Grinding on Start Up!!!CTR Rev Matching and Emissions Issues w/Check Engine light AGAIN.

CivicTypeRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E350/Soon to be Type R
Country flag
CTR Rev Matching and Emissions Issues w/Check Engine light AGAIN.
Unfortunately this will be the 3rd time with issues. The infamous light illuminated again. However, this was much different. I pushed the clutch in and pressed the start button, the car immediately sounded like the starter and flywheel weren't mating properly. A large metallic grinding sound continued until the engine turned over from about three rotations. The Rev match and Check Engine light appeared and I cut the car off. I started the car again with no issue. I'll be taking it to Honda on Monday. I'll let ya'll know what code it popped and how they are addressing the problem.***UPDATE***... Didn't get the code, however, it was a detonation issue that resolved itself. TYSBJ. And NO, I DIDN'T OVER REV IT...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Acurately

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3G Acura TL, 1G Acura MDX
Country flag
have you over-reved it recently, or at least redlined it before this startup?

OP
OP
CivicTypeRMan

CivicTypeRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E350/Soon to be Type R
Country flag
have you over-reved it recently, or at least redlined it before this startup?
No, I moved it out from my garage. It sat for a day and then I started it up and the fault happened .

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Yep, this is the starter ring disconnecting from the flywheel. Looks like it’s becoming a common issue on these cars unfortunately.

:thumbsdown:

Skate1530

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R FK8
Country flag
Will full throttle shifting lead to this?

leehom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, back at it again
Country flag
How is it possible to over rev on down shifts if rev matching is on? Or does rev match only work on shifts going up?

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
How is it possible to over rev on down shifts if rev matching is on? Or does rev match only work on shifts going up?
A money shift is all mechanical - the rev matching works by revving when you drop the shifter into a gear. Your clutch is still out though, so you're in neutral. The rev match won't over-rev, but if you drop it in to 2nd gear and you're going 80, if you let go of the clutch you will mechanically over-rev. No stopping that.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
What is the limit for over rev? Beyond the red mark right? Its really hard to over rev unless u totally forget to shft or down shift to a wrong gear, or felt asleep at wot?
Sponsored