Guess the stock clutch is slipping!

reesee175

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
I was driving to work just now and decided to do a little pull from 4th to 5th and as I go to shift ofcourse the rpm's shot up. Only have 4250 miles on the car. This bu far has to worst clutch I have ever seen.
Sponsored

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Bummer man. Just hit 7k miles on mine with the Phearable tune (map 1 / 19.5psi). Did a hard pull to 130 in 4th and 5th the other night with zero slip. Been driving manuals for 20 years so I guess you could say I've got a little bit of practice ;) On the bright side, the aftermarket on these cars is awesome so you shouldn't have any problem upgrading the stock clutch to something more beefy.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Crazy how yall are slipping clutches.
Im on 27won turbo, fbo flex, custom drob tune and Im still on stock clutch.
I drive a 17 sport hatch with 62k miles

Only been driving driving manuals since 2011

OP
OP
reesee175

reesee175

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
By the way I don't boost in 5th gear, I was getting on 95N in 4th gear. I don't even go over 80mph in my car. Too much damn traffic to even speed here in Va.

OP
OP
reesee175

reesee175

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
Also, I all ready the type r retrofit. Just waiting till after the winter. Not going to any track events until next year.

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
In “hypothetical” high speed speed situations I’ve used boost in 5th gear, and significant boost too. If rpms are high enough you are fine to use boost in any gear. This is what you would do on a long straight on a track. At a high rate of speed you are no longer at a mechanical disadvantage in overdrive gears, it is perfectly safe for the car. Base how much boost to use on rpm not gear. Your clutch slipped with gas floored at the top of 4th? My clutch slipped a bit in 4th when new and I wasn’t even driving the car hard. I babied it and “re-broke” it in a few times. It is fine with 60k miles and tuned.

AdamSI

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Country flag
you say when you shifted the revs shot up? could it be rev hang instead of the clutch slipping? MAP stage 1, Tsp, and phearable and ive had no slip. i only use 2nd and 3rd gear to go wot

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
you say when you shifted the revs shot up? could it be rev hang instead of the clutch slipping? MAP stage 1, Tsp, and phearable and ive had no slip. i only use 2nd and 3rd gear to go wot
I was thinking the same thing. The OP's on the 19.5 map and clutch slip would be pretty rare there.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm about to cross 25K on the Ktuner Base/TSP maps. Not a single slip at any PSI.

I think the stock clutch is fine but requires some TLC at lower RPMs.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Is it really? Like you can't go wide open throttle in fifth? My clutch been slipping in fourth gear at wot for the first time last week.
Ideally you want to WOT passed 3.5k-4K rpm. You can boost in 5th but probably after said rpm. A lot of people get into high boost in low rpm on the highway in 5th and 6th gear and don’t realize it instead of downshifting to pass or get back up to speed if someone’s brakes hard in front of them. Best thing to do is use boost by gear and set a limit to 10psi or something like that in 5th and 6th with a ramp up so you’re not in full boost until after 4K rpm.

Streetspec604

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si, 2021 Porsche GT3
Country flag
Ideally you want to WOT passed 3.5k-4K rpm. You can boost in 5th but probably after said rpm. A lot of people get into high boost in low rpm on the highway in 5th and 6th gear and don’t realize it instead of downshifting to pass or get back up to speed if someone’s brakes hard in front of them. Best thing to do is use boost by gear and set a limit to 10psi or something like that in 5th and 6th with a ramp up so you’re not in full boost until after 4K rpm.
Thanks for replying! Question, would I set boost by gear limit to 10psi to all gears OT just 5th & 6th? I'm running ktuner base map 21/23psi but I want to get tsp stage one really soon.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Thanks for replying! Question, would I set boost by gear limit to 10psi to all gears OT just 5th & 6th? I'm running ktuner base map 21/23psi but I want to get tsp stage one really soon.
I would just do 5th and 6th for now for sure and add ramp up on 4th. Have you been flooring it around 3-3.5k rpm before?
Sponsored