Hands on with TSP's Stage 1 tune for the 1.5T (non-Si)

theblackdogman

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Hi All,

New to the forum and purchased my first Honda at 56 years old. Anyway, how many of you are running these tunes in the hot climates down south? I saw a comment that an aftermarket intercooler is highly recommended which really jacks up the cost for fun :)

Thanks for your input!
I live in Orlando and have been running this tune for the last 2,200 miles. It is great. I notice that my after intercooler temps are between -18 and -25 below prior. You will be fine without it. I have a 2019 and the stock intercooler works well.
Sponsored

kpzcivic

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport hatch
Country flag
Thanks for the responses. I have a 2019 and don't plan on abusing it. Just want a more sporty driving experience and the occasional highway burst :)

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the responses. I have a 2019 and don't plan on abusing it. Just want a more sporty driving experience and the occasional highway burst :)
If you are just cruising around town and no taking it to the track, your stock will do ok. It gets heatsoaked when sitting still easily. An aftermarket one really helps for racing and recovery from heat. I have the TSP 1 for CVT and its fine. If my temps get way up in the 120-130s I just take it easy, no Wide open throttle stuff till it comes down.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've not only been impressed with the quality of the tune but the mpg's have been stellar. I do about 60% highway, 40% city, but even my highway miles often include rush hour stop and go. Even so, and combined with the fact I tend to drive too fast, I've averaged 39.5 mpg over my last two tankfuls. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Myx

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's one for people who haven't tried this tune. So, today was a nice cool 70 degree day. Perfect weather for a tune. Driving on the highway I had a chance to have some fun.

Basically I passed four cars on four separate moves who were ahead of me. They were doing about 65 mph. And here's one of the fantastic things about this tune...

I made my moves all at part throttle
, maybe at about 60% throttle or so. No WOT throttle drama, just a nice easy press. I quickly went from 2,000 or so rpm to 4,000 rpm and then backed off. Each time passing cars effortlessly. Each time hitting 95 mph so easily, so quickly that even after over a year and a half being tuned, I still smiled.

The crazy thing is, as good and quick as that midrange power is, more throttle and higher rpm's takes it to another level of fast. But, honestly I only go WOT once in a while.

Derek truly nailed this tune and no tuned non-Si turbo owner should pass up buying this. You won't regret it.

Last edited:

CivicOops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Hi All,

New to the forum and purchased my first Honda at 56 years old. Anyway, how many of you are running these tunes in the hot climates down south? I saw a comment that an aftermarket intercooler is highly recommended which really jacks up the cost for fun :)

Thanks for your input!
I live in North Texas talking about 95 degree daily temperatures. For a pull or two it's fine but if you are gonna be racing an intercooler is definitely necessary.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As much as this tune is more refined than my aggressive Ktuner setup, I still miss the quicker throttle response the KTuner 21 had around town. With the TSP tune, I still find myself giving it small throttle inputs and expecting more to happen. The power is there, it just takes a deeper stab of the throttle to get there.

Today on an access road leading to a highway merge I gave the pedal a medium jab and expected more pep. A quick glance at the tach and I realized I was only at 3000 rpm. Another deeper press and at 3500 rpm the car woke up and started to snarl and the tires were chirp chirp chirping.

It's a great tune overall. If the throttle was a bit more responsive, it would be the perfect tune, I think.

SilverArrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5 T. Sport
Country flag
As much as this tune is more refined than my aggressive Ktuner setup, I still miss the quicker throttle response the KTuner 21 had around town.

You speak about ktuner stage 2 or starter 21 psi with custom throttle response?

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
As much as this tune is more refined than my aggressive Ktuner setup, I still miss the quicker throttle response the KTuner 21 had around town. With the TSP tune, I still find myself giving it small throttle inputs and expecting more to happen. The power is there, it just takes a deeper stab of the throttle to get there.

Today on an access road leading to a highway merge I gave the pedal a medium jab and expected more pep. A quick glance at the tach and I realized I was only at 3000 rpm. Another deeper press and at 3500 rpm the car woke up and started to snarl and the tires were chirp chirp chirping.

It's a great tune overall. If the throttle was a bit more responsive, it would be the perfect tune, I think.
For me it's nearly perfect, you get what you want with your foot and it's satisfying when you get deeper on it and you get even more juice. If the throttle response is too agresive you get too much juice at first, it's less controllable and feel like you don't have much more to squeeze. MT here.

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
[QUOTE = "gtman, post: 685954, membro: 790"] Per quanto questa melodia sia più raffinata della mia aggressiva configurazione di Ktuner, mi manca ancora la risposta dell'acceleratore più veloce che il KTuner 21 ha avuto in città. Con la melodia TSP, mi trovo ancora a dargli piccoli input per l'acceleratore e mi aspetto che succeda di più. Il potere è lì, basta un colpo più profondo dell'acceleratore per arrivarci.

Oggi su una strada di accesso che conduce a un raccordo autostradale ho dato al pedale un colpo medio e mi aspettavo più pep. Un rapido sguardo al tachimetro e mi sono reso conto che ero solo a 3000 rpm. Un'altra pressa più profonda e a 3500 giri / min l'auto si svegliò e iniziò a ringhiare e le gomme cinguettarono cinguettando.

Nel complesso è un'ottima melodia. Se l'acceleratore fosse un po 'più reattivo, sarebbe la melodia perfetta, credo. [/ QUOTE]
Ho la sensazione opposta, è molto più reattivo, forse è perché hai la cvt.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You are 100% correct, kytos. Your right foot definitely can control the action. I love this tune. It's just that I drove with the aggressive part throttle and early spool settings of the KTuner 21 tune for so long, I sometimes forget this tune is set up a bit differently. Muscle memory, I guess.:cool:

D-Rob has created what I like to call a "semi-custom" tune and for it to only cost $80 is incredible.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
I have the opposite feeling, it's much more responsive, maybe it's because you have the cvt.
Because he had quick enables for responsiveness and the cvt tune is softer there to save the CVT. On MT the torque peak at near 3000 is softer but feels more responsive and I can feel more power with less boost.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Because he had quick enables for responsiveness and the cvt tune is softer there to save the CVT. On MT the torque peak at near 3000 is softer but feels more responsive and I can feel more power with less boost.
Correct.

My KTuner tune had early spool and the most aggressive part throttle turbo response settings. That tune felt great in the city but when I opened it up on the highway, high rpm power felt a bit lacking.

The TSP tune has a much more balanced feel and the top end is fantastic.

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
the TSP has malice, at every regime and lengthens more and more

you lack the sensation of fat that has the basic map in aggressive

the tsp starts like a rocket up to the limiter
Sponsored