Has anyone tried using the LE ADS module on the base non-LE CTR ?

OP
OP

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Lol... I guess I'm like the only one interested in this potential mod? I thought I recall a couple of people having both models at their disposal, saying they would try it out and report back, but haven't heard anything. Isn't it a simple matter of plug and play?

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
Im sure you can however the LE comes with different spring rates so I doubt handling would be ideal. The MY20+ unit would probably be a better swap if it's possible but even then there's still different bushings, trailing arms, and low friction ball joints so it still might not be as composed as MY20+ Rs.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
The EPS programming would probably be easier to transfer. I've been trying to find someone with an HDS unit to help me experiment but it's slow going.

OP
OP

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I have a 2021 model.

So is it confirmed that the LE has stiffer springs? Did anyone do a compression test or measure the thickness with calipers to compare?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
The EPS programming would probably be easier to transfer. I've been trying to find someone with an HDS unit to help me experiment but it's slow going.
You can't transfer random programs with the HDS. When using it, it has an icon for "rewrites" (pcm software updates), when clicking it, the HDS will automatically read out the software on the current vehicle and then list any potential updates you can choose to do. It will not allow you to upload LE software to a non-LE car. I tried with my own lol.

It's not pick and upload your software unfortunately. It's just self-checks and allows only per the trim and model.

OP
OP

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You can't transfer random programs with the HDS. When using it, it has an icon for "rewrites" (pcm software updates), when clicking it, the HDS will automatically read out the software on the current vehicle and then list any potential updates you can choose to do. It will not allow you to upload LE software to a non-LE car. I tried with my own lol.

It's not pick and upload your software unfortunately. It's just self-checks and allows only per the trim and model.
You have both the base touring and the LE? Would trying the LE ADS module on the base car potentially work then?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a 2021 model.

So is it confirmed that the LE has stiffer springs? Did anyone do a compression test or measure the thickness with calipers to compare?
It's a different part in the catalog for 2021 vs 21LE. I'd say that's a safe bet.

OP
OP

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It's a different part in the catalog for 2021 vs 21LE. I'd say that's a safe bet.
Stupid question. People have said the springs are different to compensate for the slight decrease in overall weight on the LE. So not only would the ride feel stiffer (for performance benefits), would it be correct in saying that the base car will sit ever so slightly lower with the LE springs then as well?

Heck, even if the ADS modules aren't interchangeable, I just may do this spring mod anyway. I've been looking for a suspension mod that 1)retains stock height (or ever so slightly lower), 2)something stiffer, and 3)retains the use of damper modes. Swift springs are too low for me and high end stiff coilovers that can emulate stock height can't use the drive modes. So the LE springs could be a good choice in this situation, no?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You have both the base touring and the LE? Would trying the LE ADS module on the base car potentially work then?
I don't know what that would do. You may get a software mis-match DTC on the FCAN circuit. It happens when you mix up components or run different software programs for units that depend on each other often, like PCM and TCM or EPS and VSA/SRS.

I check often for software updates on my 18CTR, so far they have only had a PGM-FI engine update. Anything they release will be what Honda refers to as "running changes" or fixes. Issues like cold start air/fuel trims and mis-interpretations of data setting false DTC. It will be software that makes the car run BETTER than before or increases longevity. But I don't think Honda will be doing us any favors dropping LogR or ADS updates for non-LE owners.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So the LE springs could be a good choice in this situation, no?
I mean, bottom line, will you even notice a difference? The LE is what, 50lbs lighter? That can be achieved on the standard model by replacing the battery with a light weight drycell unit and few other tiny bits, or wheels alone. Taking weight off the base CTR will have the same effect as stiffer springs. If the Base vs LE differences were dramatically different, I would say pull the trigger but in reality they are pretty close.

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
I don't know what that would do. You may get a software mis-match DTC on the FCAN circuit. It happens when you mix up components or run different software programs for units that depend on each other often, like PCM and TCM or EPS and VSA/SRS.

I check often for software updates on my 18CTR, so far they have only had a PGM-FI engine update. Anything they release will be what Honda refers to as "running changes" or fixes. Issues like cold start air/fuel trims and mis-interpretations of data setting false DTC. It will be software that makes the car run BETTER than before or increases longevity. But I don't think Honda will be doing us any favors dropping LogR or ADS updates for non-LE owners.
Is the PGM-FI update something the dealer can flash if the car is brought it? Is there any benefit?

jmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NSX-T & 2021 Civic Type R LE USA-029
Country flag
Stupid question. People have said the springs are different to compensate for the slight decrease in overall weight on the LE. So not only would the ride feel stiffer (for performance benefits), would it be correct in saying that the base car will sit ever so slightly lower with the LE springs then as well?

Heck, even if the ADS modules aren't interchangeable, I just may do this spring mod anyway. I've been looking for a suspension mod that 1)retains stock height (or ever so slightly lower), 2)something stiffer, and 3)retains the use of damper modes. Swift springs are too low for me and high end stiff coilovers that can emulate stock height can't use the drive modes. So the LE springs could be a good choice in this situation, no?
LE is stiffer based on my having owned a 2018. It doesn't have to be lower and I don't think it is. The LE different part number tends to give credence that a stiffer spring was used.

OP
OP

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I mean, bottom line, will you even notice a difference? The LE is what, 50lbs lighter? That can be achieved on the standard model by replacing the battery with a light weight drycell unit and few other tiny bits, or wheels alone. Taking weight off the base CTR will have the same effect as stiffer springs. If the Base vs LE differences were dramatically different, I would say pull the trigger but in reality they are pretty close.
If the LE only weighs 50 pounds less, I don't get why Honda even wasted resources and time to develop new spring parts for the LE. The variance in weight between different drivers can be way more than 50 pounds too. I would like to think the different springs on the LE are for performance reasons, not just to compensate for a miniscule decrease in weight.

Though I have to say, looking at YT reviews, you can easily see the whole car getting lower as they're getting into the LE, just like the base car. So the spring rates may not be much different. When I swapped in CR springs on my base S2000, the car barely went down at all when I got into the car. Now that was a dramatic increase compared to base rates.

jmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NSX-T & 2021 Civic Type R LE USA-029
Country flag
If the LE only weighs 50 pounds less, I don't get why Honda even wasted resources and time to develop new spring parts for the LE. The variance in weight between different drivers can be way more than 50 pounds too. I would like to think the different springs on the LE are for performance reasons, not just to compensate for a miniscule decrease in weight.

Though I have to say, looking at YT reviews, you can easily see the whole car getting lower as they're getting into the LE, just like the base car. So the spring rates may not be much different. When I swapped in CR springs on my base S2000, the car barely went down at all when I got into the car. Now that was a dramatic increase compared to base rates.
I agree it was stiffer for performance reasons.
Sponsored