Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks John.

Here's an example of what I mean by softer throttle response. There's a left hand turn that leads directly to a big hill on a road near my house. I like to give it a blip of throttle going up the hill for fun.

Making the turn into the hilly road, I'm usually doing 15 mph when I give it a little nudge of the go pedal. Maybe 20-25% throttle. With an aggressive KTuner 21, it gave me an instant push of power. Lots of fun. I was near 40 mph in an instant.

When I switched to TSP, the same small blip of throttle didn't get me to the same rpm and I'd only see maybe 35 mph. I learned to just push the throttle harder for the same results.

Fast forward to this afternoon with the Phearable tune. I gave the throttle the same nudge as I do with TSP, but I only got to 33 mph. It isn't that Phearable has less power, it's just that throttle sensitivity is a tad lower.

It's a fantastic tune, but I really want to see KTuner release that locked tune throttle response quick adjustment.

Like you said though, I might need to go custom. For now, I just need to get more used to the throttle feel. :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
Thanks John.

Here's an example of what I mean by soft throttle response down low. There's a left hand turn that leads directly to a big hill on a road near my house. I like to give it a blip of throttle going up the hill for fun.

Making the turn into the hilly road, I'm usually doing 15 mph when I give it a little nudge of the go pedal. Maybe 20-25% throttle. With an aggressive KTuner 21, it gave me an instant push of power. Lots of fun. I was near 40 mph in an instant.

When I switched to TSP, the same small blip of throttle didn't get me to the same rpm and I'd only see maybe 35 mph. I learned to just push the throttle harder for the same results.

Fast forward to this afternoon with the Phearable tune. I gave the throttle the same nudge as I do with TSP, but I only got to 33 mph. It isn't that Phearable has less power, it's just that throttle sensitivity is lower than any tune I've used other than my original Hondata +6.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great tune, but I really want to see KTuner release that locked tune throttle response quick adjustment.

But like you said, I might need to go custom. For now though, I just need to get more used to the less sensitive throttle. :)
The tune is specifically dialed in the way it is for several reasons.
I will not release a modified version of an off the shelf tune just because some one likes to put stress on their cvt and stock L15 rods at lower rpms.
If some one wants to push the limits they can buy a custom etune tune and specifically request that.

I drove our test cvt car A LOT.
I personally don't feel the "slower throttle response" you are referring to.

With the final version of our stage 1.5 tune it was so much power that the tires were attempting to spin when you first punched the throttle. The tires also tried breaking loose when you hit the throttle in a low speed corner. This is USABLE low end power without putting any components under unnecessary stress.

If you drive a car with our tune vs the other off the shelf offerings you will choose our tune.
It's makes better power and drives better then the other offerings. :thumbsup:

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
gtman, thanks for all the work you've put into this forum, including the tuned thread. Greatly appreciated.

John Vega, thank you for an amazing tune and the responsiveness you've shown on this forum. The fact that you pay attention to those using your product and are tweaking and creating shows a great respect for us, the customer.

I too get great gas mileage with the Phearable 1.5 SI tune. I can get 40+MPG on my normal commute, mix in some grocery getting and I average 37+ MPG per tank on MAP 1. That blows Honda MPG ratings out of the water.... Cheers for a great product, and gtman, cheers for putting in the energy and effort!

Scott

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The tune is specifically dialed in the way it is for several reasons.
I will not release a modified version of an off the shelf tune just because some one likes to put stress on their cvt and stock L15 rods at lower rpms.
If some one wants to push the limits they can buy a custom etune tune and specifically request that.

I drove our test cvt car A LOT.
I personally don't feel the "slower throttle response" you are referring to.

With the final version of our stage 1.5 tune it was so much power that the tires were attempting to spin when you first punched the throttle. The tires also tried breaking loose when you hit the throttle in a low speed corner. This is USABLE low end power without putting any components under unnecessary stress.
I totally understand and I mentioned in an earlier post that you were smart to set it up this way.

It's just a matter of me being used to running the same tune for a year and a half and now switching to yours. I absolutely love your tune.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
gtman, thanks for all the work you've put into this forum, including the tuned thread. Greatly appreciated.

John Vega, thank you for an amazing tune and the responsiveness you've shown on this forum. The fact that you pay attention to those using your product and are tweaking and creating shows a great respect for us, the customer.

I too get great gas mileage with the Phearable 1.5 SI tune. I can get 40+MPG on my normal commute, mix in some grocery getting and I average 37+ MPG per tank on MAP 1. That blows Honda MPG ratings out of the water.... Cheers for a great product, and gtman, cheers for putting in the energy and effort!

Scott
Thanks for the props. As far as John Vega, I couldn't agree more with what you said. I know we all appreciate his presence here.

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
I totally understand and I mentioned in an earlier post that you were smart to set it up this way.

It's just a matter of me running the same tune for a year and a half and now switching to yours. I absolutely love your tune and feel like, on balance, it's even better than TSP.
I am happy to hear that. I am also happy to hear about you fuel economy increasing.
You can now save money and be faster :cool:

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag

I too get great gas mileage with the Phearable 1.5 SI tune. I can get 40+MPG on my normal commute, mix in some grocery getting and I average 37+ MPG per tank on MAP 1. That blows Honda MPG ratings out of the water.... Cheers for a greatuct, and gtman, cheers for putting in the energy and effort!

Scott
I'm getting about 28mpg on the Phearable tune, using Map 1 almost exclusively. I don't race up to stoplights and do constant pulls, almost never WOT. Seriously, maybe once per drive I might gun it for a short time. Can't figure out why my mileage is so low.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting about 28mpg on the Phearable tune, using Map 1 almost exclusively. I don't race up to stoplights and do constant pulls, almost never WOT. Seriously, maybe once per drive I might gun it for a short time. Can't figure out why my mileage is so low.
Like they say, ymmv. I think a lot of it is simply location. My commute is 60/40 highway/city. If I just drive "normally" I might see 36-38 mpg regularly. Even higher in warm weather. But, if I do a pull (not even WOT) here and there on the same loop or hit traffic lights in the city, it will often drop below 30.

Do you happen to do a lot of city driving?

Last edited:

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My goal is to have an ordinary daily driver with good lowend torque. Also my goal is to kick arse throughout the whole 1/4 mile on Map 3. Good 60ft time, scary midrange and as good of a topend as you are going to get out of a stock turbo. I can beat a stock Type R now. I want a tune to be able to embarrass one from point A to point B, not just beat (Not from a roll. Don't be silly.. o_O) . The lowend and midrange will be key. Totally understand the drawback of the CVT belt and potential consequences of a TOO aggressive tune on the lowend. I want to be just beneath too aggressive or straddling that line. Not as soft as the masses but somewhere beneath the theoretical *oh shi* line, even crossing over a little. I am ok with that.

If I have to get a new CVT, I'll get a used one. So be it!

I hope that's not too much to ask @phearable :drive:?
Hahaha, I hear you for sure. If you just run that past him when he gets your initial goals he'll give you his feedback. Could be totally accomplishable but I would reach out to him @phearable. He's responsive too, he answers my questions and I can get annoying, lol. Hence why I say he has always put up with me, haha.

chrono111

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX
Country flag
I'm definitely addicted to this tune. Initially started using map 1 but moved to map 2 but to be honestly map 3 is fantastic. Highway driving, power everywhere. So smooth and even with a heavy foot I appreciate efficiency on the hwy. Just so well done, really love driving my car now.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Part 3

I went out and really put this tune through it's paces today. Mostly in Map 2. Standing start acceleration, high speed WOT, passing maneuvers, triple digit speed, you name it.

First off, let me address my "soft throttle" comments from earlier to clear things up. I was describing the different feel of an aggressive KTuner 21 to the feel of TSP or Phearable. And yes, they do all feel different. But the reality is, the more linear Phearable and TSP set up is better. Not only for longevity, for driveability too. With an aggressive base KTuner, it feels lively as hell down low but the top end really flops. In daily driving, the Phearable setup blows it out of the water.

Comparing Phearable to TSP (after giving the Phearable tune more seat time), here are my conclusions...

The TSP tune is very polished and mostly smooth and much better than a base KTuner Starter tune, no doubt. I recommend it highly as a big step up from the base tunes.

The Phearable 1.5 tune is outstanding. I honestly like it more than the TSP tune which surprised me because I loved my TSP tune. No matter what rpm or throttle position, I experienced zero lag, zero hesitation and zero jerkiness with Phearable. It was nothing but a smooth and powerful experience. This the best off the shelf tune IMO.

So, is it worth the $40 premium over the TSP tune? Yes it is. 100%.

Last edited:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
OK guys, I went out and really put this tune through it's paces today. Standing start acceleration, high speed WOT, passing maneuvers, triple digit speed, you name it.

First off, let me address my "soft throttle" comments from earlier to clear things up. I was describing the different feel of an aggressive KTuner 21 to the feel of TSP or Phearable. And yes it does feel different. But the reality is, the way Phearable and TSP set it up is better. Not only for longevity, for driveability too. With a base KTuner, sure it feels lively as hell down low but the top end flops. In daily driving the Phearable setup blows it out of the water.

As far as Phearable versus TSP, after giving the Phearable tune more seat time, here are my conclusions...

The TSP tune is much better than a base KTuner Starter, no doubt. It's polished and smooth for the most part and I can recommend it highly.

As far as the Phearable 1.5, after driving it today, I can say without question, I like it better than the TSP tune. No matter what rpm or throttle position, I experienced zero lag, zero hesitation and zero jerkiness. It was nothing but a smooth and powerful experience.

This is the best off the shelf tune IMHO.
Thanks for all your research Mitch. I'm sure it's exhausting racing around town :)

I'm so close to a custom tune it makes no sense to buy the Pherable tune but if I were in the market for a new OTS tune you would have convinced me to try it.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Part 3

I went out and really put this tune through it's paces today. Mostly in Map 2. Standing start acceleration, high speed WOT, passing maneuvers, triple digit speed, you name it.

First off, let me address my "soft throttle" comments from earlier to clear things up. I was describing the different feel of an aggressive KTuner 21 to the feel of TSP or Phearable. And yes, they do all feel different. But the reality is, the more linear Phearable and TSP set up is better. Not only for longevity, for driveability too. With an aggressive base KTuner, it feels lively as hell down low but the top end really flops. In daily driving, the Phearable setup blows it out of the water.

Comparing Phearable to TSP (after giving the Phearable tune more seat time), here are my conclusions...

The TSP tune is very polished and mostly smooth and much better than a base KTuner Starter tune, no doubt. I recommend it highly as a big step up from the base tunes.

The Phearable 1.5 tune is outstanding. I honestly like it more than the TSP tune which surprised me because I loved my TSP tune. No matter what rpm or throttle position, I experienced zero lag, zero hesitation and zero jerkiness with Phearable. It was nothing but a smooth and powerful experience. This the best off the shelf tune IMO.

So, is it worth the $40 premium over the TSP tune? Yes it is. 100%.

Told ya so!!! lol.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Told ya so!!! lol.
You sure did. I never doubted you. :)

I mean, the TSP tune is really, really good but Phearable definitely takes things up another notch.