First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd like to inquire if anyone has ever successfully re-mounted the radar unit to a different location in the front of the car? Or if that's not possible, has anyone figured out how to disable the radar so that it doesn't have to be shut off every time the car is started? I have some cool inserts I'd like to mount in that spot at the front, but they block the radar and cause all kinds of nasty error messages to flash.
Sponsored

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
I would assume it's important it's located where it is, since it's on the opposite side for cars that have the steering wheel on the other side too.

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Just guessing, if you disconnect the radar from the harness and reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and maybe reset the head unit to factory defaults the car may think it’s an option that wasn’t installed and not give all the errors. Might also have to disconnect the camera as well.

R-MODE17922

First Name
Y
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 FK8
Country flag
I think that’s a lot of trouble to get rid of something you paid for. I would try to work with a company that would maybe incorporate a cut out for the radar. Changing location is not possible there’s very strict measurements when initializing these systems. Moving it a few mm would have it pointing at another location specially at a distance. If not turned off can be dangerous if it makes the car think it’s getting into an accident when it’s not.

Habanero

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX. 2012 G25
Country flag
When people work on telsas they have to be conscious of all the cameras and sensors imbedded in the glass and trim and if they get out of place even a little bit it messes them up.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Those are precision calibrated for their location on the car, not going to move them without causing a whole lot of problems. Disconnecting it will cause problems as well. These really can't be messed with at all without lighting up your whole dash with error codes.

Welcome to 2020 tuning :dunno:

OP
OP

Netquest6

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you to everyone who replied. That's kinda what I figured was going to be the case...I had actually installed them, and they look really cool...but almost immediately afterwards, my car went nuts with warnings and alarms going off. I promptly ripped them back off of my car, and everything went back to normal. I had thought about shutting the radar off and using old-school cruise control every time I got in the car, but decided that was too much of a pain and not worth the look I was trying to achieve. Plus, those are indeed features of the car that I paid for.

I may look into the idea of a cut-out for that piece. I've seen other people do that. Question is, how in the heck would I cut it? Maybe find someone with a jig saw?

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Thank you to everyone who replied. That's kinda what I figured was going to be the case...I had actually installed them, and they look really cool...but almost immediately afterwards, my car went nuts with warnings and alarms going off. I promptly ripped them back off of my car, and everything went back to normal. I had thought about shutting the radar off and using old-school cruise control every time I got in the car, but decided that was too much of a pain and not worth the look I was trying to achieve. Plus, those are indeed features of the car that I paid for.

I may look into the idea of a cut-out for that piece. I've seen other people do that. Question is, how in the heck would I cut it? Maybe find someone with a jig saw?
How were you still able to use Cruise Control with the radar disabled? My lights are going off and I can't use cruise control and the dealer has first told me I need a new $1000+ camera to a "since you have an aftermarket bumper we can't calibrate it". Even though my bumper has been on for some time and it was working fine before.

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
You can't, even though there is a mode to use "classic" cruise control where you just set it to a set speed and it doesn't use the radar or camera, it also gets disabled if there is a problem with either sensor. It could be a bug (something they overlooked) or more likely on purpose to coerce you to fix the sensor issue.

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
You can't, even though there is a mode to use "classic" cruise control where you just set it to a set speed and it doesn't use the radar or camera, it also gets disabled if there is a problem with either sensor. It could be a bug (something they overlooked) or more likely on purpose to coerce you to fix the sensor issue.
That is very very unfortunate.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
100% this. With ACC inoperable, regular cruise will not work. Definitely think Honda intentionally designed for this to happen.

Simple logic gates - if <value>, then <value>.
I don't believe Honda would strip our right to cruise without ACC, but it would cost more to rewrite the code... plus, they do force us into fixing ACC if we want cruise.
Sponsored