gtman gets his emissions tested while running a tune - details inside

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Which states actually do a legit tail-pipe sniff? I know in PA as long as the tune is forcing all of the monitors to pass that otherwise might not and the visual inspection doesn't raise any major red flags, you're going to pass. I ran a race-cat on my WRX for years along w/ a tune and never had an issue passing emissions. If I ran catless, I assume that would not have been the case.
Sponsored

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Which states actually do a legit tail-pipe sniff? I know in PA as long as the tune is forcing all of the monitors to pass that otherwise might not and the visual inspection doesn't raise any major red flags, you're going to pass. I ran a race-cat on my WRX for years along w/ a tune and never had an issue passing emissions. If I ran catless, I assume that would not have been the case.
..Does anyone even use the mini cats between the 02 sensor and exhaust anymore?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
..Does anyone even use the mini cats between the 02 sensor and exhaust anymore?
On the WRX? Referring to the cat in the uppipe? If so, nope. I had mine removed. Actually forgot about that until you mentioned it. I don't think shops even know to look for those.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
On the WRX? Referring to the cat in the uppipe? If so, nope. I had mine removed. Actually forgot about that until you mentioned it. I don't think shops even know to look for those.
No.. I was talking about This:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/p0420-help-civic-si-2017.56823/post-909309

Basically it is a mini catalytic converter that goes into the bank-2's 02 sensor hole and the 02 sensor screws into that.. so even if your real catalytic converter is trash or simply removed/hollowed out, any exhaust goes thru the mini cat I linked before it even hits that 02 sensor, making the ECU think it's still good as new. Installation makes the p0420 go away since it "thinks" the original cat is just fine, allows the ECU to maintain proper AFR and function without any limp-mode BS. This is also good for ppl running catless downpipes too (ECU needs to think ya HAVE one functioning properly for emissions and proper AFR control).. I actually put one on my Sister's CR-V and reset the code, been flawless ever since.

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (Stolen), 2013 Honda Accord Sport V6
Country flag
In CA they do. They inspect the engine bay for intakes that are not CARB certified, and inspect for CAT alteration/removal. Anything CAT back is OK, not sure about muffler delete as that is more a noise nuisance. They also inspect the gases coming from the exhaust as you asked about in a previous post

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
MD for OBDII only cares about the computer readout. Most aren't looking hard at the mirror since you can't really see much with it. All they really care about is does the screen say PASS.

Example- my LS3 S14 passed MD emissions every time with dual 3" vband to single 4" catless exhaust ;)

Good to see it hasn't changed lol
I started this thread because there are countless posts on the forum that basically say "If you're tuned you will fail an emissions test". Clearly, that's NOT the case in most states not called CA.

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I started this thread because there are countless posts on the forum that basically say "If you're tuned you will fail an emissions test". Clearly, that's NOT the case in most states not called CA.
Hey, that hurts :(

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
Yup. Most states I'd wager couldn't care less as long as you get a PASS on the screen and pay your fee. Poor Cali :( lol

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yup. Most states I'd wager couldn't care less as long as you get a PASS on the screen and pay your fee. Poor Cali :( lol
I guess being the worlds 5th biggest economy means you gotta keep your air clean (notwithstanding the current fires were experiencing)! When Cali sneezes, the rest of the country catches cold, so no, I wouldn't say "poor Cali"

Last edited:

Klap1986

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OK guys, you may know me as the guy with the most posts here at CivicX. Or the guy with thousands of tuning posts. Or the developer and keeper of the community tuning survey. Well today, I played the part of human guinea pig.

For years there have been diverse posts about getting emissions tested and having a tuned car. Some say you won't pass, plain and simple if you take your car in with a tune. Some same you might pass.

Well today, I went into the Maryland emissions testing station with my car running a TSP tune. Maryland abides by the California emissions stardards. They do an OBDII test at idle. My theory was that since my only mods are a tune and stage 1 intake, no emissions should be affected at idle by the tune.

Well folks, my tuned car passed with flying colors! Basically, if you haven't altered any emissions related stuff, you should pass an OBD-II test, while tuned.

IMG_20201023_111652163~2.jpg
Can you send me a link to where and what kind of stage 1 intake that you installed?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
"Stage 1" simply means replacing the stock accordian hose and using the stock airbox with a performance drop in.

I currently use a PRL silicone hose and aFe Pro Dry S filter combo.

Last edited:

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Isn't Georgia great!?... Unless you live in the 13 county metro Atlanta area, where it's required.
Yes! I'm really gonna miss the open, smooth roads and light traffic.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes! I'm really gonna miss the open, smooth roads and light traffic.
Traffic in the Baltimore-Washington corridor is nuts and yes our roads suck. So proud.

Tuning has improved my commutes though. ;)
Sponsored