1.5T Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake?

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I call bs.

All these systems be it 2.0t or 1.5t are torque targeting based. If it helped that much (it wouldn't) than the computer would see this and open the wastegate further to maintain the same torque target, thus negating the increased boost pressure. It would do this is seconds. The owner would barely be able to record the increase let alone see this happen.
Sponsored

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I believe this is why the aftermarket intakes make so little power difference on any of them, or even lose power compared to stock.

They cause the computer to react negatively in response to the airflow increase, reducing power to make sure the powertrain remains safe.

Not even mentioning the inaccuracies of measuring the airflow that are introduced with changing the stock intake strategies.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I asked 7Mod if this was true or not .The mod the german guy was talking about is this one
Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? 30688732_1636700116383434_2142094464770899968_n-

Maybe they saw a increase on the maf sensor or something and people telling other people make that a increase of turbo pressure.
I agree that the increase in turbo pressure doesn't make sence .Anyway the point being was that this mod works ,so it should also work on the 1.5.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I asked 7Mod if this was true or not .The mod the german guy was talking about is this one
30688732_1636700116383434_2142094464770899968_n-jpg.jpg

Maybe they saw a increase on the maf sensor or something and people telling other people make that a increase of turbo pressure.
I agree that the increase in turbo pressure doesn't make sence .Anyway the point being was that this mod works ,so it should also work on the 1.5.

Thanks for the clarification.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been looking over the type-r intake tract and it has a air duct from the front grill that guides the air over the front frame into the airbox.
How does the 1.5t even get air up in the vanes of the bulkhead cover ?
There's no air guides anywhere ...

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Maybe Honda figured that so many Si owners would install CAIs that it would be a waste of their money to design an air path to the factory airbox.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been looking over the type-r intake tract and it has a air duct from the front grill that guides the air over the front frame into the airbox.
How does the 1.5t even get air up in the vanes of the bulkhead cover ?
There's no air guides anywhere ...
It relies on the pressure differential between above the radiator cowl panel and below it. The type r setup is much better in execution but both designs rely on this.

One of the reasons I wanted to install the type r paneling and guides when I was doing all my modding and experimenting on my 18.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah i was looking into that too of maybe installing the type-r ducting .But the type R radiator is lower and gives room for the duct .If making such a duct on the 1.5t you need to block off a small portion of the radiator.
View attachment 191620
Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? eng_pl_Injen-FM1582I-intercooler-Honda-Civic-Type-R-2-0-Turbo-FK8-K20C1-5085_9
Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? Perrin_5__05361.1569597437

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? 236690966

A lot of high end airbox manufacturers for the fk8 use the "ram air " to feed the airbox.
And those work really well.

Eventuri
Sprint filter
PRL

Here's the Sprint filter carbon airbox for the fk8

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? fk8 air intake duct 04

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? fk8 air intake duct 05

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well all be dammed. Good stuff there. @Myx will like that info too.

I knew there had to be more to it to do that complete swap. I was going to just do the cooling plate to start. The lower ducting is like 110.00 bucks and I was not sure it would even have fit which you confirmed it wouldn't.

Good information.

Last edited:

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I new there had to be more to it to do that complete swap. I was going to just do the cooling plate to start. The lower ducting is like 110.00 bucks and I was not sure it would even have fit which you confirmed it wouldn't.

Good information.
I'm here to share and learn like most of us here ;)
I was actually looking for that piece 71204-TGH-A00 all over the parts diagrams .When i finally found it i noticed where it actually was mounted and saw that there was a larger opening at the type R .
I still think you can make a air duct there but the radiator takes up some space so there might not be enough space left.
I actually can't get rammed air from the front bumper fog light because of the honda sensing sensor sitting there.

Last edited:

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm here to share and learn like most of us here ;)
I was actually looking for that piece 71204-TGH-A00 all over the parts diagrams .When i finally found it i noticed where it actually was mounted and saw that there was a larger opening at the type R .
I still think you can make a air duct there but the radiator takes up some space so there might not be enough space left.
I actually can't get rammed air from the front bumper fog light because of the honda sensing sensor sitting there.
Yeah alot of what is in that other mentioned/linked thread was me intending to create a better inlet setup. Got a little hacky but it worked extremely well.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Good information.
Absolutely! That Sprint setup is very, VERY interesting. Really good diagrams posted above.

I had a really long reply referencing my 2015 Honda Fit intake experiments and testing a homemade dual setup like Sprints. In conclusion, the single setup with incoming air from the front grill had a higher volumetric efficiency than the dual setup with incoming air from the front grill and fog light (105-107% vs 102-103%).

I didn't find the reason for this but something made me think the pressure building up from the single intake was better than the dual after coming off the throttle (throttle plate closed) and back on again. The dual setup would have one of the inlets of air possibly pushing air towards the other if the pressure was less, instead of it crashing in back of the throttle plate.

Either way love Sprints setup. All the air is being trapped in the air filter housing and pre-turbo.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah i was looking into that too of maybe installing the type-r ducting .But the type R radiator is lower and gives room for the duct .If making such a duct on the 1.5t you need to block off a small portion of the radiator.
View attachment 191620
eng_pl_Injen-FM1582I-intercooler-Honda-Civic-Type-R-2-0-Turbo-FK8-K20C1-5085_9.jpg
Perrin_5__05361.1569597437.jpg
I think you are on to something. I uploaded a pic I took with my front bumper off. It looks like that space can be utilized, despite the size of the stock radiator. Very interesting!

I'm typing this from my phone at work. How much is the top Type R piece that guides the ram air to the airbox? I'd be very interested to make a homemade version of the Sprint intake to test at a track in late February/March.

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? 20190622_150213

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I switched out my grill last summer but didn't look at the space that was there.However i found a video of pro car studio installing a koyo radiator which shows how much room there is .
I think you could make a simple air duct made from thin sheet metal.It has to come down quit a bit over the radiator to be able to connect to the front opening in the bumper.
The only thing is you need to connect it to the stock airbox entrance ( the square plastic/Rubber piece) to make it a ram air .(If you're using the stock airbox)
Took some screen shots from the video to further explain.

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? air duct 01

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? air duct 02

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? air duct 03

[

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? air duct 04

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone noticed the hood's air guide doesn't line up with the OEM intake? air duct 04

Last edited:
Reactions: Myx

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
I hate to be the Debbie Downer here, guys, but this is an awful lot of hair splitting.
Sponsored