Hands on with TSP's Stage 1 tune for the 1.5T (non-Si)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Like Neddih said, if you keep your KTuner hooked up, it will startup in Map 3 if it was in 3 when you turned the car off. Otherwise it will revert to Map 1.

Keep in mind Map 1 is basically a "stock+" commuter type tune. Map 3 will actually throw you back at high rpm. You will grin ear to ear.

Also, contact TSP and (for a small fee) I'm sure they can set up Map 3 as Map 1 if you prefer that reversed setup.
Sponsored

Last edited:

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
Awesome,thanks guys! I'm fine leaving it plugged in for now. Map I is basically just a better spooling earlier/higher boost version of stock. It felt like it should have from the factory, but had me questioning "where's the beef?". Too bad I have to pick up lumber on the way home so I won't get to sample the boost most of the ride.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Awesome,thanks guys! I'm fine leaving it plugged in for now. Map I is basically just a better spooling earlier/higher boost version of stock. It felt like it should have from the factory, but had me questioning "where's the beef?". Too bad I have to pick up lumber on the way home so I won't get to sample the boost most of the ride.

Proceeds to take the long route to the lumber yard...

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
^ Good thinking.

UberCivic... while in Map 3, floor it at 4,000 rpm and unleash the beast! :cool: Bring a change of underwear just in case.

sonicD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Is Map 1 really all that different from stock? Will I always be having to switch to Map 3 and Sport mode to really benefit from the tune, or is Map 3 and Normal drive sufficient?

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
Is Map 1 really all that different from stock? Will I always be having to switch to Map 3 and Sport mode to really benefit from the tune, or is Map 3 and Normal drive sufficient?
I've left the Ktuner module plugged in for the whole week so far and since I switched maps yesterday it's holding map 3. Here is the info right off of theTSP site. I shoulda read on before asking here!

Honda Civic 10th gen Hands on with TSP's Stage 1 tune for the 1.5T (non-Si) upload_2019-10-10_14-37-34

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Will I always be having to switch to Map 3 and Sport mode to really benefit from the tune, or is Map 3 and Normal drive sufficient?
Some will disagree, but I'm a big fan of the variety the three on the fly maps give you. You have the stock-like (but better) Map 1, the mid power Map 2 and the ballsy Map 3.

Now some people say "I wish Map 3 was the default Map 1" and I get it. But think about this. Tunes do put additional stress on the drivetrain. In the long run it's probably not a bad idea to use a lower power tune for everyday commuting and the high power tune as the occasional fun tune. Keeping in mind even the TSP Map 1 is better than stock.

As far as Sport mode, I don't use it often but it definitely ups the fun factor (at the expense of mpg's and wear and tear).

For me, one of the amazing things about KTuner is the flexibility it gives you. If you want simple and basic, you can do that. But you can also have a huge variety of different feels by using the transmission's S mode or Econ button combined with the 3 different maps. It's sort of mind boggling.

Last edited:

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I try to use the gas pedal to modulate how much boost or power I want so I'm good with the aggressive map3 and some self restraint. I however would and will pull the Ktuner module off and put it into the glove box before letting anyone else borrow the car, and back to map 1 it goes.

sonicD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Some will disagree, but I'm a big fan of the variety the three on the fly maps give you. You have the stock-like (but better) Map 1, the mid power Map 2 and the ballsy Map 3.

Now some people say "I wish Map 3 was the default Map 1" and I get it. But think about this. Tunes do put additional stress on the drivetrain. In the long run it's probably not a bad idea to use a lower power tune for everyday commuting and the high power tune as the occasional fun tune. Keeping in mind even the TSP Map 1 is better than stock.

As far as Sport mode, I don't use it often but it definitely ups the fun factor (at the expense of mpg's and wear and tear).

For me, one of the amazing things about KTuner is the flexibility it gives you. If you want simple and basic, you can do that. But you can also have a huge variety of different feels by using the transmission's S mode or Econ button combined with the 3 different maps. It's sort of mind boggling.
Thanks for the input! I'm looking forward to purchasing now. What is the difference in HP and torque between Map 1 and Map 3?

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Thanks for the input! I'm looking forward to purchasing now. What is the difference in HP and torque between Map 1 and Map 3?
Should be listed on the tune page for your car at twostepperformace.com

theblackdogman

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Fuel question. Normally run the TSP1 map all the time. Wife put in 87. Can I just run on factory map included with tune or should I actually flash back to factory?

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Fuel question. Normally run the TSP1 map all the time. Wife put in 87. Can I just run on factory map included with tune or should I actually flash back to factory?
You mean map1 right, that's a good question. It's not very aggressive and I was thinking the same thing for long road trips. I'd like to throw in 87 use map1 and switch back to map3 when I get 93 again, all without loading a full tune.

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
I don't think so, the map is one, only the turbo settings change
Sponsored