Has anyone used the Hondata +6 PSI tune on CVT with Regular Fuel

echoparkpanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just bought the Flash Pro (waiting for it to arrive)

Was just curious as the figures shown on Hondata’s site for the +6 tune was on higher octane fuel. Has anyone run the +6 on a CVT with regular fuel?
Sponsored

Spunkster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CTR, 2x 98 ITR's, 88 Integra, 06 RSX Type S
Country flag

Was just curious as the figures shown on Hondata’s site for the +6 tune was on higher octane fuel. Has anyone run the +6 on a CVT with regular fuel?
The details on this can be found at: https://www.hondata.com/flashpro/flashpro-2016-civic?filter=6

Then click on the calibrations tab and you will see where it talks about the fuel used for the dyno runs.

There is a 5-7 hp difference between using 87 and 91 octane fuel.

omygod711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag

Please share your experience with the tune with regular fuel. I am considering it for my cvt civic too.

omygod711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
It's not about the hp, as much as it's about the higher possibility of engine knock
From what I understand, the tune should improve the engine response such as spooling the turbo earlier. Would I feel any difference with say a lower level tune such as +3 on regular fuel and still get the improved response but less chance for knock? Or if I don't want to use premium fuel, I might as well not tune since the risk of knocking and difference in power gain is just not worth it.

OP
OP
echoparkpanda

echoparkpanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update: Currently I am running the +6 tune on my CVT and it definitely is night and day difference. Turbo spools up much quicker and there's more power in the 1000-2000 rpm range (almost doubled according to hondata's dyno). I'm currently running 91 octane (the highest in my area of socal) and there's no noticeable knocking. When I first changed the tune, I had a half tank of 87 but also did not experience knock.

On the +3 tune, it definitely is still a big difference over stock but not as quick to spool the turbo like the +6.

All in all, I recommend running premium none the less even on stock map.

HMan

AB 1.5T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe EXT
From what I understand, the tune should improve the engine response such as spooling the turbo earlier. Would I feel any difference with say a lower level tune such as +3 on regular fuel and still get the improved response but less chance for knock? Or if I don't want to use premium fuel, I might as well not tune since the risk of knocking and difference in power gain is just not worth it.
what does hondata recommend? I have a ktuner , I always run 93.

omygod711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
what does hondata recommend? I have a ktuner , I always run 93.
I don't see any recommendation from hondata but I do see ktuner claim 87 is ok. I mainly interested in the extra power in the 1000-2000 rpm range. I planned to run it for 120,000 before trading in for another car so I don't want to push CVT too hard.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I mainly interested in the extra power in the 1000-2000 rpm range.
Honestly, I don't think there will be a huge difference at such a low RPM especially with the +3 tune. Much bigger difference in the meat of the power/torque band like 2500-4500.

OP
OP
echoparkpanda

echoparkpanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I'm running the +6 PSI on 87 octane. Can those who are more experienced with reading these graphs and percentages tell me if I should continue or change to higher octane fuel?
There seems to be a higher Knock Control % versus having 50%-60% when on 91 octane, should I be concerned?

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone used the Hondata +6 PSI tune on CVT with Regular Fuel +6 PSI on 87

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
you guys keep talking about engine knock.......you won't get any, the computer takes care of that.
You WILL get less hp if you run regular as the computer cuts back on the power.

BUT.....Why in the world would you spend money on a tune and want to run low octane fuel?
It's like buying a $50.00 steak and putting ketchup on it!!

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Doing some research and came across this thread. With respect to all, I think we all get caught up in the chase for squeezing out a couple extra HP/torque. While 91 octane will get you 5 or 6 more HP in the charts, the seat-of-the-pants dyno probably won't be able to tell the difference...and it definately won't really get you to work any faster.

That being said, it would be great to have a tune for everyday driving that would give you a bit more kick on the bottom end while running 87 octane...and didn't adversely affect the longevity of the engine. +3?

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag

For those running an additional +6psi and not following the recommended octane, you are losing much more than just Hp/Tq.
Understanding that increased pressure equals higher heat is basic. The VTC does a rather good job with scavenging, but as your ignition timing decreases you will eventually understand what that pressure and heat will do over time.
At the cost of $.30/ga more for premium fuel X 12ga would take you 152 Full Fill-Ups OR 45,600mi (avg 300mi a tank) in order to match the cost of just a V.1 from KTuner.
Save the purchase of the tuner and stay on 87oct. It will provide you with an additional $550 of disposable income for regularly scheduled maintenance.

There is the ZERO tune that is basically a stock boost level with some quick adjustments. But, is that what someone would purchase the tuner for...

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I really hate when people claim these cars don't knock. The computer will do what it can to prevent it based on estimate algorithms combined with knock sensor activity but it surely isn't ideal to have any knock control higher than the 49% or 54% depending on which tuning software your running. Period. Even stock.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
I really hate when people claim these cars don't knock. The computer will do what it can to prevent it based on estimate algorithms combined with knock sensor activity but it surely isn't ideal to have any knock control higher than the 49% or 54% depending on which tuning software your running. Period. Even stock.
That is absolutely correct @PowerPerLiter .
Using the correct octane a tune recommends will bring the K.Count to .49 and would NET MBT. That’s what we really want.
Sponsored

Last edited: