snyperwolf62

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX w/Honda Sensing
Country flag
Really interesting thread. It's funny how something that seems so simple can lead to a full investigation for a good solution. That being said, I'd also like to know what works because ever since I installed my aftermarket spoiler, the hatch has been much more difficult to open.

So at the moment it looks like these struts seem to be the best solution? https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/2...ort-with-10mm-nylon-ball-sockets-pm3427n10-w/

@ofrie32 do you have any update on how they have been treating you?
Sponsored

Jeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
So I just had a shop install the OEM Type R wing and the mighty lift lift support which was recommended works fine without any of the popping as shown in a previous post.

https://www.autozone.com/collision-...t/p/mighty-lift-lift-support-c95208/28142_0_0

I think the lift isn't strong enough because I still need to provide assistance to fully open the trunk and it can shut easily on it's own with a little push probably because it's on the heavier side, but at least there's no other problems that I can see.

My previous car had an aftermarket wing with stock lift support and the OEM wing with the mighty lift feels a lot better when opening and closing.

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
I've looked at the different parts for HB's on Honda's Website, and ALL the struts for the rear Hatch have the exact same Part Number. Wether it's an FK7, or an FK8, they're both the same part.

74820-TGH-305

Hatchback Sport, Sport Touring, Type-R, and Type-R LE have all the same?
I know for a fact FK8 struts do not fit FK7.
The mount points are at different locations so they are completely different lengths between the 2 struts.
Our house hold has each car. Now I have a spare set for my type R & my wife is still screwed with a heavy hatch door on her FK7 with a sportline wing.
Don’t know how 1 part number would work for all…
I’ve basically given up on this & just deal with weak struts on our FK7 with a wing mounted.

Last edited:

ofrie32

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Really interesting thread. It's funny how something that seems so simple can lead to a full investigation for a good solution. That being said, I'd also like to know what works because ever since I installed my aftermarket spoiler, the hatch has been much more difficult to open.

So at the moment it looks like these struts seem to be the best solution? https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/2...ort-with-10mm-nylon-ball-sockets-pm3427n10-w/

@ofrie32 do you have any update on how they have been treating you?
Hey guys, sorry for the late response.
I have been using the lift support depot struts for a few months now and they are perfect. They are a little strong so I like to hold the hatch when it opens just to dampen the impact when it reaches the top but overall I am very happy with them. The hatch opens all the way easily with the added weight of the spoiler and occasional canadian snow. No issue at all since the purchase.

snyperwolf62

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey guys, sorry for the late response.
I have been using the lift support depot struts for a few months now and they are perfect. They are a little strong so I like to hold the hatch when it opens just to dampen the impact when it reaches the top but overall I am very happy with them. The hatch opens all the way easily with the added weight of the spoiler and occasional canadian snow. No issue at all since the purchase.
So I got the PM3427N10 struts but they turned out to be way weaker than the ones I replaced! Lol
I don't think there's anything wrong with it because I can't compress them by hand, they just don't hold up the weight of my trunk. I'm going to contact the seller and see if there is a better choice.

snyperwolf62

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I got the PM3427N10 struts but they turned out to be way weaker than the ones I replaced! Lol
I don't think there's anything wrong with it because I can't compress them by hand, they just don't hold up the weight of my trunk. I'm going to contact the seller and see if there is a better choice.
Contacted Lift Support via email, very helpful customer service. They explained that the lifts I purchased at first were no where near rated for the weight of my trunk. They walked me through how to return them for a refund and showed me the correct lifts to order instead. These new ones are rated for 133lbs and they work beautifully. I had to install them shaft side down to get the dampening effect near the end of full extension because when I tried installing them shaft side up like OEM, it was swinging open too hard towards the end.

https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/2...-with-compact-10mm-ball-sockets-pm3625n10s-w/
[edit: corrected link]

Last edited:

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Contacted Lift Support via email, very helpful customer service. They explained that the lifts I purchased at first were no where near rated for the weight of my trunk. They walked me through how to return them for a refund and showed me the correct lifts to order instead. These new ones are rated for 133lbs and they work beautifully. I had to install them shaft side down to get the dampening effect near the end of full extension because when I tried installing them shaft side up like OEM, it was swinging open too hard towards the end.

https://ahparts.com/buy-used/2016-s...lay-assy-pt546-00140-bu-pt54600140bu/375563-1
Wrong link unless we want a scion nav screen… lol

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/2...-with-compact-10mm-ball-sockets-pm3625n10s-w/
Bought these and the hatch bounces big time when hitting end stops. It’s like there is no dampener inside to prevent this.
The search continues.
I wonder if the oem supplier, stabilus has one that will fit?
The fk8 struts are shorter & mount more in the middle of the hatch door so those won’t work

Civic_Andreas

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 VTEC Turbo Sport Plus -17
Country flag
I have the FK8 on my FK7 for 2 years now and its works great, the trunk wont open fully but it doesnt bother me at all.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
Hey.

I know this is an older thread but would anyone have a photo of the mounting point on the FK8 tailgate?

It looks like the mount on the car body is in the same place on both models so I'm wondering if I can simply drill the mounting point on my FK7 in the FK8 location, add a plate behind for strengthening and use the factory FK8 dampers.

The FK7 tailgate has the mounting supports inside for the Type-R wing so I'm guessing there's not a whole lot in the difference. It looks like they just spot welded a support on the inside, behind the ball joint.

The fk8 struts are shorter & mount more in the middle of the hatch door so those won’t work
Edit: Do you still have access to both models, @flacobill ? Could you post pics of the tailgate mount? Thanks. đź‘Ť

Last edited:

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
So I went and removed the trim on my FK7 tailgate for a little look.

It has a little brace behind the ball connector to stiffen it, but it's nothing special. I reckon I can easily drill a hole in the FK8 spot and use a piece of 2mm plate backing on the inside, maybe even add a plate on the outside, but I don't think that will be necessary. Then just screw in one of these ball heads. I've done similar jobs on loads of cars in the past without any issues.
Honda Civic 10th gen Hatch Support Shock Damper for the trunk 61c2VY66bLL._SX342_

Also, I noticed that my quarter panel doesn't have any of that flex that was shown in the video somewhere in this thread. I'm not sure exactly what's different, other than mine being made in the UK.

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

bringing back from the dead. I only changed one side and felt it was good enough. It started to lift itself at the 65% - 70% mark which is great. Before that I always had to help it all the way to 90% and then it would stay. Thanks all for finding this.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hatch Support Shock Damper for the trunk 5789FDB5-8B95-481B-88FA-EDE5AB44EE64

Honda Civic 10th gen Hatch Support Shock Damper for the trunk 687D0885-4D3C-483C-A213-DC9F39925658

Honda Civic 10th gen Hatch Support Shock Damper for the trunk 39668417-04A6-46F9-BEFF-154CB15DC2BD