Has anyone tried ScotchGuard on their Cloth Seats?

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Curious to know if this helps prevent any of that weird fading or other issues people are experiencing?
Sponsored

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do use Scotchgard but only on the carpets.

Spilt my coffee and seemed to do its job it that it didn't soak in.

Last time I had cloth seats was in 1999, my first car.

OP
OP
jvivlemore

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not normally a cloth fan but now being in Oklahoma wanted something that wasn't going to be scorching hot in the summer.

mikewo6o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Accord, 2017 Honda Civic
Curious to know if this helps prevent any of that weird fading or other issues people are experiencing?
Yes, I have always used ScotchGuard on all my vehicles with cloth upholstery. Used it on my wife's Civic with the ivory cloth seats. Never had a problem with any vehicle I have used it on. I always use the regular ScotchGuard with the petroleum based solvent but there used to be an automotive version with a water based solvent. Didn't smell as bad while the solvent cured-out. It was like a foam material....I remember I didn't like it as well.

Can't respond to you questions regarding the fading or other issues people might be having as our Civic is about 3 months old.

KMG

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, 2014 Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
I am going to be applying Gtechniq l1 Smart Fabric here in the next week or two in our Si, and I have previously used CQuartz Fabric in the past on other vehicles that has worked well. We have 3 kids and they are hell on the interior of vehicles usually. Both are pretty simple to apply if you want something to apply yourself.

Tyler

Drive Clean!
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2005 BMW M3, 2008 BMW 335i, 2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
I am going to be applying Gtechniq l1 Smart Fabric here in the next week or two in our Si, and I have previously used CQuartz Fabric in the past on other vehicles that has worked well. We have 3 kids and they are hell on the interior of vehicles usually. Both are pretty simple to apply if you want something to apply yourself.
The Gtechniq product is great. I use that and CQuartz (just that the l1 is much more affordable).
ScotchGuard is good to, but I would recommend either of the above options based on previous experience.

OP
OP
jvivlemore

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's the difference in quality and effectiveness between ScotchGuard, Gtechniq, and CQuartz for those who have used all three? Also, for those using ScotchGuard are you using the special automotive version or the regular one?

KMG

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, 2014 Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
I really can't comment on the performance of the Scotchguard product as I have not used them really. As for the other two I have used CQuartz quite a few times and it has always performed great. But like Tyler mentioned the Gtechniq product is quite a bit cheaper and I have seen excellent reviews from other detailers on it. I have a small bottle that I will be applying and reviewing for the AAP Blog on Detailed Image. Any of these will likely work just fine for you probably.

Tyler

Drive Clean!
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2005 BMW M3, 2008 BMW 335i, 2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
Having used all three products, here is what I would say:
  • CQuartz has the longest durability, and seems to absorb less. However, much higher price point.
  • Gtechniq hits the middle mark, with great durability and still less absorption. Longer drying time required than ScotchGuard. Cost-effective price point.
  • ScotchGuard doesn't last as long as either above IMO, so I no longer use it. Was a good product - just not as good.
Keep in mind that regardless of the product you choose - even with proper application and multiple coats, you will still have some absorption over time. Fabric is flexible after all, and there will always be a small amount of 'leak' as pathways open to potentially untreated areas or simply lower levels of the fibers. Better products, however, lessen this.

Personally, I recommend the Gtechniq product quite often.

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
Does anyone know if scotch guard is safe to use on heated seats, or at least will the heated seats reduce it's effect?

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2014 Kia Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Scotchguard or any of these other fabric coatings will have no effect on your heated seats, nor will the heated seats effect the durability of the coating.
Sponsored