Rey23
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #01928
Country flag
So I ordered the Seibon Red Carbon spoiler for the Type R. It hasn't arrived yet, but I figured I would check the OEM install instructions.

In the parts list, it now lists tailgate support struts and the tailgate grip covers. I have seen other posts about complaints on the grip covers so that isn't surprising. Is Honda admitting that their could be issues with the support struts? Has anyone had issues with their hatch staying open?
Sponsored

Attachments

Eagle_f90

I don't think this is a "problem" exactly. The new struts are designed for the reduced weight of the spoiler with the change. When I had a CR-Z the OEM lip spoler came with new struts as well. This is just something honda does to insure 100% proper function of everything.

wewong

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
I’m guessing the new struts are actually giving less force because of the lighter weight of the CF wing. So if you don’t change the struts, it will require more force to close the hatch. Just my guess, since I haven’t replaced mine.

OP
OP
rey2300

rey2300

Rey23
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #01928
Country flag
Possibly, I wouldn't think that little of a weight differential would make that big of a difference. I guess I'll find out. I'm pretty sure those extra parts weren't initially part of the CF Wing accessory.

wEaK Squad

*ATL*
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CBP FK8
Country flag
I know when swapping to a carbon hood, many times the shocks are too aggressive and will send the hood flying up really quickly. Not sure if just the carbon spoiler would cause that big of a change though.

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
We always had to replace the trunk springs or hatch struts when installing trunk spoilers on new cars at the dealer, it's common. I'm sure this has always been the case with accessory spoilers, it just may not be listed where you saw it. They want the accessory to be as easy for the customer as possible - don't bother them with the details. It's part of why accessory spoilers are so expensive. And the little trim pieces on the handles are, as far as I can tell, required to be replaced whenever the hatch trim is removed. One time use trim is uncommon for Honda, but it seems to be the case.
Sponsored