TheProfessional
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
The mounting points must be different on the boot lid since they look the same on the car.
As you can see the shocks are pointing more upwards on the FK8.
I dont think you can drill new holes :(

Pic 1: FK7
Pic 2: FK8

honda_civic_sport_hatchback_23.jpg

honda-civic-type-r-boot-space.jpg
I'm hoping to meet a friend of mine who owns a type-r so i can do an actual comparison in person. I'll make sure take detailed pictures and record some video too.

Civic_Andreas

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 VTEC Turbo Sport Plus -17
Country flag
I'm hoping to meet a friend of mine who owns a type-r so i can do an actual comparison in person. I'll make sure take detailed pictures and record some video too.
Oki that would be nice to see some pictures ?
I will take som pictures as soon as i can so you can se how much the trunk will open with FK8 shocks.

OP
OP
TheProfessional
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Oki that would be nice to see some pictures ?
I will take som pictures as soon as i can so you can se how much the trunk will open with FK8 shocks.
You mean your fk7 hatchback installed with the type-r wing and the fk8 shock/dampers, right?

Civic_Andreas

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 VTEC Turbo Sport Plus -17
Country flag
You mean your fk7 hatchback installed with the type-r wing and the fk8 shock/dampers, right?
Sorry for late reply, here is some pictures of how it looks and how much the trunk opens with FK8 boot shocks on a FK7.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hatch Support Shock Damper for the trunk IMG_20200908_110914

Honda Civic 10th gen Hatch Support Shock Damper for the trunk IMG_20200908_110958

Honda Civic 10th gen Hatch Support Shock Damper for the trunk IMG_20200908_111004

Honda Civic 10th gen Hatch Support Shock Damper for the trunk IMG_20200908_111018

Last edited:

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Are there any aftermarket dampers that are stronger than OEM ones and still the same length as an FK7?

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does anyone have the diameter of the ball ends? If it is 10mm there is a company that sells gas struts of different lengths and pressures.

https://www.ebay.com/str/strut-your-stuff-here/19-inches-in-length/_i.html?_storecat=3007352017

The FK8 strut are a about 19" and 635N=142lbs of pressure. The only question is the diameter of the ball ends.

I've had a set of these for the CF hood of my STI for over 5 years and they are still working perfectly.

Just measured. They are indeed 10mm. So what link will give me the strongest strut to handle an FK7 hatch with a OEM FK8 wing?

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just measured. They are indeed 10mm. So what link will give me the strongest strut to handle an FK7 hatch with a OEM FK8 wing?
Before suggesting a strut, we need to what is the longest (compressed) length that will fit the car.

Check these specs with the space available:

Fully extended … 24.4 inches … Fully retracted … 13.75 inches (center to center of the ball socket)

Will a 13.75" strut fit when the hatch is closed?

Last edited:

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Before suggesting a strut, we need to what is the longest (compressed) length that will fit the car.

Fully extended … 24.4 inches … Fully retracted … 13.75 inches (center to center of the ball socket)

The fully retreated length from the center to center of the ball is 15.00 inches. So a shorter strut should fit (but will be applying some pressure since it won’t be fully retracted). The length of the OEM strut is 22.00 inches. The hatch seems to allow a 22.75 inch opening.
So is there a stronger strut (FK8 pressure or higher) that is 15” closed and 22” open?

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Photo of OEM strut.

Photo of OEM strut.
Honda Civic 10th gen Hatch Support Shock Damper for the trunk 80FA2468-CAE0-49E2-B766-45C32337493F

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The fully retreated length from the center to center of the ball is 15.00 inches. So a shorter strut should fit (but will be applying some pressure since it won’t be fully retracted). The length of the OEM strut is 22.00 inches. The hatch seems to allow a 22.75 inch opening.
So is there a stronger strut (FK8 pressure or higher) that is 15” closed and 22” open?
Following this thread. Definitely something I have been wanting to change out since installing the type r spoiler. Everyone always says how heavy it is to lift my trunk. So far looks like the fk8 trunk strut fit but only allows 70% opening of the trunk. Don’t like the sound of that.

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So a shorter strut should fit (but will be applying some pressure since it won’t be fully retracted). The length of the OEM strut is 22.00 inches. The hatch seems to allow a 22.75 inch opening.
A strut will always extert pressure when it is compressed. Imagine a coil spring. It exerts pressure whether fully or partially compressed. A slightly short strut is not a problem.

That out of the way, I found a better site to find struts:

www.liftsupportsdepot.com

Just enter your parameters and a list of possible struts are presented. You just have to decide how much more pressure than the FK8 you'd like. Stock FK8 struts are 635 newtons or 142.75 lb.

Don't go too high because it will put extra strain on the ball ends when the hatch is closed.

I just noticed that the ball socket of the OEM strut slightly angled.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hatch Support Shock Damper for the trunk 1616374056366

The aftermarket struts are all straight. I wonder it that would be an issue. If threaded on, could it be swapped over?

Last edited:

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A strut will always extert pressure when it is compressed. Imagine a coil spring. It exerts pressure whether fully or partially compressed. A slightly short strut is not a problem.

That out of the way, I found a better site to find struts:

www.liftsupportsdepot.com

Just enter your parameters and a list of possible struts are presented. You just have to decide how much more pressure than the FK8 you'd like. Stock FK8 struts are 635 newtons or 142.75 lb.

Don't go too high because it will put extra strain on the ball ends when the hatch is closed.

I just noticed that the ball socket of the OEM strut slightly angled.

1616374056366.png

The aftermarket struts are all straight. I wonder it that would be an issue. If threaded on, could it be swapped over?
do you have a link with the documentation of the FK8 strut pressure?

also, I think the angle is an illusion. Here’s a video: