Has anyone had any luck installing the HFP style sideskirts by Ikon?

Dreakon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXT Coupe
Country flag
Basically what the title says. I ordered some HFP style side skirts by Ikon and had them painted Berlina Black to add some contrast to my coupe. I think they look great, but they don't install like the OEM ones do. They don't have any way to use the clips that the stock ones have to keep them attached to the side of the car, so while the bottoms and ends are all ok, they don't sit flush against the car and there is a significant gap. The gap also makes them pop and creak whenever the doors open which can't be good for them.

Has anyone installed these? And if so, how did you get them to work?

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone had any luck installing the HFP style sideskirts by Ikon? 20200715_141848

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone had any luck installing the HFP style sideskirts by Ikon? 20200715_195128

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They're not super flat and flush on that top edge anyway. I was thinking of wrapping rubber corner gaurd around the top to fill in the gap and be soft on the paint. I just received them so I'll test fit and install first before I sand and wrap them. A little bit disappointed at first sight, we'll see.

OP
OP
Dreakon

Dreakon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They're not super flat and flush on that top edge anyway. I was thinking of wrapping rubber corner gaurd around the top to fill in the gap and be soft on the paint. I just received them so I'll test fit and install first before I sand and wrap them. A little bit disappointed at first sight, we'll see.
Good luck, let me know how it turns out. I'm thinking I'm going to take a heat gun to them to try and gently bend them towards the car and use some 3M tape to secure them to the car.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good luck, let me know how it turns out. I'm thinking I'm going to take a heat gun to them to try and gently bend them towards the car and use some 3M tape to secure them to the car.
What is the clearance between the top and the door? I have sedan also so they're different.

OP
OP
Dreakon

Dreakon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What is the clearance between the top and the door? I have sedan also so they're different.
It clears the door with the door ok, but one side does creek and pop a bit, I may have to readjust it some.

I did manage to get them to work, but it did take some 3M VHB double-sided tape. I basically ran it along the very top edge of the side skirts. You have to be patient because you obviously don't want any double-sided tape sticking out the top of them, but as long as you are careful, it works.

Overall I'd give the side skirts a 3 out of 5. They look pretty good, but the fitment isn't perfect, and not coming up with a way to attach with the stock clips is a pretty big disappointment. If I need to take them off, it's going to be considerably harder than the stock ones, or the OEM HFP ones would be.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the material on the top is like .030 thin and not rolled. like about 1/3 as thick as cardboard. how in the world did you get tape to stick to it?

OP
OP
Dreakon

Dreakon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
the material on the top is like .030 thin and not rolled. like about 1/3 as thick as cardboard. how in the world did you get tape to stick to it?
I used quarter inch thick tape. There isn't much for it to grab to, but its so strong it actually worked.

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone had any luck installing the HFP style sideskirts by Ikon? 20200728_144954

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ordered the ikons for sedan and there's literally nothing to hold on to. It's like .020 thick or like 10 sheets of paper, or like 2 fingernails thick.
Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone had any luck installing the HFP style sideskirts by Ikon? IMG_20200728_225344

OP
OP
Dreakon

Dreakon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I ordered the ikons for sedan and there's literally nothing to hold on to. It's like .020 thick or like 10 sheets of paper, or like 2 fingernails thick.
IMG_20200728_225344.jpg
The quarter inch tape was my last ditch effort. The whole roll was $8 on Amazon, so it might be worth a shot. Make sure its the VHB stuff by 3M. I also did mine in 2 sections. As soon as you pull the plastic off, push hard and hold. After a couple of minutes, it wasn't going anywhere. Once that tape starts to grab, it grabs hard, so make sure its all lined up.

OP
OP
Dreakon

Dreakon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: After a few weeks, the tape has started to fail. The fitment of these things is just too off to work properly. Every time I open the doors, they push and pop loudly against the side skirts and pull on the tape. If you have some body work experience and don't have a problem with altering the sideskirts or coming up with a mounting solution that could potentially permanently damage your car, you might be ok with these. But the time and effort involved hardly seems worth it. For everyone else, I'd strongly recommend just spending the extra couple hundred on the actual HFP sideskirts from Honda.

Since I got them painted by Ikon, they cost me $300. They did a pretty bad job painting them, couldn't be bothered to drill out half the mounting holes, and didn't think of a decent way to mount them. I couldn't in good conscience recommend these to anyone.

OP
OP
Dreakon

Dreakon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was about to pull the trigger on these until I discovered this thread. Have any of your opinions changed?
No. Unless you're willing to drive self-tapping screws into the side of your car or have some way to 3D print or machine some custom method of attaching them to the stock mounting system, they aren't worth the money.

I just ended up getting some side skirts from Downforce Solutions. Completely different style, but they installed very easily and look great.

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
No. Unless you're willing to drive self-tapping screws into the side of your car or have some way to 3D print or machine some custom method of attaching them to the stock mounting system, they aren't worth the money.

I just ended up getting some side skirts from Downforce Solutions. Completely different style, but they installed very easily and look great.
Thanks! Mind sharing the link to the ones you purchased?

OP
OP
Dreakon

Dreakon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag