Corey2k8g

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
So out of nowhere it looks like my grille started to come apart from the bumper. I talked to Honda they said they wouldn't touch it because I have clear side markers and red emblem on my grille. ? I put a piece of metal in the back of the grille to hold in place. But doesn't work. This normal? And how can I fix it since hinda won't. This is before and after it happened. I'm on the verge of buying a new grille and bumper. ?
Sponsored

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
So out of nowhere it looks like my grille started to come apart from the bumper. I talked to Honda they said they wouldn't touch it because I have clear side markers and red emblem on my grille. ? I put a piece of metal in the back of the grille to hold in place. But doesn't work. This normal? And how can I fix it since hinda won't. This is before and after it happened. I'm on the verge of buying a new grille and bumper. ?
Pics.

olesaintnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unfortunately, this is a very common issue. From what I’ve seen, the damage happens when people remove the bumper/grill from the car. The weak tabs that connect the grill to the car (I think they are on that small panel between the hood and the grill) are damaged. I replaced a chrome OEM grill with a black OEM grill on my 2016 EXT, and still had this issue. Aftermarket grill replacements cause the same problem. Some people use zip ties to hold the grill tabs in place, but eventually they wear out and mess up the grill. Other people use a metal bracket to reinforce the grill. Also, you could just use some strong adhesive, but then you will not be able to easily remove the grill in the future

Last edited:

OP
OP
Corey2k8g

Corey2k8g

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Unfortunately, this is a very common issue. From what I’ve seen, the damage happens when people remove the bumper/grill from the car. The weak tabs that connect the grill to the car (I think they are on that small panel between the hood and the grill) are damaged. Replacing the grill/bumper will probably not solve the problem, as the damaged tabs are not a part of the bumper or grill. I replaced a chrome OEM grill with a black OEM grill on my 2016 EXT, and still had this issue. Aftermarket grill replacements cause the same problem. Some people use zip ties to hold the grill tabs in place, but eventually they wear out and mess up the grill. Other people use a metal bracket to reinforce the grill. Also, you could just use some strong adhesive, but then you will not be able to easily remove the grill in the future
Appreciate the info. My body guy suggested screwing it together from the inside.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Appreciate the info. My body guy suggested screwing it together from the inside.
Some easily reversible DIY might be your best option, trust me, you don't want the dealership going in there and pulling things apart. I was reminded of this recently when I took my car in for some cosmetic warranty, they scratched the fk outta my shit real good and there is no point fighting them, rather just not go back.

When fuel pump recall time comes around for me, I plan to do all the disassembling my self so they can just get right to it.

OP
OP
Corey2k8g

Corey2k8g

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
They had mentioned the recall. They didn't have the parts for the civic. Only the accord and crv. I'll be taking pictures in detail before hand when I drop it off. I'm not taking any chances.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
They had mentioned the recall. They didn't have the parts for the civic. Only the accord and crv. I'll be taking pictures in detail before hand when I drop it off. I'm not taking any chances.
What recall? The only active recall is the fuel pump. There's some warranty extension but nothing related to the body/grille

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Mines doing that a bit as well. Drivers side, but I figured it might have happened when I nailed a super giant/fat groundhog at night on a back road.

Vrait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
I have it too, but is completely unnoticeable to everyone but us. So just ignore it, there's no harm.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Unfortunately, this is one of the hated design flaws of the 10th gen. The upper part of the grille is being attached flimsy to a set of thin holes on the bumper. Honda should’ve reinforced it in the beginning to prevent this from happening.

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did a combo of using fat zip ties and epoxy to secure it better when I swapped from the 2019 to 2020 grille due to it wanting to pop out. I wasn't too fond of using epoxy but after a few times of going back and forth to secure things and then popping out again this was the only way for me to secure things.
Sponsored