Hands on with TSP's Stage 1 tune for the 1.5T (non-Si)

GixxerMKD

First Name
Baze
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 Hatchback Sport 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
[

I know dynos vary, but this one seems out of whack. Honda claims 174 hp factory (crank) and you're getting 200 hp on the dyno which is a fine result. But only 225 at the crank with the TSP and 196 at the wheels seems insanely off. That's why I honestly don't put much stock in dyno results. My butt dyno is much more accurate. :cool: And IMO the TSP Map 3 hauls ass. No way in hell it legitimately is only putting out 196 to the wheels unless you have issues.
I hear you there, i know the car pulls like mad above 4k, i just wandered why the numbers are so low on the dyno, honestly lower than what i expected. Maybe its the dyno, if i manage to find another one nearby ill do another run.

Btw is there somebody (person/company) who could do a map which would combine the ktuner starter 21 pull in lower rpm with the tsp map 3 in higher rpms? Now that would haul ass...
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Btw is there somebody (person/company) who could do a map which would combine the ktuner starter 21 pull in lower rpm with the tsp map 3 in higher rpms? Now that would haul ass...
Funny you said that. I said the same thing months ago. I do miss the aggressive low end of the Ktuner 21. My guess is the early spool, aggressive throttle and part throttle turbo settings (like on the KTuner 21) take away from the top end response. Maybe a custom tune could give you the best of both tunes.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
I think it is the throttle response and a bit of more boost, but map 3 on the TSP already feel very punchy (MT version) dunno why you like more agressive torque down low. The CVT tune I think is kept conservative.

Any update on this?
I think if we collect some datalogs showing a real problem they will push forward and open the MAF of fix it manually. Derek did check my logs and the problem for me was ktuner settings for AFR datalogging not configured for gasoline.

GixxerMKD

First Name
Baze
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 Hatchback Sport 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think it is the throttle response and a bit of more boost, but map 3 on the TSP already feel very punchy (MT version) dunno why you like more agressive torque down low. The CVT tune I think is kept conservative.
I'm also on mt, i just miss the kick in lower rpm which i had with the ktuner dual 21, it was like a jump start on traffic lights in the city, probably just my driving style.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also on mt, i just miss the kick in lower rpm which i had with the ktuner dual 21, it was like a jump start on traffic lights in the city, probably just my driving style.
Exactly. Sure you can just give the throttle a deeper jab and the TSP responds well. There's just something really satisfying about that super snappy KTuner throttle feel stoplight to stoplight.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Derek's implementation on Throttle Response and Ramp rate / spool are not as aggressive as you can do with KTuner custom / starter maps. But do realize that with settings maxed out, the boost will overshoot at spool. Now this may be fine when you jab it at 3500 and the boost target is 21 and it may overshoot to say 23-24 , but with TSP targeting 24'ish the overboost might be a dangerous situation, either for the CVT or for the clutch (possibly for engine internals as well after some point of abuse)
Ideally, you should be able to tune response and spool by rpm range, now THAT would allow for your dream tune :)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Varge, if Derek opened up the part throttle turbo responsiveness setting (and we set it more aggressive) would that improve the low end feel a bit?

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Varge, if Derek opened up the part throttle turbo responsiveness setting (and we set it more aggressive) would that improve the low end feel a bit?
I think he has clearly stated in the past that he will not. He's a reasonable man, he ought to have his reasons :)

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
At the end of the day it's a Stage1.

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red Honda Civic Sport (EU)
Country flag
Funny you said that. I said the same thing months ago. I do miss the aggressive low end of the Ktuner 21. My guess is the early spool, aggressive throttle and part throttle turbo settings (like on the KTuner 21) take away from the top end response. Maybe a custom tune could give you the best of both tunes.
I'd say it was made like that on purpose. The car has rod bending torque that down below so I guess that's why it was made more progressive on that range...

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's some updated thoughts after running this tune on my CVT/turbo for over six months.

Slightly off topic, I ran the stock tune for a week before a dealer visit, and wow, it really is a bit of a slug compared to tuned. Now that I got that off my chest, time for my 6 month update ...

Things I really like about this tune:

The power above 3500 rpm.
How linear the power rises with throttle input.

Mild disappointment with the tune:
Noticeably less throttle response and grunt at the low end compared to the Ktuner 21 with Improved/Aggressive settings.

The KTuner 21 is an excellent tune and really is at it's best driving around town. It feels really jumpy off the line with early spool and aggressive part throttle turbo and improved throttle response. On the highway at high speed it also has plenty of power but does lose that amazing feeling because it feels like it runs out of steam at the top. All in all a very, very nice tune though.

The TSP Stage 1 for the 1.5 CVT feels a lot different. Up until 2,000 rpm you'd honestly think it was the bone stock Honda tune. Obviously, there's not a ton of power there anyway but throttle is more sluggish then I prefer. Power starts to feel a bit better at 2500 rpm and at 2500+, it's clear this isn't the Honda tune.:cool:

3,000 rpm is when things start to come alive. 3000-3500 rpm it starts to feel like you actually have some grunt. And above 4,000 you realize this tune puts down some serious power that can get you in trouble real fast (but in a fun way).

It feels like the gas pedal is attached to your brain. Give it a little gas and the speedo hardly moves, a little more and the needle moves quicker. Press it further to the floor and it becomes the bat out of hell you want.

The KTuner tune with aggressive settings has a much different throttle feel, at least to me. The first half of pedal travel is so snappy you wonder if there's a V6 under the hood. Press it closer to the floor on the highway and you kind of wonder "what happened?" ... The power is there but your brain expects there to be more, if that makes sense. Ultimately, the top end feels like a letdown because of the incredible low/mid range.

Bottom line though, both tunes are great. Just different. Great work JR and Derek.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

highroller

First Name
U Hash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
Guys need your help.
I am unable to load tsp tune. I installed cobra CAI race maf. When I open tsp file in ktuner nothing happens after selecting file.. unable to upload (up arrow)
I am on latest version of ktuner and ktuner base maps upload just fine.
Pls suggest

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Guys need your help.
I am unable to load tsp tune. I installed cobra CAI race maf. When I open tsp file in ktuner nothing happens after selecting file.. unable to upload (up arrow)
I am on latest version of ktuner and ktuner base maps upload just fine.
Pls suggest
Try to redownload, maybe the file is corrupted. If not, @KTuner or tsp can help you.

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
Here's some updated thoughts after running this tune on my CVT/turbo for over six months.

Slightly off topic, I ran the stock tune for a week before a dealer visit, and wow, it really is a bit of a slug compared to tuned. Now that I got that off my chest, time for my 6 month update ...

Things I really like about this tune:

The power above 3500 rpm.
How linear the power rises with throttle input.

Mild disappointment with the tune:
Noticeably less throttle response and grunt at the low end compared to the Ktuner 21 with Improved/Aggressive settings.

The KTuner 21 is an excellent tune and really is at it's best driving around town. It feels really jumpy off the line with early spool and aggressive part throttle turbo and improved throttle response. On the highway at high speed it also has plenty of power but does lose that amazing feeling because it feels like it runs out of steam at the top. All in all a very, very nice tune though.

The TSP Stage 1 for the 1.5 CVT feels a lot different. Up until 2,000 rpm you'd honestly think it was the bone stock Honda tune. Obviously, there's not a ton of power there anyway but throttle is more sluggish then I prefer. Power starts to feel a bit better at 2500 rpm and at 2500+, it's clear this isn't the Honda tune.:cool:

3,000 rpm is when things start to come alive. 3000-3500 rpm it starts to feel like you actually have some grunt. And above 4,000 you realize this tune puts down some serious power that can get you in trouble real fast (but in a fun way).

It feels like the gas pedal is attached to your brain. Give it a little gas and the speedo hardly moves, a little more and the needle moves quicker. Press it further to the floor and it becomes the bat out of hell you want.

The KTuner tune with aggressive settings has a much different throttle feel, at least to me. The first half of pedal travel is so snappy you wonder if there's a V6 under the hood. Press it closer to the floor on the highway and you kind of wonder "what happened?" ... The power is there but your brain expects there to be more, if that makes sense. Ultimately, the top end feels like a letdown because of the incredible low/mid range.

Bottom line though, both tunes are great. Just different. Great work JR and Derek.:thumbsup:
Thanks Gtman. Its been awesome watching reading all this Ktuner TSP stuff, lots of good info. Of course I'm always looking for more power down, safely mind you. TSP seems to be there at the high end and might be worth a try.

You say you get power above 3500? Is there a definite throwback more so than Ktuner 21 at 3500-4000 and above? It must be, since you used Ktuner 21 for a while and you would notice it.

I've set my Ktune 21 to a customized increasing taper (0.5, 0.7, 1.0....) throughout the low mid top at final 23, 0.5 more than Ktuner final boost table. I let the ECU adjust the rest, Tunerview shows good, and it kicks in good about 3000. Ya, it's noticeably more low to mid. Haven't stayed at the top (need clear highway) for long to notice any fall off, mid to top seems to be smooth and fly's where it's at. When I approach 6000 it stays for half second then it does the fake shift to 5200 or so, can't tell if there's a fall off in boost, it just keeps climbing in MPH. Checking my log file, I am running at or past my boost target though. Do you think TSP 1 is tuned with the CVT to keep RPM's high? Hard to believe there could be more.:D It would be something to see, Ktuner TSP side by side and see how they do.

Last edited:

dldaves

First Name
Darius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
“S” drive accelerates a little faster and has a little more throttle response, as well as keeping the RPMs higher and imaginary gear ratios tighter. Also enables the use of the paddle shifters if you have them. With the higher RPM you'll engage boost a little quicker and it'll feel more aggressive since you're starting out closer to the power band.

And yeah, as far as KTuner and TSP Stage 1, 1000% yes.
i noticed after I installed tsp1 race tune maf with my cobra cold air race intake I have a 2019 hatch it doesn't show boost period its just blank doesn't give me numbers period I wonder what happened.
Sponsored