Has any one had a moisture on their headlights or taillights in their CTRs? If ever is this normal?

DinaNuctornal

First Name
Dina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport hatchback MT
My CTR had some moisture in the tailights, it’s been raining here in SF lately so I just want to know if this is normal? The car is just a month old.
Sponsored

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The stock O-rings on the base of the bulbs behind there are thinner than expected and leak water. I’ve confirmed this when changing to @TypeRLEDs a couple times now to have the brightest possible backup, signal, and brake lights.

When I removed the bulb base from the housing, water collected under the base at the O-rings. Honda used a bad supplier who made the O-rings and are thinner than expected so didn’t seal properly.

Your dealer will replace the housing under warranty.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Honda used a bad supplier who made the O-rings and are thinner than expected so didn’t seal properly.

I wonder if the new, replacement lights will have thicker o-rings? If not, that may be something we could purchase and replace on our own if it comes down to it.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder if the new, replacement lights will have thicker o-rings? If not, that may be something we could purchase and replace on our own if it comes down to it.
That I can’t tell you and possible. I’ve not had any problems but noticed how the problem can occur and exactly the O-rings. It is an idea to replace those O-rings but haven’t thought of it nor even attempt to find better ones.

If you do replace them, please share which ones work.

OP
OP

DinaNuctornal

First Name
Dina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport hatchback MT
The stock O-rings on the base of the bulbs behind there are thinner than expected and leak water. I’ve confirmed this when changing to @TypeRLEDs a couple times now to have the brightest possible backup, signal, and brake lights.

When I removed the bulb base from the housing, water collected under the base at the O-rings. Honda used a bad supplier who made the O-rings and are thinner than expected so didn’t seal properly.

I will try to talk to the dealership about this and see if they can fix this. Because it is seriously annoying to see. Thanks for all the info guys, I will update as soon as I have information from the dealership.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
This topic has been discussed several times. Honda considers condensation completely normal. You still might talk with the dealer if you have a good relationship with them.

If water fills up in the taillight, that's another story

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Normal, I see like a slight moister "fog" in mine like on a bather room mirror from time to time. I dont think its o rings just temp changes. Now if straight up water is collecting in the light, yeah you got a leak or o ring issue. But I seriously doubt they will replace the whole light over an o ring like one person mentioned. Get you a new o ring, yeah maybe. Air has moisture in it, there is air in your light. That's nature. Just like some times depending on temp swings you can get moisture on inside of windshield. It's why there is a defog. Not because the doors have bad seals.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
no it's not normal....for honda or ANY cars. once condensation starts it takes a very long time to go away because it's supposed to be a sealed compartment, thus o-rings for a reason.

it's a defect. yes, dealers/honda will replace under warranty. nearly all who have had it have gotten them replaced. there's a reason for seals to start with.

no other cars of mine have it...unless honda wants to be low end of totem pole for quality which i know it doesn't. bet you the dealer says it's normal. get me a honda company exec or engineer (btw i've talked to local engineers at honda) who says that and will stand down LOL.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
no it's not normal....for honda or ANY cars. once condensation starts it takes a very long time to go away because it's supposed to be a sealed compartment, thus o-rings for a reason.

it's a defect. yes, dealers/honda will replace under warranty. nearly all who have had it have gotten them replaced. there's a reason for seals to start with.

no other cars of mine have it...unless honda wants to be low end of totem pole for quality which i know it doesn't. bet you the dealer says it's normal. get me a honda company exec or engineer (btw i've talked to local engineers at honda) who says that and will stand down LOL.
So your tail lights are vacuum sealed? Because if there is air in them then there is moisture. I think we need a more specific statement from OP. Is it a light condensation fog that goes away once out and about or is it actual water puddling inside? If standing water yes seals, did you change bulbs or have housing off for any reason? If so put back seals correctly or use that vaseline seal stuff on bulds? If just a fog that goes away after a bit of driving around normal. All my cars have had that at one point or other. My R gets it timed to time if bigvtemp differences from night to day but goes away.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag