Has anyone put a remote starter in there SI

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I checked with the shop that’s doing the install and they said that’s not the case with this. Push the lock button three times in your car starts then you get in and push the start button twice to the start mode and that will let you go on your way without having the car shut off. I made sure to ask them on the questiona before I made my decision.
Definitely let us know how it goes and if that truly is the case. I've heard the same thing about the car shutting off once your open or unlock the door with it running. Unless they came out with a newer firmware for the system, I'm not thinking this has changed. But definitely keep us posted!
Sponsored

OP
OP
BIGBLUESI

BIGBLUESI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Definitely let us know how it goes and if that truly is the case. I've heard the same thing about the car shutting off once your open or unlock the door with it running. Unless they came out with a newer firmware for the system, I'm not thinking this has changed. But definitely keep us posted!
Sounds good,will Post Monday afternoon and I will try to find out which brand it is today,and if not by Monday.

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I looked up DEI's (viper clifford python) and Idatalink's solutions and DEI lists "Takeover: NO" while idatalink lists this "4 No takeover available. Vehicle will shut down on unlock. PTS Vehicles: The door handle request switches will remain operational during the remote start sequence."

This is for the latest firmware available.

OP
OP
BIGBLUESI

BIGBLUESI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I looked up DEI's (viper clifford python) and Idatalink's solutions and DEI lists "Takeover: NO" while idatalink lists this "4 No takeover available. Vehicle will shut down on unlock. PTS Vehicles: The door handle request switches will remain operational during the remote start sequence."

This is for the latest firmware available.
I just got off the phone with the installer and they did confirm that this is true.That's no big deal since the car will be warmed up and all you have to do is start the car when you get in but your car will have warmed up by then,that's my reason for getting one. The brand they are installing in my car is the Fortin remote starter.

https://fortin.ca/en/vehicles/honda/civic/2018-push-to-start/

Last edited:

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I just got off the phone with the installer and they did confirm that this is true.That's no big deal since the car will be warmed up and all you have to do is start the car when you get in but your car will have warmed up by then,that's my reason for getting one. The brand they are installing in my car is the Fortin remote starter.

https://fortin.ca/en/vehicles/honda/civic/2018-push-to-start/
I was just on their website as you posted this. So I dug through their installation materials and noticed they list "Smart Key Takeover" but then in their troubleshooting section where installers post issues they have, they say Smart Takeover is not supported. So, I'm a little weary of that one. Though, I will say that I'm fairly confident that vehicle takeover is not supported as most companies mirror features as they are limited by the vehicle and not by their systems.

Enjoy the system though. Should be nice and toasty this winter!

OP
OP
BIGBLUESI

BIGBLUESI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I was just on their website as you posted this. So I dug through their installation materials and noticed they list "Smart Key Takeover" but then in their troubleshooting section where installers post issues they have, they say Smart Takeover is not supported. So, I'm a little weary of that one. Though, I will say that I'm fairly confident that vehicle takeover is not supported as most companies mirror features as they are limited by the vehicle and not by their systems.

Enjoy the system though. Should be nice and toasty this winter!
When I went up yesterday I asked every question possible and they said it will not interfere with any of the other features in the car. When I did talk to them on Phone this morning they said that the vehicle will shut off when you get in the car after using the remote starter. As I mentioned before that my main objective . Getting into a warm car is very nice and having the engine warmed up is even better and safer for the car :headbang:

Last edited:

dblotii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si
Realize that extended-idling is the worst way to warm-up an engine

er1c_b

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I should mention that last time I checked the firmware for most major remote start companies the take over procedure requires the vehicle to shut off when you get in. Essentially after remote starting and heading out to the vehicle the car will shut off when you open the door to get in. You have to then restart the vehicle to drive away.
If your civic has push to start then yes, the car will turn off when you open the door. That was the case with my old 17 EX-T with a Viper remote start.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So the remote start isn't remote start?? I couldn't just start it in my house with the remote ?

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
I would be interested how the installers disable the interlock that requires the clutch to be pressed almost to the firewall to allow the push-button start to work.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I would be interested how the installers disable the interlock that requires the clutch to be pressed almost to the firewall to allow the push-button start to work.
I don't know how it's done but I've seen manual transmission cars with remote starts for years so it's definitely possible.

OP
OP
BIGBLUESI

BIGBLUESI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I had a Fortin Evo One remote starter put in 2 weeks ago and it works great. You have to leave the car in neutral with the ebrake on,let your foot off the brake get out and close the door and it shuts off. Push the lock button on the factory key fob 3 times and it starts right up.

manualSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Seems like adding remote start adds more attack vectors for thieves. :hmm:

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
I don't know how it's done but I've seen manual transmission cars with remote starts for years so it's definitely possible.
I don't know when a clutch interlock was added as a generic "safety feature". I drove an '82 VW Scirocco until the '18 Si and could have added a remote starter since it didn't have the interlock. As long as I left it in neutral, remote starting would work.

My list of most disliked "features" of the Si are the starting interlock, rev hang and clutch delay valve. Its in my muscle memory to always step on the clutch when starting, I don't need a "safety feature" to remind me.

jenham

First Name
Jenham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I’ve got a compustar 901 installed in my 18 si. As others have stated you have to set it in “reservation mode” by setting the emergency brake and getting out of the car while it’s running. Advantage of an aftermarket remote is the starting distance is about 1 mile vs the limited distance of the factory fob. No regrets with Canadian winters
Sponsored