arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I've gone through an interesting learning curve in tuning using Hondata Flashpro.

I'm thankful to have friends in community willing to help and provide insight and feedback regarding my understanding on tuning parameters no matter how silly my question may sound.

One topic I find difficult to learn in Flashpro is Ignition Timing tuning area. This tuning area has become even more challenging because Hondata does not give user access to actual Ignition Timing area.

Instead, Hondata only allow users/tuners to tune ignition timing through EGR ignition (part throttle) and Knock Ignition Limit. The explanation Hondata provided in help file, YouTube video, and other resources regarding Civic X 1.5T ignition timing is not clear.

I tried Knock Ignition Limit tuning once and the result was great in terms of knock control and knock count as well as power but I need to revert knock ignition limit tuning back to stock because I heard mild pinging sound from my engine and knock control raised during partial throttle.

I would like to explore how I should start tuning Ignition through Knock Ignition Limit and EGR ignition.

I hope friends from Civic X forum are willing to share knowledge regarding Ignition Timing tuning for Civic 1.5T using Hondata Flashpro.

Tips/guideline of basic how-to is highly appreciated.
Sponsored

gcapraz

First Name
Gökhan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport plus
Country flag
I've gone through an interesting learning curve in tuning using Hondata Flashpro.

I'm thankful to have friends in community willing to help and provide insight and feedback regarding my understanding on tuning parameters no matter how silly my question may sound.

One topic I find difficult to learn in Flashpro is Ignition Timing tuning area. This tuning area has become even more challenging because Hondata does not give user access to actual Ignition Timing area.

Instead, Hondata only allow users/tuners to tune ignition timing through EGR ignition (part throttle) and Knock Ignition Limit. The explanation Hondata provided in help file, YouTube video, and other resources regarding Civic X 1.5T ignition timing is not clear.

I tried Knock Ignition Limit tuning once and the result was great in terms of knock control and knock count as well as power but I need to revert knock ignition limit tuning back to stock because I heard mild pinging sound from my engine and knock control raised during partial throttle.

I would like to explore how I should start tuning Ignition through Knock Ignition Limit and EGR ignition.

I hope friends from Civic X forum are willing to share knowledge regarding Ignition Timing tuning for Civic 1.5T using Hondata Flashpro.

First of all, tuning car is all about how you car goes safely and pls drive safely area or closed motorway.

For egr ignition, pls leave it stock. You dont need to change it.

For ignition, civicx hasnt got traditional ignition table. Its has got ignition limit table. it gets the value from that table and gets some information from engine sensors and makes some calculation. in the result it works with calculated ignition value. So there is no place that you can change ignition easily. Its good thing. Because there is some protection of your engine. its not going to damage easily.

Let me explain with my experience, how to work ignition in civicx.

Intake temp-fuel quality-turbo boost pressure. All effects ignition.

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1.5T, 15' Audi A3 1.8T, Toyota Hilux Revo 2017
Country flag

i m on tsp stage 1 map so i always monitor Kcon, IATs and ECT but usually i drive on eco ON where the boost is lil less so wont stress on cvt gearbox. i know couple of friends running TSP stage 1 ktuner from last 18 months with no issues n we use same shell vpower fuel to maintain Kcon around 54%, only it goes up when i do full WOT or drag races it will goes upto 70-74% but it goes back to less than 60% after normal drive. I have never heard mild pinging sound since 2018 when the fuel was bad and my car was complete stock, since flashpro its running good but only downside is fuel average gone worse.

gcapraz

First Name
Gökhan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport plus
Country flag
i m on tsp stage 1 map so i always monitor Kcon, IATs and ECT but usually i drive on eco ON where the boost is lil less so wont stress on cvt gearbox. i know couple of friends running TSP stage 1 ktuner from last 18 months with no issues n we use same shell vpower fuel to maintain Kcon around 54%, only it goes up when i do full WOT or drag races it will goes upto 70-74% but it goes back to less than 60% after normal drive. I have never heard mild pinging sound since 2018 when the fuel was bad and my car was complete stock, since flashpro its running good but only downside is fuel average gone worse.
in wot run your kcontrol doe not move over 80 it goes good. For tsp stage1 is working good with your car. its happy with it.

with normal driving kcontrol should be around 54. its normal driving.

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Let me explain my way step by step

1) select(highlight) in 200 airc between 3000-7000 and add 1.
2) select (highlight) between 100-200 airc and select between 3000-7000 rpm and click it horizontal interpolate
3) select (highlight) between 200-240 airc and select between 3000-7000 rpm and click it horizontal interpolate
4) horizontal interpolate is located somewhere in file, edit sections

Load the file to the car and make a run 60-250 or 100-200km. Check your time and add 1 more ignition with the same way check it your run time again in same road. If it decrease your time which means it works.
Hi @gcapraz,

I follow up your tips and provide update in this thread to keep the other one clean and focus on torque limiter.

I made changes to the Knock Ignition Limit table following your guidance and record a datalog.

The result was pretty promising as my highest Knock Control was 71% and the knock count was only 2 after 41 minutes of driving.

Attached is the datalog for your review.

I need to drive further and longer to make sure I can add timing again.
TSP Stage 1 didn't touch Knock Ignition Limit area in Hondata Flashpro. I'm not sure the KTuner version though but no change in EGR Ignition and Knock Ignition Limit for Hondata Flashpro tune. I never heard mild pinging either before I play around with Knock Ignition Limit.

I no longer use TSP Stage 1. My car is custom tuned by Steve from E-Tunez and I made slight adjustment to Knock Ignition Limit in area where I feel there is room to add slight ignition advance. I only used TSP Stage 1 for less than 3 months before I switched to my own tune , and now custom tuned by E-Tunez with my own customization.

Attachments

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry for taking a bit long to update on the progress of ignition timing tuning.

I advance ignition timing between 0.5 and 4.8 in Knock Ignition Limit Low table. I did a few datalog run and the knock count was 1 in 30 minutes drive in average.

This is the comparison of my Knock Ignition Limit Low table vs. Hondata Flashpro basemap.
Honda Civic 10th gen Guidance/ Tips on Ignition Timing Tuning in Hondata Flashpro for Civic 1.5T Ignition-Update

Cells highlighted in red means the timing was advanced vs. basemap.
Sponsored