T-Lo9385

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I have a 17 Si Coupe, and I notice that when I shift either down or up, I hear this weird grinding sound. Like if you put your cell in the gear box and it goes off whenever you get a notification. Anybody else rely this problem? If so, what was it?

Thank you!!
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Are you pressing the clutch in all the way? Make sure the clutch is completely depressed before moving the shift lever. Also make sure the clutch is fully depressed when selecting a gear (possibly more important). If you are depressing the clutch completely, check your clutch/brake fluid and make sure you have some. If that’s full, check master/space cylinders. If they’re fine, it may be a transmission issue.

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
does the shifter vibrate or buzz in your hand when this happens?

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Are you pressing the clutch in all the way? Make sure the clutch is completely depressed before moving the shift lever. Also make sure the clutch is fully depressed when selecting a gear (possibly more important). If you are depressing the clutch completely, check your clutch/brake fluid and make sure you have some. If that’s full, check master/space cylinders. If they’re fine, it may be a transmission issue.
I trust you made this post in good faith but if you were replying to me I'd be insulted.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I have heard what I think your referring to and mostly from first to second. Gets more pronounced with solid torque mount. I have always though it is a sound of the dual mass flywheel spinning down or something in the true lsd unit. Never been worried about it unless it gets to be a problem. Just something I noticed. Not really a grind but more like a harmonic noise.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I have heard what I think your referring to and mostly from first to second. Gets more pronounced with solid torque mount. I have always though it is a sound of the dual mass flywheel spinning down or something in the true lsd unit. Never been worried about it unless it gets to be a problem. Just something I noticed. Not really a grind but more like a harmonic noise.
Maybe there's an issue with the synchronizers - either way, I say take it to the dealer for a warranty repair

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
meh I wouldnt even consider having it looked at. the car drives perfect and it doesnt sound like a synchro noise which to me would be higher pitch and "screechier". its a bigger object, almost big dog whining for brief period type of noise that is very faint. Sounds like 2 seperate weights of the dual mass flywheel moving around like they should just my ear registers it. hard to describe but I could point it out to a rider.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
when you have a performance oriented vehicle that comes with compromises and noises are part of the cost of entry in my mind. But I have had alot of purpose built cars so I dont freak out on the little stuff...just keep monitoring it.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Next time you're into the dealer for an oil change, have them look at it. Won't cost you anything and they'll have it on record, should it get worse. Also, respectfully, I call BS on Power Per Liter's comment about compromises on a performance oriented vehicle. Previously I had a 2012 Si Coupe, then a 2015 BMW M235i. Never had compromises and noises. You should expect the same from your Si.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I trust you made this post in good faith but if you were replying to me I'd be insulted.
No need to be insulted; it sounds like he was merely trying to eliminate the obvious. His post was far from condescending; in fact it was quite informative and helpful. The OP may be a newbie; you never know.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Next time you're into the dealer for an oil change, have them look at it. Won't cost you anything and they'll have it on record, should it get worse. Also, respectfully, I call BS on Power Per Liter's comment about compromises on a performance oriented vehicle. Previously I had a 2012 Si Coupe, then a 2015 BMW M235i. Never had compromises and noises. You should expect the same from your Si.
Must be a bmw thing then my apologies for being reasonable. Its a 24k dollar honda that makes pretty rediculous power for its displacement and rediculous fuel economy too. I cant expect bmw perfection (yawn). Makes my ownership much happier though!!!! If it breaks it breaks. If warranty covers it great! If not then oh well on to the next or hand them the fun coupons to fix it.
Sponsored