whenry97

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hey all, got my '19 Si about a month ago and have noticed a pretty loud grinding metallic noise coming from the front driver's side of the car. Was wondering if anyone has a similar sound on their car. It sounds like a wheel/brake noise, as it's constant and gets quicker with speed. The metallic grinding stops when I brake, also. EDIT: Here is a link to a video I posted of the noise, you can hear it if you listen closely.
Sponsored

Last edited:

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Hey all, got my '19 Si about a month ago and have noticed a pretty loud grinding metallic noise coming from the front driver's side of the car. Was wondering if anyone has a similar sound on their car. It sounds like a wheel/brake noise, as it's constant and gets quicker with speed. The metallic grinding stops when I brake, also.
check you brake hardware in the caliper. Probably the metallic thing is scraping the disc. you need to bend it a little outwards and can be done by flat head screwdriver

OP
OP

whenry97

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
check you brake hardware in the caliper. Probably the metallic thing is scraping the disc. you need to bend it a little outwards and can be done by flat head screwdriver
Will do, I went around and bent back the dust shield on all the wheels by hand to see if any rocks/debris fell out, but maybe I didn't bend them back far enough.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's so ironic, mine started doing it for the first time yesterday and then today. Sounds like a "shuf shuf shuf" noise once per revolution off the front driver wheel. It was loud with the window down. I chalked it up to surface rust on the rotor because it goes away when breaking also, but it took like 7 good stops to burn it off to be silent. Usually takes 2 or 3 stops on a humid or rainy day to burn off the surface rust.

26k Miles on them. How about yours?

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Will do, I went around and bent back the dust shield on all the wheels by hand to see if any rocks/debris fell out, but maybe I didn't bend them back far enough.
No I am not taking about the dust shield or black thing behind rotors I am talking about metal plate springs in calipers. They call it as brake hardware

OP
OP

whenry97

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's so ironic, mine started doing it for the first time yesterday and then today. Sounds like a "shuf shuf shuf" noise once per revolution off the front driver wheel. It was loud with the window down. I chalked it up to surface rust on the rotor because it goes away when breaking also, but it took like 7 good stops to burn it off to be silent. Usually takes 2 or 3 stops on a humid or rainy day to burn off the surface rust.

26k Miles on them. How about yours?
Glad I'm not the only one with a similar noise. My car only has 4k Miles, so I'm pretty sure I can rule out bad wheel bearing/pads/rotors. I was hoping the sound would go away after a bit but it's been happening for a couple weeks now.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
Generally there is a rock stuck between the brakes and dust shield.

Good video - yes it is an ST - but same thing applies to our cars.