Has anyone had an issues purchasing a CTR from Carmax or Carvana?

JerseyJerk

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone had an issues purchasing a CTR from Carmax or Carvana? I'm searching there and the prices/trade-ins are more reasonable than my state (NJ). Almost every dealer is doing bait-and-switch, posting MSRP on their website and then adding 10k+ in the dealership. I'm just wondering if anyone has had maintenance issues, there are surprisingly several low mileage CTRs available.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I'd feel fine ordering from them, they are trying to be in front of dealers so they do price a bit better and try not to make as much on the sale. They are high volume so aren't as greedy. I'd give it a shot else try and expand search and travel / drive home. Up north leading into winter you might get lucky.

wmo168

First Name
Mr M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Metro
Country flag
Well you can try out the car, if you found issues, return it. No questions ask.. nothing to lose if you fine with the price.

sultanmania

First Name
Sultan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2012
Country flag
Carvana has a 7 day return policy. and there prices are usually lower becauss they dont have the overhead cost dealerships have.

SGP_TypeR

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Has anyone had an issues purchasing a CTR from Carmax or Carvana? I'm searching there and the prices/trade-ins are more reasonable than my state (NJ). Almost every dealer is doing bait-and-switch, posting MSRP on their website and then adding 10k+ in the dealership. I'm just wondering if anyone has had maintenance issues, there are surprisingly several low mileage CTRs available.
I don't know if you bought your car yet but this is what happened to me. I bought my new 21 CTR in September. I had the same experience with dealers having 10k mark ups. One of the dealers told me they had a 10k markup, and I told them good luck with their sale but wasn't interested.

The next day they called to see if I had any questions. I explained that I could source one cheaper that was closer to me (which was true, a dealer near me had a 5k markup but willing to negotiate). The dealer with the 10k markup ended up beating any price I could get locally on the price of the CTR and on my trade (almost zero markup).

I feel some dealers are actually willing to negotiate off of the 10k markup quite a bit. I believe they are sticking to the adage of "start high" .

With that being said, I did have to travel about 200 miles away but it was worth it to me. Just a few hour drive, no obscene markup, and a color I preferred (SGP).

If I intend to buy the new 11th gen Type R, I'll expect the run around and then use the fact I already have a CTR as leverage to come to a reasonable agreement. I don't mind paying a slight markup if I means I don't have to travel too far, or ship the car. No reason to pay msrp but spend 1500ish to ship the car, or the cost of flight/hotel/gas, etc, not to mention, time spent.

blackdiamond

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EX Hatchie
Country flag
Recently went to get my oil change at the dealer, they had boosted blue one in the show room. Showed the wife and she said that 39 wasn't so bad why didn't we get this one instead. Salesman crept in with a "we can sell it to you today", I immediately replied "what's the markup" he said 10. Looked at the wife and told her that's why we didn't get one. He walked away, wife said he was rude for not bargaining with us...

Carvana didn't offer me much for my car 23... KBB gives a insane number 27? who do you trust

OP
OP
JerseyJerk

JerseyJerk

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I haven't purchased anything yet. Been keeping an eye on Carvana and cars have been moving fast. I have an appointment Monday with a local dealer, it's going to hinge on them working with me. They have a 2019 with incredibly low miles marked up 5k. Carvana offered me 25.5k for my EX, and if the dealer matches I'll make the purchase.

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #45600
Country flag
So I haven't purchased anything yet. Been keeping an eye on Carvana and cars have been moving fast. I have an appointment Monday with a local dealer, it's going to hinge on them working with me. They have a 2019 with incredibly low miles marked up 5k. Carvana offered me 25.5k for my EX, and if the dealer matches I'll make the purchase.
Good luck! Hope it goes well!

OP
OP
JerseyJerk

JerseyJerk

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good luck! Hope it goes well!
Follow up: deal fell through. The Type R was amazing - I got to test drive it. There was an aftermarket exhaust on it and the noise was basically unbearable. I commute 100 miles a day, so had to pass on that particular car.

typearghhhh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Follow up: deal fell through. The Type R was amazing - I got to test drive it. There was an aftermarket exhaust on it and the noise was basically unbearable. I commute 100 miles a day, so had to pass on that particular car.
what exhaust was it?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
thats unfortunate.
hope you can find one for a good price.
its a great car.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Exhaust is easy to replace. Post here and someone will,pay you to swap with their stock exhaust.

OP
OP
JerseyJerk

JerseyJerk

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Exhaust is easy to replace. Post here and someone will,pay you to swap with their stock exhaust.
True, but I'm of the mindset that if I'm dropping $40k on a car I want to minimize the extra spending, I was already budgeting 5k for new wheels/tires. It's all good! I'll eventually get one.
Sponsored