Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OK guys, you may know me as the guy with the most posts here at CivicX. Or the guy with thousands of tuning posts. Or the developer and keeper of the community tuning survey. Well today, I played the part of human guinea pig.

For years there have been diverse posts about getting emissions tested and having a tuned car. Some say you won't pass, plain and simple if you take your car in with a tune. Some same you might pass.

Well today, I went into the Maryland emissions testing station with my car running a TSP tune. Maryland abides by the California emissions stardards. They do an OBDII test at idle. My theory was that since my only mods are a tune and stage 1 intake, no emissions should be affected at idle by the tune.

Well folks, my tuned car passed with flying colors! Basically, if you haven't altered any emissions related stuff, you should pass an OBD-II test, while tuned.

Honda Civic 10th gen gtman gets his emissions tested while running a tune - details inside IMG_20201023_111652163~2
Sponsored

Last edited:

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Nice, so if you run a stock downpipe and carb legal intake, you should be fine on emissions.

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (Stolen), 2013 Honda Accord Sport V6
Country flag
OK guys, you may know me as the guy with the most posts here at CivicX. Or the guy with thousands of tuning posts. Or the developer and keeper of the community tuning survey. Well today, I played the part of human guinea pig.

For years there have been diverse posts about getting emissions tested and having a tuned car. Some say you won't pass, plain and simple if you take your car in with a tune. Some same you might pass.

Well today, I went into the Maryland emissions testing station with my car running a TSP tune. Maryland abides by the California emissions stardards. They do an OBDII test at idle. My theory was that since my only mods are a tune and stage 1 intake, no emissions should be affected at idle by the tune.

Well folks, my tuned car passed with flying colors! Basically, if you haven't altered any emissions related stuff, you should pass an OBD-II test, while tuned.

IMG_20201023_111652163~2.jpg
Excellent news! I'm not up for smog inspection until 2022, but good to know I don't have to flash back to stock

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess i should have posted when i had mine tested back in July. I also passed with my tune.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
I guess i should have posted when i had mine tested back in July. I also passed with my tune.
@gtman , sounds like a possible "Thread of Proof, Tuned Emissions.." could be a valid prospect for those needing tuning assurance..??

theangrychef

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si
Country flag
Sweet good to know, just started running Phearable on my Si with only PRL CAI street MAF and when it comes in AWE Touring Exhaust.

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same. Passed NV (Clark County - Las Vegas) emissions with KTuner 21psi tune

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sweet good to know, just started running Phearable on my Si with only PRL CAI street MAF and when it comes in AWE Touring Exhaust.
Have you added your car to the tuning survey? I know John from Phearable has asked all users to do that.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder how a 200 or 300 cell cat would fair. I think warmed up it will pass no problem, cold might be questionable. Do they let the car warm up some minutes before the test?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder how a 200 or 300 cell cat would fair. I think warmed up it will pass no problem, cold might be questionable. Do they let the car warm up some minutes before the test?
For my test it went like this...

I drove my car for 20 minutes to the test site. Got to the testing station and waited in line, idling for about 10 minutes.

For the test, they had me first turn the car off, then they plugged in their computer to my OBD-II. Then I re-started the car. While running the OBD-II test, they opened the gas door to check that and ran a huge mirror under my car to check for alterations. The tested lasted about 5 minutes and then they gave me my results print out.

theangrychef

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si
Country flag
Have you added your car to the tuning survey? I know John from Phearable has asked all users to do that.
Not yet I was waiting for my exhaust from AWE to arrive and get it installed, that's the last engine related mod I plan on doing for a while.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
For my test it went like this...

I drove my car for 20 minutes to the test site. Got to the testing station and waited in line, idling for about 10 minutes.

For the test, they had me first turn the car off, then they plugged in their computer to my OBD-II. Then I re-started the car. While running the OBD-II test, they opened the gas door to check that and ran a huge mirror under my car to check for alterations. The tested lasted about 5 minutes and then they gave me my results print out.
Interesting. So they didnt open the hood to check the CAT?
Also wonder what kind alterations they were looking for thats related to emissions since you can't see the engine area if your skid plate is still on. The only visible part should be the mid section of the exhaust, fuel tank, and then the rear section of the exhaust and suspension components.

Asking cause I just move to MD from GA and I'll have to eventually get around to doing this.

Off topic, your profile pic looks exactly like a civic I've seen around here the few times I've visited lol, the house even look similar to area my grandmother lives in.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Probably just looking for an altered exhaust? Who knows.

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
MD for OBDII only cares about the computer readout. Most aren't looking hard at the mirror since you can't really see much with it. All they really care about is does the screen say PASS.

Example- my LS3 S14 passed MD emissions every time with dual 3" vband to single 4" catless exhaust ;)

Good to see it hasn't changed lol
Sponsored