Hands on with TSP's Stage 1 tune for the 1.5T (non-Si)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The TSP tune is different then the starter tunes from KTuner. Those starter tunes have many, many user adjustments as you know. The TSP tune was designed to operate a certain way and Derek doesn't want people tweaking it too much. Consider it like a sort of semi-custom tune that is mostly locked.
Sponsored

Last edited:

boinam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring Hatch
Country flag
Ah thanks. I must have confused the two. I wasn't planning on using the starter tunes much since I was going to get the TSP tune. So with TSP, for example, I can't set it to use factory boost levels with Eco on, and use the tune's boost levels with Eco off?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
TSP Stage 1 already comes pre-set with three different on the fly maps and all three have reduced boost levels with the econ button on. Basically Map 1 is near stock. Map 2 is a bit more potent and Map 3 is the full power tune.

boinam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring Hatch
Country flag
I see. So there's nothing else to it other than flashing and seeing what it's got!

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Just flash and enjoy :)

MikeM1991

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
TSP Stage 1 already comes pre-set with three different on the fly maps and all three have reduced boost levels with the econ button on. Basically Map 1 is near stock. Map 2 is a bit more potent and Map 3 is the full power tune.
Gtman, would you still vouch for this over KTuner's Base 21? I know we spoke about this via DM's.

I did go ahead and get a KTuner and I'm still running the 21PSI basemap. For the way I drive it feel's awesome. Tune 2 feels about perfect for everyday driving, a decent mix of economy and it has more potency when I get on it.

How did you have throttle response set? How would you say it's set with the TSP? I found that on Tune 3 at the full 21PSI at the slightest prod of the peddle the car wanted to go but it wasn't the smooth delivery I prefer. I am constantly reading great things about the TSP and may bite the bullet. My setup is attached.

I'm more of a partial throttle, like to hear the boost build kinda guy :thumbsup::love: and in the regular "drive" mode it feels like 2000-4500rpm is the sweet spot.

I very rarely go WOT and take the car above 5500-6000rpm to feel the benefit I'm hearing the TSP in that rpm range but it does sound like it's a much more polished product.

Love the threads btw. Learned a lot reading through them. ??

Honda Civic 10th gen Hands on with TSP's Stage 1 tune for the 1.5T (non-Si) Current Setu

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Both are awesome with some major differences. First off, if you've tweaked the KTuner tune and love it there's no real reason to switch, especially if you like more low end scoot and aren't worried about extra high rpm power.

On it's own, Derek's TSP tune is amazing. It's super smooth and polished. But coming from my tweaked KTuner 21, the low end took some getting used to. You literally do have to give it more throttle than with the Ktuner tune and that gives the illusion of the TSP tune being slightly slower around town.

Personally, my fun comes from high speed highway passing moves and the TSP tune excels there. With KTuner, a lot of the power seems loaded toward the low-midrange and high rpm feels like a slight letdown. The TSP tune is more linear from top to bottom.

Another point to consider...

If you like fiddling with the KTuner quick adjustment driveability settings (gtman raises his hand), the TSP tune does takes a bit of getting used to as all those settings are locked.

So should everyone just be using the TSP Stage 1? If you want a super smooth, polished, set and forget tune, I'd say it's the perfect choice. But, if you do like being able to tweak your own tune to your liking, the KTuner starter tunes are a great, free choice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Map 2 and driving in crazy, mad, need for speed Coronaland.

The highways around here have become race tracks. For the most part I generally don't try to compete and just let the super speedsters fly by me but today I decided to play.

Map 2 is my go to tune for everyday commuting and I kept it there. Even with that lower power tune I got ahead of the speed demons with ease. It still amazes me how dialed in this tune is. I know I had a few V6/V8 owners scratching their heads as I zoomed by. The only downside was the 25 mpg I got on the commute. :drive: :cool:

Best $80 mod ever.

alao01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-L
Country flag
Map 2 and driving in crazy, mad, need for speed Coronaland.

The highways around here have become race tracks. For the most part I generally don't try to compete and just let the super speedsters fly by me but today I decided to play.

Map 2 is my go to tune for everyday commuting and I kept it there. Even with that lower power tune I got ahead of the speed demons with ease. It still amazes me how dialed in this tune is. I know I had a few V6/V8 owners scratching their heads as I zoomed by. The only downside was the 25 mpg I got on the commute. :drive: :cool:

Best $80 mod ever.
Which v6/v8 were those?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
An Audi and a V8 pickup truck.

Keep in mind I wasn't racing them simply said I know they were surprised how fast my Civic was.

MikeM1991

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Both are awesome with some major differences. First off, if you've tweaked the KTuner tune and love it there's no real reason to switch, especially if you like more low end scoot and aren't worried about extra high rpm power.

On it's own, Derek's TSP tune is amazing. It's super smooth and polished. But coming from my tweaked KTuner 21, the low end took some getting used to. You literally do have to give it more throttle than with the Ktuner tune and that gives the illusion of the TSP tune being slightly slower around town.

Personally, my fun comes from high speed highway passing moves and the TSP tune excels there. With KTuner, a lot of the power seems loaded toward the low-midrange and high rpm feels like a slight letdown. The TSP tune is more linear from top to bottom.

Another point to consider...

If you like fiddling with the KTuner quick adjustment driveability settings (gtman raises his hand), the TSP tune does takes a bit of getting used to as all those settings are locked.

So should everyone just be using the TSP Stage 1? If you want a super smooth, polished, set and forget tune, I'd say it's the perfect choice. But, if you do like being able to tweak your own tune to your liking, the KTuner starter tunes are a great, free choice.
Yeah, I went ahead and paid the $80 for the TSP Tune, (haven't installed yet)

Yesterday I went into KTuner and toned down my setup slightly because of MPG. Took throttle response down to Improved I, but upped the PSI slightly in Map 1 to 17.

Feels much more linear with partial throttle from 2000 to about 5000rpm in maps 1 and 2 and it starts to tail off and still has the grunt when you go WOT, which is fine by me because most of my spirited driving is in the twisty's where its up and down and for high way driving and overtaking it seems much better because MPG has now gone back to 35+ even after I get on it now and then. Map 3 is smoother overall too because it feels like the boost is building rather than kicking you in the back and taking off.

I usually just leave it on map 2 (19PSI) as it feels the smoothest, with Eco set to 16.5. Changed to "Eco on normalized throttle" and turned off the other setting where it says "Normal Sport+" and it feels much better for when you want to just cruise and save some fuel.

Left everything else, spool II, turbo responsiveness I, II and III etc..

I'll eventually try out the TSP for sure, but seriously impressed for what KTuner can do.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of folks use that Sport+ setting but to me it pushed throttle response way too far. It was jumpy off the line but it completely fizzled out at high rpm. And like you said, mpgs take a noticeable hit.

The KTuner base maps feel way more refined and balanced using less aggressive quick adjustment settings.

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5 T. Sport
Country flag
Hi guys,

i finally bought TSP tune: when the lockdown will be ended, i am very curiosy to try this tune and make a comparison with starter21 psi tune.

On my TSP tune i set boost by gear to 21 psi.

bye

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys,

i finally bought TSP tune: when the lockdown will be ended, i am very curiosy to try this tune and make a comparison with starter21 psi tune.

On my TSP tune i set boost by gear to 21 psi.

bye
21 psi in 1st is too high. Unless you have incredibly grippy aftermarket tires, I wouldn't go higher than the 18 psi Derek has it set to.

SilverArrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5 T. Sport
Country flag
Sorry, i didn't write. First gear is set to 18 psi.: the others gears i set 21 psi.
Sponsored