Haggling Price Online Experience

logan

New Civic Blood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda CIVIC EX-T
I emailed a bunch of Honda dealership and now they are all responding. How do I pend them against each other so that they start to try and compete.
Do I just mention to them that I was offered a better deal? They may ask for proof, so then would I forward the email to them that I got from the offer?

Some things I've noticed and would like to hear if anyones had this situation too,

One thing that I see that they put into place is that the emails expire within 1-2days, which make it harder to haggle because I am sure the dealership will use this as leverage to say they don't need to compete with that price since it will be over soon. I can definitely see them doing something like that.

Also I noticed that they continuously start new emails and only talk about the price of the car as if to try and avoid having the name and price be on the same email chat log. My assumption they are doing this is so that they could offer a ridiculous price to get me to come to the dealership and then claim that I am trying to connect two emails that don't apply to each other and then waste my time. Has anyone experience that?
Sponsored

CupOnoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Pilot
I did that for almost a month. I started by telling them a price I found on this forum. Most of the time the dealers will say no and offer their price than use that price on the next dealer. In the end, I used an invoice that I got from this forum as proof for the dealer to price matched and it worked.

Another thing I did was got the phone number of the sales person and text him or her the latest price offer i got.

I ended up getting a touring for $25,800 Out the door with high wall all season and trunk tray included.

radiosmithy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i
I did that for almost a month. I started by telling them a price I found on this forum. Most of the time the dealers will say no and offer their price than use that price on the next dealer. In the end, I used an invoice that I got from this forum as proof for the dealer to price matched and it worked.

Another thing I did was got the phone number of the sales person and text him or her the latest price offer i got.

I ended up getting a touring for $25,800 Out the door with high wall all season and trunk tray included.
Does the $25,800 include tax?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None YET!
Country flag
Can u please share that quote with me. I appreciate your help
Did he/she ever upload the receipt? I'm going through a NIGHTMARE with Aaron @ Priority Honda in Chesapeake, VA right now. Stereotypical fast talk new yorker who cant remember my name right, quotes a different number every time we talk, and is basically unhelpful on purpose?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've had nothing but misery dealing with Honda dealers online. They all have been horrible in my experience.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None YET!
Country flag
Yeah, it didnt go so well in person either. Hopefully CupONoodle can upload that receipt. 28k+ out the door is ridiculous!

busyizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
I did the same - emailed a bunch of dealerships. I tell them I got a better deal and could they match it. If they ask for proof, I forward the email I was sent. They will either decline to match/beat it, or they will offer a price. I refused to go into the dealership until I knew the exact OTD price I was dealing with. Some dealerships tried to pull the "you must come in for us to offer you a great price - that's your leverage!" I told them if they wouldn't give me an OTD price, I was not interested.

I paid no attention to the supposed "expiration date" of the email. I think the point of that is so you don't bring in a 3 month old offer and try to use that. It took me about a week of emailing dealerships back and forth before I settled on a price and dealership - as long as I kept emailing them and showed interest, no one ever told me, "Actually, that deal expire 3 days ago." If they had, I would drop them because they clearly don't respect me as a buyer so why should I think about giving them my business. No one commented that any deal should be "expired" when I forwarded the emails with the price quote either.

I haven't had any issues with salesmen started new emails only talking about the price of the car to avoid being on the same email chat log.

I got the Civic Touring for 23,721 (26.2k OTD because Bay Area has ridiculous taxes that make me cry). I actually got this deal because someone else posted their price here from Bay Area, and I got the same deal as them at the same dealership (the initial price given via email quote was much higher), so paying it forward!

Attached is receipt.

Hope it helps! Good luck!

edit: Uploaded pics, hopefully it works now.

Honda Civic 10th gen Haggling Price Online Experience civic
Honda Civic 10th gen Haggling Price Online Experience IMG_7063.JPG

Last edited:

Ma_deuce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500, 2002 ZX2, 2017 Si Coupe
I've had nothing but misery dealing with Honda dealers online. They all have been horrible in my experience.
Something that seems to be pretty common is people wanting to purchase a car at a loss to the dealer AND expect them to bend over backwards to do it...

If you find a dealer willing to price as low as BusyIzzy got, jump on it. Expecting every dealership to jump at the chance to take a loss on a car isn't very realistic though.
Sponsored