Had a dirty shift panel and decided to wipe it...

ssssssbob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Coupe
Country flag
and BAM, micro scratches all over the plastic cover with the shift letters...anyone know how to fix this and possibly prevent it from happening again? =S
Sponsored

Ant918

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Exact same thing happened to me, had a little bit of dust on it and wiped it with little cloth I used to clean my sunglasses, marred the hell out of the entire thing.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Best of luck, mine had micro scratches the first time I used a microfiber to clean it off. Once it happens, its done for, I dunno if there is a way to take the scratches back out...

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Happens in almost all Honda cars that use that plastic. Sucks.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine to. Im not even going to bother replacing it because as soon as you accidentally rub against that it's all over.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Microfiber and a polishing compound would work, but it's not going to stop it from happening.

You have one fix, but several choices. It needs to be covered. You can clear coat it, wrap it in vinyl, or plastidip it. Just cheap plastic, no way around it.

OP
OP

ssssssbob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Coupe
Country flag
Microfiber and a polishing compound would work, but it's not going to stop it from happening.

You have one fix, but several choices. It needs to be covered. You can clear coat it, wrap it in vinyl, or plastidip it. Just cheap plastic, no way around it.
Yeah Im looking into fixing it that is all

fg2kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1991 Civic DX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
and BAM, micro scratches all over the plastic cover with the shift letters...anyone know how to fix this and possibly prevent it from happening again? =S
The shiny plastic in modern cars is as soft as butter! Go to your local auto store and look for some plastic polish - it'll take the scratches right out.

If you're really worried about scratching it again, spray some quick detailer (spray wax) on there and wipe it off. It acts as lubrication and prevents those pesky micro-scratches.
Sponsored