Has anyone wrapped their own car?

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
Im looking to wrap my entire SI coupe soon but I'm already stuck. Is Amazon an ok source for the materials? How big of a roll do I need? And is any one brand better than the other? I looking at 3M and Rvinyl. Im also looking to match the 9th gen SI orange as closely as possible so if anyone knows of one lmk please. I think 3M bright orange is close but it may be way off in person. TIA for your advice.
Sponsored

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've only done DIY partial wraps (did between the bodylines of my hood, and extended it to the bumper below the grill a bit), the b/c pillars, and a good amount of interior trim. That said, I can't really speak on a full car wrap. The hood/bumper I did used the better part of a 5'x5' roll (possibly could've gotten by with a 5'x4' roll). From what I've seen on youtube videos, measure out what you wanna wrap, then add a foot to be on the safe side.

3M 1080 is good stuff (2080 has since replaced the 1080 line) and Amazon is a perfectly fine source to purchase. Avery SW900 is also pretty good. Heard some decent stuff about Vvivid, but I had a bad experience ordering off Amazon since the listing said for interior/exterior use, and they promptly changed the listing (and refunded me) after I showed them a pic of how the roll of red carbon fiber vinyl I used turned pink in the sun after 2 weeks. Needless to say, I ordered a 1'x5' roll of gloss Vvivid carbon fiber vinyl from Amazon to test it out and see if I wanna change the matte 3M carbon fiber on my hood to a gloss look. I've heard Sott-elemento, orcal, and hexis are other brands I've read good things about, but have zero experience with.

Like I said earlier, Amazon is a perfectly fine source for vinyl. Most of my stuff was ordered from Amazon, except the big sheet I used for my hood, which I ordered from metrorestyling.com. My old roomie ordered from rvinyl, but he ordered 3M 1080 matte black to chrome delete his (now) wife's Infiniti. If you're stuck between colors and/or finishes, order small 3"x5" samples. A couple bucks per sample is a small price to make sure you're getting the color you want.

As far as color matching orange fire pearl.. 3M's Gloss Burnt Orange (G14) looks pretty damn close. Kinda hard to tell without an actual side by side, since it looks lighter in some pics and pretty damn spot on in others. I've also found pics where their Gloss Liquid Copper (G344) looks damn close with a metallic effect, and some pics where it looks quite a bit darker, and some pics where it looks like like.. brand new penny copper.

edit: for bigger wrap jobs like you're planning, youtube the ever living shit out of different wrapping techniques, particularly corners and hard curves. Doing a large flat surface for the first time was a lot more difficult than I imagined it being.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@cameron.hill wrapped his 2020 si coupe with a friend. He has youtube videos going over his experience wrapping a car for the first time. Maybe you’ll be able to get some useful tips from it.
i HIGHLY recommend watching the later videos as well where he take it off and realize it pretty much ruined the paint to have all that glue stuck to his almost brand new car...

Sponsored