Has anyone bought this Type R spoiler for the Hatchback?

echoparkpanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi guys, I stumbled upon this item on eBay and its the Type R spoiler for the Hatchback! However, I am a bit skeptical about the build quality and how it will hold up against fast moving wind as it is made of ABS plastic.

Has anyone installed this or know someone who has and would they recommend the product?

Link to product: http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-16-Up-H...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone bought this Type R spoiler for the Hatchback? Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.33.39 AM

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone bought this Type R spoiler for the Hatchback? Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.33.47 AM

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone bought this Type R spoiler for the Hatchback? Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.33.15 AM

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone bought this Type R spoiler for the Hatchback? Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.33.23 AM

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone bought this Type R spoiler for the Hatchback? Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.33.29 AM

RallyeeRedAZ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi guys, I stumbled upon this item on eBay and its the Type R spoiler for the Hatchback! However, I am a bit skeptical about the build quality and how it will hold up against fast moving wind as it is made of ABS plastic.

Has anyone installed this or know someone who has and would they recommend the product?
I was looking into it and i was excited for it but the more i looked at it i started to not like it, the more i inspect it the more i realize its style is not like the type r at all its shrunk down and the angles are way different. I'm holding off till someone else hopefully comes out with a better looking one.

Stegodon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase

Link to product: http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-16-Up-Honda-Civic-Hatchback-Type-R-Style-ABS-Plastic-Rear-Trunk-Wing-Spoiler/322658419146?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.33.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.33.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.33.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.33.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.33.29 AM.png
I picked one of these up.

Super fast shipping.
Package quality was top notch.
Parts look exactly as pictures.
Fits car perfectly.
No instructions included but is very simple to use.
Requires you to drill 4 holes in your car.
Backside of those holes is easily accessible by popping off plastic liners from the inside.
Surface finish of the parts was very very good.
Sanded ultra smooth with 3000 grit to rid of any minor imperfections.
Sprayed it gloss black and installed.

It is lightweight ABS plastic but it did not feel "cheap" or flimsy . I have no doubts that it will hold up very well at high speeds and over time.

As long as you drill the holes in your car at the correct size you won't see any issues.

10/10 satisfied with purchase and would recommend to anyone looking to "imitate" the type r look without going full blown exact replica.

Stegodon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Happen to have pics of these on the car? Notice any wind resistance with this spoiler on and the roof spoiler?

I'll post some tomorrow . Little to dark here right now.

I haven't noticed any feels the same to me.

That being said I'm not flying 100mph+ or drifting down a mountain.

But freeway speeds seem normal .

I'll post multiple pics tomorrow

OP
OP
echoparkpanda

echoparkpanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll post some tomorrow . Little to dark here right now.

I haven't noticed any feels the same to me.

That being said I'm not flying 100mph+ or drifting down a mountain.

But freeway speeds seem normal .

I'll post multiple pics tomorrow

Much appreciate those pictures man! Do the legs of the spoiler have some kind of water seal? Also, would you happen to remember what drill sized you used?

Stegodon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Much appreciate those pictures man! Do the legs of the spoiler have some kind of water seal? Also, would you happen to remember what drill sized you used?
I don't remember the drill size sorry. You can check by eye. Just hold the bolt up to the drill bit and make the drill bit slightly bigger.

It comes with a adhesive backed piece of foam that is cut slightly smaller then the spoiler leg base. So after tightened it will prevent water from coming.

Just washed my car for the pics . Not one drop made it in.

Again I added gloss black paint. This is just temporary for me until I can afford to paint match. Then I'll paint the legs white and carbon wrap the center portion like the type r.

I would assume if I added a coat of clear coat it would match the stock abs black of the other spoiler. But again this is just temporary for me.

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone bought this Type R spoiler for the Hatchback? IMG_2508.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone bought this Type R spoiler for the Hatchback? IMG_2509.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone bought this Type R spoiler for the Hatchback? IMG_2510.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone bought this Type R spoiler for the Hatchback? IMG_2513.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone bought this Type R spoiler for the Hatchback? IMG_2515.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone bought this Type R spoiler for the Hatchback? IMG_2516.JPG

OP
OP
echoparkpanda

echoparkpanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't remember the drill size sorry. You can check by eye. Just hold the bolt up to the drill bit and make the drill bit slightly bigger.

It comes with a adhesive backed piece of foam that is cut slightly smaller then the spoiler leg base. So after tightened it will prevent water from coming.

Again I added gloss black paint. This is just temporary for me until I can afford to paint match. Then I'll paint the legs white and carbon wrap the center portion like the type r.

I would assume if I added a coat of clear coat it would match the stock abs black of the other spoiler. But again this is just temporary for me.

Thanks so much for the pictures, I might actually pick this up! I remember hearing a complaint with the actual Type R spoiler was that when you closed the hatch the spoiler shook quite a bit. How does this fair?

Did you sand down the surface before you spray painted the spoiler?

On the sale post, it says that it comes with "Alignment Stripe is Included for Drilling Template" did yours come with it and did you use the template or eyeball it?

OP
OP
echoparkpanda

echoparkpanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

IMG_2508.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG

Thanks so much for the pictures, I might actually pick this up! I remember hearing a complaint with the actual Type R spoiler was that when you closed the hatch the spoiler shook quite a bit. How does this fair?

On the sale post, it says that it comes with "Alignment Stripe is Included for Drilling Template" did yours come with it and did you use the template or eyeball it?

Stegodon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase

It does shake when your close the hatch yes. Not like violently but it does shake. During driving it sits solid tho.

Yes mine came with alignment strips. I'm not gonna lie I had no idea how to use them.

I took a piece of paper outlined the footprint of the leg. Cut out the shape. Placed it on the leg and punctured holes in the bolt locations.

I then assembled the wing and had my wife hold it on while I lined everything up perfectly . Traced the leg bases with a pencil. Placed my template on the car and dotted the holes. Then drilled them out. And it all lined up perfect .

( I work with composites on aircraft for my job so I'm fairly handy)

From the inside, one hole will have a access hole so it can be easily screwed in.

The other does not. You will have to drill a hole in the support frame under the interior plastics to have access to install the second bolt .

The plastic parts are very very smooth. So I just did a quick run of 3000 grit to prep the surface to adhere to the paint before spraying

Stegodon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Oh one other note to add.

2 of the threaded holes on the spoiler had injected plastic stuck into them and had to be cleared out before install. Using a smaller drill bit and a blade it popped out right out.

If you don't do this your bolts won't bottom out and your spoiler will be all loose .

OP
OP
echoparkpanda

echoparkpanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh one other note to add.

2 of the threaded holes on the spoiler had injected plastic stuck into them and had to be cleared out before install. Using a smaller drill bit and a blade it popped out right out.

If you don't do this your bolts won't bottom out and your spoiler will be all loose .
Much appreciate all the tips Stegodon! I was going to paint the legs of the spoiler with some dupli color spray (primer, color, and clear coat) and get as close as I can to matching the paint on my lunar silver hatchback. Definitely a good side note that injected plastic can get stuck inside the leg threads.

yungsevnth

First Name
Mateus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rebrand.ly
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

Link to product: http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-16-Up-Honda-Civic-Hatchback-Type-R-Style-ABS-Plastic-Rear-Trunk-Wing-Spoiler/322658419146?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.33.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.33.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.33.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.33.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.33.29 AM.png
I purchased and installed this on my 2016 Civic EX-T Coupe and it shakes at high speeds (I typically drive anywhere from 70-100mph on the highway, when possible). Took it through a couple of soft cloth car washes and has held up there fine as well. My only concern now is reducing the spoiler flex at high speeds. I'm looking into some aluminum "bars" I can drill on the bottom of the wing to add more support.

RallyeeRedAZ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I purchased and installed this on my 2016 Civic EX-T Coupe and it shakes at high speeds (I typically drive anywhere from 70-100mph on the highway, when possible). Took it through a couple of soft cloth car washes and has held up there fine as well. My only concern now is reducing the spoiler flex at high speeds. I'm looking into some aluminum "bars" I can drill on the bottom of the wing to add more support.
Did you install the hatch wing on your coupe?

skstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you install the hatch wing on your coupe?
i believe he installed the one designed for the coupe...theres the sedan, coupe and hatchback versions of this style wing now.

i have the one for the coupe installed on mine and it shakes when you close the trunk and does shake a bit at high speeds but it still holds up fine

the issue is cause the middle portion of the wing is hollow which allows it to flex. if they reinforced the insides would probably reduce the shaking
Sponsored

Last edited: