Hands on with TSP's Stage 1 tune for the 1.5T (non-Si)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
So, i will have a cut of power only. It's right?
Basically yes, that's all. If you monitor knock control and see it rise to 1.0, make sure you back off on aggressive driving until it drops back down.

You're welcome to upload a log here as a .zip and I'll check it out if you're concerned.
Sponsored

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Well KC is there to protect the engine.
Above 5300rpm it will retard ignition by 6.5 degrees. If KC goes above 0.7 it will remove a little more, up to 8 degrees or so. This will be mostly proactive retard just as a precaution.
But getting as high as 1+ and probably removing 12 or more degrees of ignition is a good sign that it actually detected knock. KC will most probably keep your engine safe, but it is better to avoid knock than have your ECU remove it imho

Personal opinion: a nicely built tune should not require a lot of backing off. Imagine not having a V2 or tuner view active... ?

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Well KC is there to protect the engine.
Above 5300rpm it will retard ignition by 6.5 degrees. If KC goes above 0.7 it will remove a little more, up to 8 degrees or so. This will be mostly proactive retard just as a precaution.
But getting as high as 1+ and probably removing 12 or more degrees of ignition is a good sign that it actually detected knock. KC will most probably keep your engine safe, but it is better to avoid knock than have your ECU remove it imho
For sure if it lands in 1.0 in just a pull or two it detected real knock. But the rise is so heavy because it also rise with the RPM. I use to change at 5500 or so, almost never change at redline.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
A 3rd + 4th WOT pull, with warm weather changing gear up to the rev limiter will make it easily land in 0.7 to 1.0 territory..
I live in Greece, so ambient temperatures are not at all different to yours and .75 is the most i see even when pulling 100-200, (so 3rd 4th 5th)
Just saying...

SilverArrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5 T. Sport
Country flag
This is my log of four weeks ago, with limit boos to 21 psi: high value knock control there is with 16,5 and 19 psi setting also.

Attachments

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Personal opinion: a nicely built tune should not require a lot of backing off. Imagine not having a V2 or tuner view active... ?
Knock is common even on stock tune, you can't account for every possible scenario. For sure you can minimize it with a custom tune. Tho as I said, if you dont change at redline and use an intercooler (and make sure the air filter is clean so the turbo isn't working harder) the knock control rise will be minimal.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I live in Greece, so ambient temperatures are not at all different to yours and .75 is the most i see even when pulling 100-200, (so 3rd 4th 5th)
Just saying...
At which RPM you change gear?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
SilverArrow...

So here's the thing. I did a quick look at your log and it's kind of understandable that knock control rose to 1.0 at a point ...

You were pushing it REALLY hard. Matter of fact, you had nearly 10 hard pulls in a matter of 7-8 minutes. Other than that, I didn't see any problems/issues show up in the log.

Here's a screen from the 5:03 mark after you had been going in "race car mode" for a while :cool: :

Honda Civic 10th gen Hands on with TSP's Stage 1 tune for the 1.5T (non-Si) 2020-06-06 144701

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5 T. Sport
Country flag
For "race car mode" i mean a race on the track: however, it does not seem to me to be my case.

I will try to change the air filter also.

Thank you very much Gtman

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The log says the first rise was after a few pulls, it first jumps to 0.6x and then to 0.9x with the intercooler at 50 ÂşC (heatsoaked, temperature raised very fast), very common. I use to see my after intercooler temps 5 to 10 degrees (celsius) over ambient (mishimoto FMIC) and k.control stays at 0.49 all the time except when ambient temp is too hot, idle heatsoaked or change gear past 5300 RPM.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The log says the first rise was after a few pulls, it first jumps to 0.6x and then to 0.9x with the intercooler at 50 ÂşC (heatsoaked, temperature raised very fast), very common. I use to see my after intercooler temps 5 to 10 degrees (celsius) over ambient (mishimoto FMIC) and k.control stays at 0.49 all the time except when ambient temp is too hot, idle heatsoaked or change gear past 5300 RPM.
So is it a fair assessment here is that he has an overactive knock control due to his intake air temperatures being too hot? And that to resolve this he can upgrade his intercooler but in the meantime, don't run the car too hard back to back with the stock intercooler?

**I am at work at the moment so can't look at the log.**

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So is it a fair assessment here is that he has an overactive knock control due to his intake air temperatures being too hot? And that to resolve this he can upgrade his intercooler but in the meantime, don't run the car too hard back to back with the stock intercooler?

**I am at work at the moment so can't look at the log.**
I think hot air is causing some knock, that's expected.
Honda Civic 10th gen Hands on with TSP's Stage 1 tune for the 1.5T (non-Si) 1591472577319

Just back up a bit untill things get cooler. If you are really serious at it and want more performance for longer go buy an aftermarket intercooler, I recommend it but it's expensive so make sure that's what you want.

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
[QUOTE = "varge, post: 817309, membro: 15160"]
6400-6700 a seconda dell'ingranaggio.
Faccio il massimo whp fino a 6400, quindi tendo a fargli girare un po ' :)
[/CITAZIONE]
BBuahahhahaha. Always??
Sponsored