaining the touch screen, remote start, etc.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I prefer the Sport

less electronics = less that can go wrong

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
Go with the EX. You cant buy a car without AA , ACP, push button start, remote start in 2018/2019.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Go with the EX. You cant buy a car without AA , ACP, push button start, remote start in 2018/2019.
Therefore, go with the Hatch ST. What is a couple k$ if you keep the car for several years and you get it all : roof, wheels, tires, leather, paddles, adjustable/heated seats, LED headlights, better sound and what not. Divide the difference by the number of months you will own the car. Think this way: I work hard and I deserve it. If I don't work hard, I will when I get better exhaust. I live but once. I'm saving a lot by not byuying Type R or a BMW.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Gruber, to some people, having a payment that's 75 bucks a month higher may or may not be something they can do. We all have different priorities and budgets. But I do agree if you want a hatch and with CVT, the EX would certainly offer so much more long term value than the Sport. The Sport looks great, but hell, it doesn't even have variable intermittent wipers. Come on Honda, that's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Almostfast

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Sport Touring
Country flag
I was planning on going for an EX. but apparently finding them with sensing like I wanted was quite difficult unless it was black or silver. (two colors I didn't want) they could find me any color in a EX-L, but that only adds leather seats and navigation basically, nothing I needed.

however the sport touring had everything I wanted, along with the sport's looks. so I went with that. got mine for 27k with window tint thrown in for free.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My Sport has variable wipers ...

For 22K you aren’t getting a better looking/more fun car that still offers storage and the practicality of 30+ MPG

Love my Sport ... sit in, start the car, links to Bluetooth, all the “infotainment” I (and anyone else) actually needs. Oh, then I watch the road - rendering all this new “safety tech” BS useless.

Watch the road, have fun, the end.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
Honda did extremely well with the Gen X CVT. 2 years in with it for me. It just smoothly gives you the ideal ratio. Reasonable cruise while the MT would rev too high.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My Sport has variable wipers
As far as I know the LX and Sport don't come with that only the higher trims. Maybe you have two speed intermittent or something not variable. You guys don't even get heated side mirrors which is a must in cold weather.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It sure is funny what people have been deluded into thinking they “must” have

I don’t have heated side mirrors and I managed to survive several snow storms quite fine. Ironically my only concern with getting the Honda was winter driving - but it performed quite well.

For 22K out the door I couldn’t be happier with this car ... not gonna find anything more roomy/fuel efficient/fun to drive, but whatever floats your boat
Sponsored