1.5T Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake?

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I hate to be the Debbie Downer here, guys, but this is an awful lot of hair splitting.
Ha yeah I eventually felt that way messing with the 18 like this....then again I felt that way about everything I did to it after a while....
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nitori

Nitori

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2016 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I hate to be the Debbie Downer here, guys, but this is an awful lot of hair splitting.
Considering names like AEM, K&N, Mishimoto, and Injen sank probably a few CTR sticker prices' worth of $$$ into R&D and still couldn't top the stock CTR airbox, I don't think the idea that the 1.5's stock airbox could be made into a top contender is all that outrageous...

But to an extent yeah, it may not be the most cost or time effective solution. I am willing to bet someone could 3D print a kickass scoop that follows the basic design @Hondanickx laid out and drop IATs pretty resoundingly on top of flowing pretty well. After all, the concept is proven out on a car with the exact same frontal profile and everything.
There'd have to be a few iterations for clearance and then tooling up for rotomolding, time and a lot of $$$ later... at the end of the day it might end up more expensive than something like the PRL Cobra & give you no appreciable benefit.

I still think discussing the idea isn't totally out there.:)

For what it's worth, after looking at all of this I ordered a PRL Cobra for my car.

BTW, if any of you decide to play with your stock airbox know that the little tiny clips that hold in the "squishy" horn of the airbox are impossibly thin and will snap off easily. I didn't even rip at it, I was trying to gently separate all four corners.:doh:
Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? IMG_3045.JPG

Reactions: Myx

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It might be a"lot of hair splitting" but it also might be worth it in the end.
There's only 1 way to find out...
Sprint filter is coming out with their 1.5t and fk8 panel filter this january.
I know what i'm going to be testing soon.

OP
OP
Nitori

Nitori

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2016 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
It might be a"lot of hair splitting" but it also might be worth it in the end.
There's only 1 way to find out...
Sprint filter is coming out with their 1.5t and fk8 panel filter this january.
I know what i'm going to be testing soon.
Have they released any pictures of the 1.5t version? I've seen plenty of the FK8 edition but scarce on the 1.5... to the point where I didn't even know they were making one.

Maybe they've already done what we're splitting and speculating about!

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've done a lot of my own testing with various versions of homemade intakes (Myxal SRI-CAI) and have documented my results as I tested the intakes at the track. That's with comparing them with the stock intake as well as PRL's SRI, CAI, both Race and Non-Race versions. Intakes make a difference. Forcing cool air into an enclosed box made a difference. And this was with a box that I couldn't get to stay completely sealed and air tight.

This is the beauty of this stuff. You/We don't have to wait for anybody to make anything for us. Did the same thing on my Honda Fit, Mazda 3, Ford Crown Vic, BMW 740i, Subaru SVX, Subaru XT6, Toyota Rav4 and Subaru Outback Sport, etc, etc and posted my results on the forums, both dyno and the track.. It's great stuff and a lot of cool things to learn from it.

Naturally, I'm interested in this. More than just interested. Already eyeballing how the Type R pieces will fit and with what kind of enclosure to keep it air tight for testing. I'm not one for guessing and speculating either. I like doing the mod, testing it and posting up the results. Most of the time it's positive. Then let the 'experts' explain why it works the way it does. ;)

This enclosed Sprint setup looks promising.

Last edited:

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have they released any pictures of the 1.5t version? I've seen plenty of the FK8 edition but scarce on the 1.5... to the point where I didn't even know they were making one.

Maybe they've already done what we're splitting and speculating about!
No i Mean they are coming out with stock replacement panel filters for the fk8 and 1.5t. Available in their high flow polyester filter media also used in the TCR civic's, superbikes,etc...

Btw i gotA answer from 7mod about the fk8 airbox mod.

They gained 0,1bar of pressure with a tune by removing the lip.From 1.9 bar to 2 bar on a tuned fk8.
The airbox was still a restriction.

Last edited:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Btw i gotA answer from 7mod about the fk8 airbox mod.

They gained 0,1bar of pressure with a tune by removing the lip.From 1.9 bar to 2 bar on a tuned fk8.
The airbox was still a restriction.
Whoa what!?!?
In my ignorance, I had to look up what 0.1bar is in psi. Result: 0.1 bar = 1.4503773773 psi

They gained 1.45psi of boost. Am I correct in saying this?

Last edited:

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whoa what!?!?
I'm my ignorance, I had to look up what 0.1bar is in psi. Result: 0.1 bar = 1.4503773773 psi

They gained 1.45psi of boost. Am I correct in saying this?
Yes they basicly tuned the car then removed the lip on the airbox and tuned it again.And the boost went from 1.9bar to 2.0 bar. 1.45 psi indeed

Reactions: Myx

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So i have been doing some research into maybe making a air guide to the stock airbox.
There is very little space from the front grill up to the airbox.It needs a perfectly made airguide.Meanwhile i was thinking if we removed the stock air guide on the Hood and tried to fit the airguide of the 2.0L N/A Civic .Maybe the airbox gets more cool air this way.Or just use some d shaped rubber seal that sticks onto the Hood.
Im going to try this with some sound insulator foam i still had laying around.
Still don't get why Honda guides the air away from the airbox...Maybe the engine or electronic components need cooling?

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? IMG_20200205_170751290~2

Last edited:

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tried this today but didn't really noticed any changes.Will continue with designing a intake scoop .A few test pieces ...

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? IMG_20200206_224445379

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? IMG_20200206_224404799

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crystal Black FI FC1 Si ✓
It's aerodynamics. At higher speeds air is more streamlined. All the air coming through the vents there will hit that deflector then combine in to a very linear jet airstream at the end and shoot like a laser directly into the intake. What you guys are thinking is more like how water would probably behave.

It does look like it could be a bit shorter, but if it is.. then wouldn't triming the deflector solve the proposed problem?

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's not only that it's also the fact that there isn't a properly designed air duct that guides the air from the front grill to the airbox.The air needs to go true the AC radiator and up and over brackets ,flow against the steel subframe ,go back up true the vents and then flow in the direction of the airbox where still hott engine bay air gets sucked in.
The Type-r air duct won't fit ,it has a sort of Dent in it and the subframe also has that .I think it's done to improve flow over the subframe and into the airbox.The Type-r air duct makes a 180degree turn into the airbox.
The key here is cold air and ram air at least for me it is...;)

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very interesting discussion. I also noticed that in the V, the hood has rubber parts that dont allow air to go under the hood, blocking the intake completely. That makes perfect sense as too much air in high speeds would force the hood up.

The thing is that in order for air to reach the intake, they have these grills on the plastic cover. The grills are shaped in a way that I suppose stop water spray/water from reaching the intake. BUT, it also limits the air flow. The pictures below are with all setups I ve tested. Given that I have to also consider which intake handles fuel trims better along with actual IATs, I came to the conclusion that my best option is the PRL SRI with extra air flowing to it.

First option is to cut those plastic grills in order to allow more air through. That however has the danger of also allowing water on the filter.
I also considered running a hose from the fog light to the filter but there isnt enough space.
Then I recalled the Type-R FN2 that I owned before the V. In that one, Honda had a ram air hose going into the fender! From there it went down to the resonator and then up to the airbox. So now I am thinking to replicate that using a small hose that will go from the fender to the airfilter. There is enough room for that I believe.

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? 20200215_101133

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? 20200215_100235

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? 20190508_111356

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? 20190508_123055

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That FN2 air intake is very interesting ,didn't knew that.Well i think in the Crv its even more difficult to create a airduct because the oem airbox entrance lays more to the right ,pushing it in front of the headlight almost.If you look at the Armaspeed Airbox for the crv you'll see they use the same entrance as stock and it blocks all surroundings .https://www.armaspeed.com/product/honda-crv-mk5-1-5t-carbon-cold-air-intake/
I wouldn't worry about water getting into the oem airbox .If you look at the path the air has to make true the oem airbox you'll see water has to make lots of turns ,and even going true the resonator which has holes on the bottom for water to get out of.A aftermarket filter would have more chance to get water in but it all depends on how the air moves to the air filter.Water droplets get carried in a high air stream ,when it slows down or the air changes path it drops down.
The FK8 intake has a lip that many cut away to improve airflow .That lips also is there to reduce water getting in afaik.
Here's a picture of how the air needs to move from the small opening in the front grill to the airbox.The AC radiator blocks most of the opening and air that moves true the AC radiator gets heated .
I didn't even took the plastic shroud with the vents into this picture which also directs air into another path.

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? air inlet path

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? 84359391_195820475130560_6046926379214176256_n

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? 85088738_853341388422622_8929814922003480576_n

Last edited:

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since I will not be using the stock airbox anymore, I will try to find a way to feed more cold air to the filter. The front of the car seems unlikely. I will try the FN2/fender solution!
Sponsored