Has anyone successfully updated the NAV using macOS

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I think I am running into two / multiple problems when attempting to update the maps / NAV in my 2016 Touring.

1. The first one, and the crux of the problem, is that I am not getting the Navigation system to write anything to my USB drive. I got it to work ONCE - writing out a "garmin.xml" file (I think) but every other time it appears the USB drive is blank even though I get a message on the NAV screen that something was written to the USB drive. So I am getting conformation it is working on the screen although nothing is getting written it appears.
  2. And no surprise, the Garmin Express app doesn't find anything to use and therefore doesn't get past the "Plug In a Device, ANT Stick or Memory Card"
For what it is worth, I am using the driver side USB port (behind the radio) versus the one deep in the center console - although I have tried both.

I have tried a couple of USB memory sticks, leaving them formatted as both macOS and FAT32 (knowing the directions say to use FAT32) but it hasn't made a difference. I have tried all combinations that I can think of but I can't get it to write anything to the USB drive other than the one random time it did work.

While I do not have easy access to a real Windows machine, I did go as far as formatting the USB drive using a VM of Windows 10 running on my MacBook Pro instead of using Disk Utility on the Mac thinking it might be a weird formatting issues - which it still could be.

Any other suggestions you all can think of that I could try.

RC
Sponsored

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I got mine to work (only did it once so far) and pretty much went by the directions Garmin gave. The directions kinda suck, though, but it worked. I don't have a VM of Windows, and I used Disk Utility.

Just to have the link handy:
https://honda.garmin.com/honda/?lang=en#getStarted

Try wiping the USB stick and formatting to FAT32, then take it to the car again. Do the step to "pair" the stick with the Garmin nav (I know "pair" isn't the right term, but it makes sense) and, like it says in the linked page, do not remove it for at least a full minute even after the screen says it's completed. On macOS, we're accustomed to being able to remove a drive when the OS says it's okay -- click the Eject icon, let it process, and it's done -- but the UI in the car doesn't accurately represent what must be happening while the file is being written.

Then take it back to your Mac and see if Garmin Express finds the USB stick.

Brit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic CVT
Similar situation here. I'm in the UK but assume it's the same head unit.

Sandisk 16GB USB stick formatted in Disk Utility to FAT32. Garmin info transferred from car. The stick mounts on my mac desktop and I can see the Garmin file on there but Garmin Express just doesn't find it.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Cheers

mosf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
I think I am running into two / multiple problems when attempting to update the maps / NAV in my 2016 Touring.

1. The first one, and the crux of the problem, is that I am not getting the Navigation system to write anything to my USB drive. I got it to work ONCE - writing out a "garmin.xml" file (I think) but every other time it appears the USB drive is blank even though I get a message on the NAV screen that something was written to the USB drive. So I am getting conformation it is working on the screen although nothing is getting written it appears.
  2. And no surprise, the Garmin Express app doesn't find anything to use and therefore doesn't get past the "Plug In a Device, ANT Stick or Memory Card"
For what it is worth, I am using the driver side USB port (behind the radio) versus the one deep in the center console - although I have tried both.

I have tried a couple of USB memory sticks, leaving them formatted as both macOS and FAT32 (knowing the directions say to use FAT32) but it hasn't made a difference. I have tried all combinations that I can think of but I can't get it to write anything to the USB drive other than the one random time it did work.

While I do not have easy access to a real Windows machine, I did go as far as formatting the USB drive using a VM of Windows 10 running on my MacBook Pro instead of using Disk Utility on the Mac thinking it might be a weird formatting issues - which it still could be.

Any other suggestions you all can think of that I could try.

RC
Any luck with this? I'm running to the same issue where I can't get the nav system to write anything to my USB drive. I've tried multiple times to no avail. Have you managed to figure out a solution? Thanks!

OP
OP

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Any luck with this? I'm running to the same issue where I can't get the nav system to write anything to my USB drive. I've tried multiple times to no avail. Have you managed to figure out a solution? Thanks!
I have not but in all honesty, I also have not tried. But I have been meaning to. Maybe I'll take another crack at it this weekend.

mosf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
Hi!

I figured it out. You need to set the partition scheme to 'Master Boot Record' when formatting the USB drive on Mac. In Disk Utility, click the top left View icon, select 'Show All Devices.' Right-click the container disk (parent drive) of the USB drive, click Erase, and now you'll have the option to set it to FAT and Master Boot Record. The partition scheme by default is GUID, which is why it seemed to not be working.

Once I formatted my USB drive this way, my nav system was able to write the file to the drive, and the update went smoothly from thereon out :)

OP
OP

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hi!

I figured it out. You need to set the partition scheme to 'Master Boot Record' when formatting the USB drive on Mac. In Disk Utility, click the top left View icon, select 'Show All Devices.' Right-click the container disk (parent drive) of the USB drive, click Erase, and now you'll have the option to set it to FAT and Master Boot Record. The partition scheme by default is GUID, which is why it seemed to not be working.

Once I formatted my USB drive this way, my nav system was able to write the file to the drive, and the update went smoothly from thereon out :)
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it!

How long did it take? Really have to leave the engine running (versus just running in accessory mode - off the battery)?