Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 3388
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
well that was fast, here it is.

https://www.siliconeintakes.com/index.php?products_id=1063&osCsid=m3at7gdmrgb4hn9bggfpp9tu20

two of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P54QK6Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

two of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F7DQPV3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got like 10' of 5/8 heater hose from a local parts store and it was way too much. Some hose clamps, some mounting hardware and pow you'll never overheat again. maybe on a 95-100 degree day?

also a plug to block off the drain valve it has, sorry I don't remember the size but took the drain valve to Home Depot, used their thread matcher things to figure it out (pretty sure it was 1/2" NPT as well) and then just found their 1/2" plug. Again the plug size might be different but Home Depot had them.

Then you just remove the upper heater core hose (I can snap a photo if you like) and run one side to the core, and other side from the core back to the firewall spot.

To mount it I have those shitty upper ones for now but am taking the bumper off here shortly to have my brother 3d print a nice design. Then the lower mount you have to drill through your core support for and we used some nylon spacer to reduce NVH and give us a 1/2" buffer.

I can take better pictures when I remove it, was really a proof of concept and man it's been amazing.

MUCH APPRECIATED! If you could do you mind sending more pics of how your routed the hoses and their locations?
Sponsored

OP
OP
.grimace

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
MUCH APPRECIATED! If you could do you mind sending more pics of how your routed the hoses and their locations?
Sure, let me snap some photos later today.

OP
OP
.grimace

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So the radiator has them come out on the passenger side, we just routed them up around around like this.

Honda Civic 10th gen .Grimace build thread/ lap time & modification tracking IMG_8406

Added some foam padding under the metal radiator support there to make sure its not rubbing on the lines. Note to self, that vacuum line came out of the holder.

So kind of hard to snap a good photo of the firewall one but there are two lines running into the firewall. Once you remove this line:

Honda Civic 10th gen .Grimace build thread/ lap time & modification tracking IMG_8409

you just follow it to the firewall and it will be the top one of the two.

Honda Civic 10th gen .Grimace build thread/ lap time & modification tracking IMG_8410

Just have one of the secondary radiator lines go to the outlet in the first photo, then the second run to the firewall.

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
@.grimace thanks for the info...keep the data coming from the track!

Eddy, have you had a chance to look at the GTA and/or GL rules...can we run something like this?

I obviously have not had a change to look...

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@.grimace thanks for the info...keep the data coming from the track!

Eddy, have you had a chance to look at the GTA and/or GL rules...can we run something like this?

I obviously have not had a change to look...
For GL rules it does not specify anything pertaining upgrades to the cooling system, So I would assume it is Kosher. Also its not like you are adding any sort of boost or power advantage I would doubt it would be illegal.

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So the radiator has them come out on the passenger side, we just routed them up around around like this.

IMG_8406.jpeg

Added some foam padding under the metal radiator support there to make sure its not rubbing on the lines. Note to self, that vacuum line came out of the holder.

So kind of hard to snap a good photo of the firewall one but there are two lines running into the firewall. Once you remove this line:

IMG_8409.jpeg

you just follow it to the firewall and it will be the top one of the two.

IMG_8410.jpeg

Just have one of the secondary radiator lines go to the outlet in the first photo, then the second run to the firewall.
how much extra water did you add to the cooling system? did you prefill the radiator before install?

OP
OP
.grimace

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
how much extra water did you add to the cooling system? did you prefill the radiator before install?
so the radiator says it holds 32oz, I didn’t prefill it because it’d just spill out and make a mess. Since I still have the oem coolant I just added distilled water and ran the car, opened the heater core and got it nice and hot. Then topped it off as needed until the levels were correct.

between the cooler and the lines I bet you get around 40oz of extra fluid not to mention the extra cooling.
I can’t say enough about how it works.

in this thread I modded my 2017 twice to keep it cool on track and failed both times. I only came back to this 2021 because my buddy (his IG is @vroomfk8)did this and swore up and down it works. It certainly does, it’s crazy trying to tell people about it and they don’t believe you or won’t do it. $250 your fk8 won’t overheat the coolant again

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
so the radiator says it holds 32oz, I didn’t prefill it because it’d just spill out and make a mess. Since I still have the oem coolant I just added distilled water and ran the car, opened the heater core and got it nice and hot. Then topped it off as needed until the levels were correct.

between the cooler and the lines I bet you get around 40oz of extra fluid not to mention the extra cooling.

in this thread I modded my 2017 twice to keep it cool on track and failed both times. I only came back to this 2021 because my buddy (his IG is @vroomfk8)did this and swore up and down it works. It certainly does, it’s crazy trying to tell people about it and they don’t believe you or won’t do it. $250 your fk8 won’t overheat the coolant again
This could be a game changer if properly setup....

Okay one last question I swear hah, Do you mind showing us how you mounted the aux radiator on the bottom? I know you mentioned cutting through the support bracket however I wanted to see where you mounted it to the radiator itself.

OP
OP
.grimace

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey no worries thats what I'm on the forum for. To share and gain knowledge about the car.

I don't have any photos and suck at explaining stuff so lets see how I do.

you find some basic nut/ bolt that fits the hole on the aux radiator. I think I got one about 1" long. On the front of the core support I cut a round hole large enough to be able to fit the the 12mm socket through. Then on the backside of the core support I drilled a hole just large enough for the bolt. So if you're looking at the core support from the front there is a larger hole allowing access to tighten the bolt/ nut on the backside of the core support.

The aux radiator does sit like 1/2"- 3/4" back from the core support so to not tilt it or stress the mounts we got some nylon washers to space it out. I think I used (2) 3/8" washers so 3/4" total and was perfect. When I go back to make better upper mounts I'll find a 3/4" washer instead of two in a chain but its worked fine.

Then just run the bolt through and tighten it down. I want to remove the bumper to make better upper mounts so I'll be sure to snap lots of photos when I do. Really basic stuff though

OP
OP
.grimace

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Last event video if anyone is interested. Lots of room for improvement and was on a 1:23.7 but ran into a slow Miata where I couldn’t pass.

Anyways think it’s the quickest fk8 around Thunderhill west time I know of?

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Where does the accessory radiator mount? Ahead or behind the OEM one? Above the I.C. ?

OP
OP
.grimace

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Where does the accessory radiator mount? Ahead or behind the OEM one? Above the I.C. ?
yep. In front of of them oem one in the opening above the intercooler.

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

what does your car run temp wise? does the heater core actually get hot if idling ?

OP
OP
.grimace

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
what does your car run temp wise? does the heater core actually get hot if idling ?
Right now it sits around 176 at just freeway cruising with very little load. Sit in traffic and idle and it gets into the 180s. I think you want it staying at least 175+ so its right on the edge. If you drive it in the winter or cold places I did notice it sat round 165-170 on the freeway when it wad colder here (20-35 degrees out). I might look at a block off plate for next winter but I dont drive it much either so it wasn't a huge worry. Just do a pull or two and I bet you're 175+ : P

Heater was always hot without issue too
Sponsored