Hatch Support Shock Damper for the trunk

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
Are they stronger in the UK?
Don’t know but ...it’s the only location I know of where sportline wings come stock on the car. (UK & EU) Anybody over there should be able to help us out by looking up part numbers & specs for these struts...
I’d be willing to pay extra for perfect fit oem UK/EU struts or at least know if it’s possible to find the equivalent here...

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag

Jeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
They will fit, but watch the videos I have on here. The quarter panel flexes due to the increase in too much power from the struts. The ones I was able to find that fit are from a lifting company. Here's the link they gave me:

https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/2...ort-with-10mm-nylon-ball-sockets-pm3427n10-w/
I see, are you using the OEM wing or after market? Because I'm planning on going with OEM and hopefully since it's heavier, it won't have that flex issue.

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I see, are you using the OEM wing or after market? Because I'm planning on going with OEM and hopefully since it's heavier, it won't have that flex issue.
I have the aftermarket ABS Dynamics wing.

ofrie32

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
They will fit, but watch the videos I have on here. The quarter panel flexes due to the increase in too much power from the struts. The ones I was able to find that fit are from a lifting company. Here's the link they gave me:

https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/2...ort-with-10mm-nylon-ball-sockets-pm3427n10-w/
I just bought these and tried them on. Unfortunately, they seem to be a lot weaker than the OEM ones. They states that they should support 135 lbs but I can compress them easily with my hands. I am not sure if the ones I recieved are defectuous but there is no way they can support 135lbs.

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just bought these and tried them on. Unfortunately, they seem to be a lot weaker than the OEM ones. They states that they should support 135 lbs but I can compress them easily with my hands. I am not sure if the ones I recieved are defectuous but there is no way they can support 135lbs.
There is no way to depress them by hand unless you're Superman. I would reach out to them, since they are a company that does this all day long. Ours aren't even depressible by hand (maybe I'm just weak?).

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
There is no way to depress them by hand unless you're Superman. I would reach out to them, since they are a company that does this all day long. Ours aren't even depressible by hand (maybe I'm just weak?).
It really isn't depressible by hand.

ofrie32

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It really isn't depressible by hand.
I just received the replacement set that was sent to me free of charge and they are in fact a lot stronger than the ones I had received before. Awesome customer service and awesome product as well. I might post a few pictures of my car with the new supports when I get home after work.

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just received the replacement set that was sent to me free of charge and they are in fact a lot stronger than the ones I had received before. Awesome customer service and awesome product as well. I might post a few pictures of my car with the new supports when I get home after work.
Please do so, I’d especially be interested in the drivers quarter panel sheet metal affected by it.

ofrie32

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Please do so, I’d especially be interested in the drivers quarter panel sheet metal affected by it.
I plan to wrap my car through the next few weeks and I decided to wait until I'm done before I install the lift supports and my spoiler again. I will sure post pictures when the time comes?

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
What’s the latest on these guys?
Getting tired of the hatch slamming closed so easily with the heavier sportline spoiler installed…. Living with it for now but never expected such a problem to find stronger struts for an FK7 with an added wing or spoiler.
Here is the oem part # on eu sportline struts…74820-TGL-305…. Back ordered & pricy last I heard.

Civic_Andreas

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 VTEC Turbo Sport Plus -17
Country flag
Buy the FK8 ones, they work great and the only problem with this modification is that they are shorter then FK7 original so the trunk only opens 70% of what it should.

ObsidionXI

First Name
Rafal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic FK7
Country flag
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will these struts fit the FK7?
The videos show the strut in the below link.

FINDINGS:
After searching the mighty interwebs and checking Amazon and eBay and going to NAPA, Advanced Auto Parts, and Autozone, I was able to find the closest match to our OEM FK7 struts. Here are my findings:

OEM Specifications (all data is approximate):
OIL BASED STRUT
Center to center length: 22.00”
Travel length: 7.50”
Compressed length: 14.75”
Pressure rating: 530 Newtons (approx. 120 pounds)

Autozone NITROGEN GAS BASED Strut C95208

Center to center length 21.91”
Travel length: 7.50”
Compressed length: 14.79”
Pressure rating MINIMUM: approx 590 Newtons (133.5 pounds)
Pressure rating MAXIMUM: approx 659 Newtons (148.5 pounds)

https://www.autozone.com/collision-...ort/mighty-lift-lift-support-c95208/28142_0_0

I searched through every singe available option in all the stores and pulled out every one to test. I found two that are possible that had data (there is a third but my findings are pending). The one in the link is the closest one out of the two and the one I purchased for the experiment.

CONCLUSION:
If you have an OEM FK8 this will most likely be the route you need to go since the pressure is right where you need it and the dimensions are near impossible to get better than this (not included the website @shadow posted - which I will be furthering my experiment with that at a later time).

If you have an aftermarket wing/spoiler/duckbill/want a stronger strut for the FK7 hatch, there lies ONE issue to resolve. The issue is this: there seems to be a threshold that the quarter panel sheet metal (which the ball for the strut is welded to) can handle. In the shorter of the two videos above, I note the DEFLECTION in the sheet metal. Notice how the strut when it gets fully extended it seems to spring back and cause the body of the car to FLEX.

I spent quite a number of time in these stores and online to find the closest match to the dimensions of the OEM FK7 strut. It seems that is just half the battle. The second half is getting the perfect PRESSURE rating of the strut.

My final analysis and what I will be doing in the near future: I believe if you have the Type R style wing from ABSDynamics (as I do), you will need to go with approximately 130-140 Pounds of pressure. I believe anything more than that is catastrophic to the integrity of the sheet metal in which the ball that the socket of the strut attaches to.

It has been shown that the OEM FK8 strut has a pressure rating of 142 pounds. I think that might be a little too much with the light aftetmarket spoilers (even though the ABSDynamics one seems to be one on the heavier side - still lighter than OEM FK8 wing).

All of that aside, I think it is worth mentioning that the OEM struts are oil filled. There seems to be a dampening effect due to that fact and I might try researching a comparable (oil filled) strut that has the FK7 dimensions.

I’m sure I missed something but hopefully someone can add onto this so we can find a nice aftermarket solution to the struggle our wives and children have when it comes to opening our heavy hatches (and sometimes fall back on their heads since they were open adequately enough).
C54C7657-9837-4FF0-B44E-452F3B7E3E5F.jpeg
I've looked at the different parts for HB's on Honda's Website, and ALL the struts for the rear Hatch have the exact same Part Number. Wether it's an FK7, or an FK8, they're both the same part.

74820-TGH-305

Hatchback Sport, Sport Touring, Type-R, and Type-R LE have all the same?