Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Just a quick update with two observations.

After initially seeing noticeably higher mpgs on my first couple drives, I've been averaging about the same mileage as TSP the past week. I attribute the higher initial mileage to the warmer days I was testing the tune.

Knock control numbers. This is the only area where I was happier with TSP. I'm guessing Phearable must run a bit more timing because k.c. consistently fluctuates more.

I fill up at the same station with Sunoco 93. With TSP, I always saw a rock steady .49 while cruising. Occasionally, it might inch up to .51 or .52 going up a long, steep hill or something. When I went WOT of course it would elevate, maybe spiking in the high 5's and going higher after multiple WOT pulls.

Here's what I see on the same gas with Phearable. While cruising, I'm seeing .49 -.52 mostly. On hills, I'll see it climb to .55 -.56 or so (I live in a hilly area). After one WOT pull, it climbs to the low to mid .6 range and with multiple pulls, higher.

I still love the feel of the tune (and recommend it). My knock control results compared to TSP suggest that while 93 octane is "OK", adding a gallon of E85 would be helpful. Unfortunately, my area doesn't have it for sale.
Sponsored

Last edited:

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
Any chance Phearable can make the tune available for international customers ?
We only offer custom etuning services for international ecus which do not have full time closed loop.

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I tried the phearable 1.5 tune for the non-si as well but wasn’t a fan of the insane knock control compared to TSP. I know I have shit fuel in SoCal and it seems the timing is more aggressive but the top end power seems to be very brief and slower compared to TSP, only because the ECU starts to pull timing very fast in my situation. It is much smoother though and the fuel trims are great.

I went back to my custom tune after 2 days because I just wanted to checkout the Phearable tune :thumbsup: Overall, it was a nice and smooth tune.

Last edited:

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
i hope KTuner comes out with the removal of artificial knock then it will be really good for non Si's.

mid .6's kcont seems to be normal for non Si's. but of course the lower the better.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I tried the phearable 1.5 tune for the non-si as well but wasn’t a fan of the insane knock control compared to TSP.
The hyper knock control is the one thing that bothers me with this tune. I'm used to consistently seeing that magic .49 number on other tunes I've run like KTuner 21 and TSP 1.

With Phearable, .49 is rare even on the top tier 93 octane I use. I'll see brief glimpses of .49 but it quickly goes to .52 to .55 while just cruising most of the time (even on Map 1 and with me being easy on throttle). I've seen it go from .49 to .59 with a single light press of the accelerator at mid rpms.

I still like the tune a lot but I'm leaning towards maybe going back to TSP and it's more steady and lower knock control numbers. I'm a little bummed.

Last edited:

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
i hope KTuner comes out with the removal of artificial knock then it will be really good for non Si's.

mid .6's kcont seems to be normal for non Si's. but of course the lower the better.
Seriously or at least the ability to modify the algorithm it uses to tone it down a notch. Would it be possible to swap to the SI ECU or no?

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
The hyper knock control is the one thing that bothers me with this tune. I'm used to consistently seeing that magic .49 number on other tunes I've run like KTuner 21 and TSP 1.

With Phearable, .49 is rare even on the top tier 93 octane I use. I'll see brief glimpses of .49 but it quickly goes to .52 to .55 most of the time (even on Map 1 and with me being easy on throttle).

I like the tune a lot but I might go back to TSP and it's more steady and lower knock control numbers.
Yeah, I didn’t have plans to really use it since I have a custom tune but I wanted to try it because something new is always cool :cool:
But yeah, I like more sustained power and a high knock control will not allow that.

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Yeah, I drive at highway speeds too mostly and have even considered a bigger turbo because the top end is a big let down on the stock turbo, even with a custom tune. I have E85 somewhat nearby (15-25 minutes nearby) but even that is a hassle to get two types of fuel and is pretty inconvenient. That’s a big reason why I haven’t got a flex fuel kit. I eventually will but not anytime soon. I love 1 gas pump for convenience.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I drive at highway speeds too mostly and have even considered a bigger turbo because the top end is a big let down on the stock turbo, even with a custom tune. I have E85 somewhat nearby (15-25 minutes nearby) but even that is a hassle to get two types of fuel and is pretty inconvenient. That’s a big reason why I haven’t got a flex fuel kit. I eventually will but not anytime soon. I love 1 gas pump for convenience.
Unfortunately, in my area E85 is rare and there's no way I'm driving 50 miles just to get it.

What sucks is I like the overall feel of this tune a bit better than TSP. It's buttery smooth with near perfect fuel trims on my car.

I've just never had a tune where knock control bounces around like it does on this Phearable tune.

• Sad
Reactions: Myx

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Unfortunately, in my area E85 is rare and there's no way I'm driving 50 miles just to get it.

What sucks is I like the overall feel of this tune a bit better than TSP. It's buttery smooth with near perfect fuel trims on my car.

I've just never had a tune where knock control bounces around like it does on Phearable.
Maybe it’s time for a custom tune. I’m sure he can pull back the timing to help with knock control. That’s what Derek had to do in my case. SoCal is known for absolute shit fuel.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe it’s time for a custom tune. I’m sure he can pull back the timing to help with knock control. That’s what Derek had to do in my case. SoCal is known for absolute shit fuel.
Custom is something to think about for sure. I've always run ots tunes before (no bolt ons for me) and that Sunoco 93 has been good enough until now.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Went out today for the first time since the 3 day snow event we had here. I gotta say, I forgot how great these 10th gens handle. Even with the stock tires and just an Si rear sway and DC front strut bar, the car feel so solid. Can't wait 'til spring to finally add my 18's, DWS06 tires, Type R subframe brace and UR rear lower bar.

As far as the Phearable 1.5 tune and it's slightly higher than TSP knock control numbers, it's top notch and unbelievably smooth. For now, I think it's a keeper although I wish I saw .49 more often. :cool:

Crowe

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Went out today for the first time since the 3 day snow event we had here. I gotta say, I forgot how great these 10th gens handle. Even with the stock tires and just an Si rear sway and DC front strut bar, the car feel so solid. Can't wait 'til spring to finally add my 18's, DWS06 tires, Type R subframe brace and UR rear lower bar.

As far as the Phearable 1.5 tune and it's slightly higher than TSP knock control numbers, it's top notch and unbelievably smooth. For now, I think it's a keeper although I wish I saw .49 more often. :cool:
Oh boy, yeah those DWS06's grip way better than the stock all seasons that came w/ my Si. It was night and day.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Actually, KC at .6 will only remove like 0.5 - 1ignition in the midrange and 0 above 5300rpm so performance wise it's pretty much the same as .5
On the other hand, cruising at .53 or so may mean they have tuned part throttle ignition as well to improve gas mileage (along with the driveability)
Just guessing here ...

ModernSteelMetallix

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MSM Civic Si (2018)
Country flag

I just added 0.75 gallon of ethanol to my tank phearable 1.5 tuned si. I would try 0.5 to see if that helps you. Reminder tho you can’t add 0.5 every time you fill up. Your mixture will eventually creep in content and probably cause an issue. So I only plan on doing this when I have lower fuel amount for refills. But it really worked even on map 3
Sponsored