Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recall!!!

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
If your life depend on those tools, i personally wouldn't get it cheap.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If your life depend on those tools, i personally wouldn't get it cheap.
It's not the price, it's "Does it work as advertised?" and not defective. At least HF is prepared to make it right. 4x4 wood blocks are cheap and work, they're just a PIA.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's not the price, it's "Does it work as advertised?" and not defective. At least HF is prepared to make it right. 4x4 wood blocks are cheap and work, they're just a PIA.
Cool narrative.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
4 x 4 wood blocks, it is.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not sure what to make of this - picture is of a stress test fracture with unknown stress.
Article and reference to stress test indicate a 3 ton rated stand was stressed to 9 tons!
Recall is for ratchet releasing not splitting the stand.
Whatever - hope user contacted NHTSA not a lawyer.
Stress test? 3 ton to 9 ton?

Honda Civic 10th gen Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recall!!! 333

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
It's amazing how much mess is there in the business that's all about safety. ANSI now mandated that all jack stands are rated by pair, while jack stands always were, are, and will be often used singly, to support one side of the car. It is perfectly fine to support one side of the car on one jack stand, as it is also fine to properly put the whole car on four of them.
The problem is that some manufacturers don't say clearly whether it's the pair or each. Well, now when someone says the rating has to be per pair, maybe they think they don't need to?

So this is a bit of a mess with load ratings. I suppose all of these jacks were originally designed to hold 3 tons each, and if manufactured correctly, they can. Rating per pair effectively extended the safety margin by a factor of two.

But the Home Depot sells Husky 3-Ton jack stands which are rated 3 ton each, 6-Ton pair. Which is clearly reflected in Home Depot online description. Each jack's post cast says "3 TON," just like other stands that are actually rated by pair, each really rated 1.5 Ton.
These Husky "3 Ton" Jack stands have the dimensions and the price close to other "3 ton" stands, not the other manufacturers' 6 Ton jacks, which are rated "per pair." But these are rated 3 Ton each.

Quote: "Each jack stand has a 3 ton lifting capacity with a total lift capacity of 12,000 lbs combined. "
"Collapsed height of 12 in."
I recently bought these jack stands. They are different from the HF stands and they are "Made in Vietnam," not China. With a locking pin. These are in my opinion the best cheap Asiatic stands that I saw available in stores. The shape of the cradle is of the deeper kind.

Another pair of even lower priced "3-Ton" jack stands from Home Depot (Pro-Lift) is Made in China and they look basically like the HF stands. They are rated 3 ton per pair. While the general quality class of all these is the same, the welds/construction still looks a bit better than HF and they have instead of just a locking pin, a triangular locking bar that actually can hold the shaft on another tooth. So if the main pawl somehow failed, it could still be held by that bar.

So I own these too, and they are also definitely a better value than the HF jacks.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-Ton-Jack-Stand-Pair-HPL4124-HUSKY/304404426
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pro-Lif...ctile-Iron-Ratchet-Bar-Pair-T-6903D/306938992

For me the most important is my personal inspection of each jack stand I buy. These are all made to rather low quality control standards, sometimes looking like made by political prisoners. Some may not work out of the box and require a slight repair. I return those I find with flaws, such as thin welds, excessive wobbling on the four legs, and any mis-shaped parts, etc. But in the end they are heavy chunks of iron, cast, welded, painted, boxed and transported here from Asia and sold for $10 each, so....:dunno: what can you expect. I guess that's what people want. The price of a jack stand should not exceed the price of two 16 oz Pumpkin Spice Lattes.

So now I own no less than 3 pairs of "3-Ton" labeled jack stands (one of them being in fact "6 Ton" per pair) plus one pair of 2-Ton jack stands. I would fully expect just one of the 2-Ton stands should alone hold my entire civic up in the air (if I was able to balance the car on one stand :D , and no, I wouldn't crawl under it :fear:)

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's happened again.

Important Information About Jack Stands
Honda Civic 10th gen Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recall!!! logo
To the Harbor Freight Community:
I'm writing to apologize. I often reach out to tell you about Harbor Freight's commitment to quality and all the investments we've made to deliver quality tools at the lowest prices. Your trust matters deeply to me and I'm proud of how far we've come. So when we have a product recall, it hurts.
A few months ago, we recalled our Pittsburgh 3 ton and 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 61196 and 61197) due to a manufacturer's defect. We asked customers to return them and receive a gift card that could be used to purchase replacement jack stands. I felt terrible about that recall because you should never have a concern about the safety of any of our products.
Today, I feel even worse. I'm disappointed and embarrassed because we've identified a welding defect in a small number of the Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKU 56373) that replaced the recalled jack stands. We're now adding these jack stands to our recall. Unfortunately, this defect wasn't discovered during the initial recall investigation. If you own these jack stands or any of the jack stands in our original recall, whether or not you have had an issue with them, please stop using them immediately and bring them back to your local Harbor Freight Store for a full cash refund or store credit (see details here).
We have investigated all of our other Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 56372 and 57308) as well as the Pittsburgh 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56368, 56369 and 56370) and Pittsburgh 12 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56374 and 56375) and did not find the defect. Although none of these other jack stands are being recalled, if you own any of them and have any concern whatsoever, please bring them back and we'll give you a full cash refund or store credit for those as well.
I want to apologize to all of our customers. While we've dramatically grown our team of engineers and inspectors, and intensified our tests and inspections, I assure you that the lessons learned from this will drive further improvement.
As the owner and founder of Harbor Freight, I want you to know that we stand behind every product we sell and that safety will always be our top priority.
Sincerely,
Honda Civic 10th gen Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recall!!! eric_si

Eric Smidt
Owner and Founder
Harbor Freight Tools
Honda Civic 10th gen Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recall!!! eric_si

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
That's why, when I returned my previously recalled 3 ton jack stands to HF for store credit, after looking critically at the replacements they had, I decided to get something else. They looked thinly welded.
As it turns out, I still have another pair of 3 ton HF jack stands, 62392, which is not mentioned above.

So now I own 4 pairs of jack stands, 2 hydraulic floor jacks, one pair of steel ramps, and two sets of DIY wood ramps. All these acquired since I bought the civic. Besides scissor jacks that come with cars, I only had a pair of plastic ramps before. :D