Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Better than stock. Stock+. That's how I've always modded my cars. Nothing drastic. Nothing over the top, just a bit better and more competent for my commuting wars and maybe some backroad fun here and there.

From the factory, I bought a 2017 Civic EX-L in Cosmic Blue. It's got a CVT and while not my top choice for a transmission, it's not too bad overall. Dealer installed options were splash guards and wheel locks.

What mods changes have I done or will I be doing?

I started with the basics. Added an OEM cargo tray and made a custom trunk organizer. Bought Lloyd Ultimats as a replacement for the thin stock mats. Bought and installed the OEM side moldings to protect it on parking lots. I have some engine bay side panel covers on order and added carbon fiber bumper guards.

I have a bit of a carbon fiber theme going. There are some carbon fiber interior trim pieces and there's some carbon vinyl wrap on my B and C pillars and soon the rear diffuser. I also added OEM sport pedals and a stainless steel footrest; stainless steel door sills too.

On the performance front, I bought a PRL silicone intake hose and an aFe Pro Dry S air filter. That made a small change in throttle response. The big improvement came when I added the +6 Hondata Flashpro tune. That makes the car so much more fun.

As far and handing, my first change was adding an Ultra Racing front strut bar. I bought an OEM Si rear sway bar to upgrade the handling over stock. And I recently purchased Nokian Zline ultra high performance all seasons as an upgrade over the stock Firestones.

So I guess you could say my car is "stock +" or maybe stealthy. It's still basically similar to factory but drives and looks better.

Honda Civic 10th gen gtman's "stock+" build IMG_2087.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen gtman's "stock+" build wheel1
Honda Civic 10th gen gtman's "stock+" build 1IMG_1964.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen gtman's "stock+" build IMG_20171013_151901 (1)

Honda Civic 10th gen gtman's "stock+" build IMG_1840

Honda Civic 10th gen gtman's "stock+" build Untitled 1~2

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Two things I wish I had on my car but can't find are a good looking larger lip spoiler and some nice exhaust tips. The existing options leave something to be desired.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Did the strut bar made a noticeable difference?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Actually it did but you have to know what to expect. It doesn't touch body roll. It doesn't instantly turn the car into a corner carver. What it does do is tighten up the front end. It's really noticeable in quick lane change maneuvers. It feels much more stable. No more weeble wobble.

Add the Si or CTR rear sway bar and better tires and it feels like a different car.

Last edited:

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
You have a tail lip in one shot, but not another, it also looks like you have an extended brake light? What's going on there? Got a shot of her caboose?

I'm interested in that lip spoiler as I haven't really liked any of the other available options...

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep.

Got a Ktuner for a bump in power, rev hang elimination and much better throttle response.

Got one of PRLs green filters. Reusable to pay for itself in a couple years. Small, quantified bump in power. I've never had a problem with oiled filters in my ~20 years of using them... but I do have MAF cleaner I spray when I pull the filter for a cleaning annually.

I'll probably add some tint one of these days. I had it on my 9th. A couple hour road trip here in the south gives me some extra sun on my left arm. Its also *stupid hot in an untinted car left to bake in the summer. I don't really care about the aethetics.

I opted for the summer tires when I bought it... with the Sis suspension as it is stock, I can't (don't) drive it on the street in a manner approaching it's limits so I have no intention of changing it at this time.

I've never been one of aestetic mods, so they're just not for me.

Your car looks great and sounds like you're making it what you want. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Your car looks great and sounds like you're making it what you want. :thumbsup:
Thanks. Everybody's got a different idea of what they want for a car. If I had a bigger budget, lighter wheels might be part of the plan or coilovers. But realistically, for where I live and how I drive my car is really shaping up nicely.

The 10th gen Civic is a great platform to start with and only needs a few tweaks here and there. All the rest is just personal preference.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a nice pic of my car after I detailed it:

Honda Civic 10th gen gtman's "stock+" build 20180413_110852_hdr-

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just did the Honda Hack and added the Hondata app. It's so cool to see it on the screen like that. :cool:

Honda Civic 10th gen gtman's "stock+" build hondata1

Honda Civic 10th gen gtman's "stock+" build hondata2

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
I'll probably add some tint one of these days. I had it on my 9th. A couple hour road trip here in the south gives me some extra sun on my left arm. Its also *stupid hot in an untinted car left to bake in the summer. I don't really care about the aethetics.
I tint my cars because 9/10ths UV protection and 1/10th looks. I usually choose a lighter tint too to avoid catching the 5 oh's attention.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Finally found exhaust tips that looks like they came with the car. Still a little tucked in but at least you see some shininess. :)

Honda Civic 10th gen gtman's "stock+" build tip1

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Finally found exhaust tips that looks like they came with the car. Still a little tucked in but at least you see some shininess. :)

tip1.jpg
Link to this? Mine is starting to rust. I wanna replace mine.
Sponsored