Hard time deciding between hatchback Sport vs. EX

OP
OP

sneakmefood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
After test driving all the models I actually ended up getting a CPO 2017 Civic EX-T instead. The hatchback seemed a little too small and the look was a little too aggressive for me but still looks great imo.
Sponsored

MR.CAMACHO

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
I'm looking at only the hatchback EX and Sport so I'll be getting the 1.5T engine either way (which was a must). I haven't had a car with that type of tech so I don't know what I'm missing but this might be a good opportunity to take the plunge.

However, I'm leaning towards the Sport now... only thing I really want from the EX is the side view camera and the 7 inch touchscreen but not sure it's worth it to me over what I lose in the Sport.
I just got the Ex and absolutely love it’s couldn’t imagine not having side view camera and nice big touch screen

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After test driving all the models I actually ended up getting a CPO 2017 Civic EX-T instead. The hatchback seemed a little too small and the look was a little too aggressive for me but still looks great imo.
The hatch is too small? :dunno:

Scott_ATL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic HB Sport Touring, 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
I was in the same boat as the OP. Once my spouse and I tested both the Sport and the EX, we hated the cloth. We could have lived with the seats, but the armrest and center console we knew would be hard for us to keep clean (sunscreen and trips to the beach) and we decided Honda Sensing was important to us. That bumped us up to the EX-L w/ Navi & HS or Sport Touring. The only EX-L w/ HS was about 200 miles away, and black on black. So, currently trying to work a deal on a Sport Touring in either WOP/Lunar Silver/Sonic Gray.

Captain

Ghost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic FB7 , 2020Civic FC5
Country flag
I'm looking to pick up a new daily driver and having the hardest time between these two. It's basically between looks vs. technology at this point. Both will be CVT for commuting purposes. What are everyone's thoughts on this? If the Sport had the tech of the EX it would be perfect for me. I'm somewhat leaning towards the Sport at this point but really not sure.

Sport pros:
- paddle shifters
- better looking wheels
- black window trim
- no moonroof (I don't need or want this)

Sport cons:
- premium fuel recommended
- small display + lack of tech is not ideal

EX pros:
- display is nice
- technology (side cameras, etc) is a huge plus
- takes regular gas
- slightly better fuel economy

EX cons:
- can't stand the chrome trim (don't really want to vinyl wrap or anything)
- can't stand the wheels (don't really want to get after market rims)
if you do not have the hurry, wait for the 2019 model

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I know the OP went for the Sedan already but I feel like people in a similar situation might be looking at this thread for answers so just wanted to give my 2 cents on it. The Sport looks better from the factory but its differences lie in cosmetic things like the grill, centered exhaust, and wheels. Whereas the EX has internal differences like the touchscreen radio, full color digital gauge cluster, heated seats, lanewatch, sunroof and remote start. All of these things are pretty hard/impossible to install if you buy a sport hatch, whereas on the EX you can throw on some nice wheels with springs to add to the aggressiveness, install an exhaust of your liking, and maybe a nice black grill and you got a car that looks as aggressive as the sport combined with the interior luxuries of the EX. EX is a better buy IMO. Plus with a tune the extra horsepower the sport gives you becomes irrelevant. Basically if you're someone who knows you are going to mod your car anyway, the EX is a better buy but if you want to keep it factory then it just depends if tech or looks matter to you more.

2tango2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX- Lunar Silver
Country flag
I was in the same boat deciding between the two. I was coming from a Charger R/T that was running me close to 500 a month for gas. 100 mile round trip commute each day. 98% highway travel on said commute. I really dig the looks of the Sport but opted for the EX. I like my creature comforts like SiriusXM, heated seats, remote start etc.

Only peeves are the steering wheel should be leather wrapped on the EX and no volume nob is a little odd but not a deal breaker. Not a fan of sunroofs but at 5'11 I still have room and not bumping my head.

I've only had it just shy of 2 weeks but am happy with the car other than the windshield has cracked already :/ Plenty of power and loving the effect on my wallet compared to feeding the Charger. Still breaking the engine in with about 1500 on the clock but avg around 40 mpg which will only go up with more miles on it.

Congrats on your new Civic OP, I looked at the EX sedan as well but liked the versatility of the HB more

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
I was in the same boat deciding between the two. I was coming from a Charger R/T that was running me close to 500 a month for gas. 100 mile round trip commute each day. 98% highway travel on said commute. I really dig the looks of the Sport but opted for the EX. I like my creature comforts like SiriusXM, heated seats, remote start etc.

Only peeves are the steering wheel should be leather wrapped on the EX and no volume nob is a little odd but not a deal breaker. Not a fan of sunroofs but at 5'11 I still have room and not bumping my head.

I've only had it just shy of 2 weeks but am happy with the car other than the windshield has cracked already :/ Plenty of power and loving the effect on my wallet compared to feeding the Charger. Still breaking the engine in with about 1500 on the clock but avg around 40 mpg which will only go up with more miles on it.

Congrats on your new Civic OP, I looked at the EX sedan as well but liked the versatility of the HB more
500 per month... Damnnn that's 6000 per year.
Sponsored