1.5T Greddy exhaust interior noise / drone?

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I have also installed a Greddy catback to my 2018 sport and i have a prl catted dp and fp to this and the drone in 6th from 2500rpm until you reach 3000rpm is deafening! I have to keep at 3k to stop the droning its really bad! But before i installed it i had noticed the front piece of the centre pipe was 2" hole that opened to 3" all the way to the back box. So because of this i am 3"dp 3" fp 2"-3"centre 3"mid pipe then back box. So there is a bottle neck effect now with my system and im starting to think this causes the drone. Does anyone else have this set up?
I have the Greddy Supreme SP (10158212) with a PRL catted downpipe and it's louder than I'd like on the highway.
Sponsored

CIVICUK

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatch 1.5 turbo manual.
Country flag
Im glad its not just me then and i had a poor set up. Are you running stock intake? Have you got plans to reduce the drone?

Beansley

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
FYI, I added a vibrant ultra quiet resonator a few months ago and it made a big difference overall and definitely almost muted the highway drone entirely. Overall I'm much happier with the exhaust when the first 9 months I almost regretted my choice. However, aesthetics wise it would be hard to go back to the stock because they just look puny and pathetic in comparison.

*EDIT
I think it's silly they didn't have a resonator on the original design to help with drone

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Im glad its not just me then and i had a poor set up. Are you running stock intake? Have you got plans to reduce the drone?
I have a PRL short ram intake. If I planned to keep the car long-term, I'd probably look into adding some insulation or the resonator mentioned in the post above. I am thinking I'll replace the car sometime in a year or so, so don't plan to put much more money into modifications for it.

ayayron212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 1.5 civic sport
Country flag
FYI, I added a vibrant ultra quiet resonator a few months ago and it made a big difference overall and definitely almost muted the highway drone entirely. Overall I'm much happier with the exhaust when the first 9 months I almost regretted my choice. However, aesthetics wise it would be hard to go back to the stock because they just look puny and pathetic in comparison.

*EDIT
I think it's silly they didn't have a resonator on the original design to help with drone
thanks for the tip! i will look into getting one of these resonators fitted soon as this virus issue is lifted and i can get to a garage :D . can i ask where abouts on the exhaust system you placed this resonator? do you have any photos and description on what size i would need please?

Beansley

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
thanks for the tip! i will look into getting one of these resonators fitted soon as this virus issue is lifted and i can get to a garage :D . can i ask where abouts on the exhaust system you placed this resonator? do you have any photos and description on what size i would need please?
I had a shop weld it on for me for around 50-60 bucks, they put it right before the muffler, since the exhaust is 3" through this is both what I got and what will fit. I know if you want to do it yourself you can do exhaust clamps. If you have a shop that you regularly go to just talk to them and they should help you out!

Honda Civic 10th gen Greddy exhaust interior noise / drone? Screenshot_20200404-060421_Amazon Shoppin

OP
OP
Aiirik

Aiirik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic hatchback sport WOP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

*EDIT
Hey, I’m basically debating this now . I’m not 100% satisfied with the greddy exhaust since the drone is more like a “vibration” type noise for me where it just gives me a headache after a while . I can even see my rear view mirror vibrating a bit when the exhaust drone is in the right rpm.
The vibrant UQ did the trick for you?
I’m thinking of also adding one to my exhaust or doing a hybrid of stock exhaust with the greddy muffler . Since I already have the stock exhaust cut at the right spot from when I did a muffler delete .
Any input on this would be great! I’d be curious how much the vibrant UQ actually helps .

Thanks

CIVICUK

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey, I’m basically debating this now . I’m not 100% satisfied with the greddy exhaust since the drone is more like a “vibration” type noise for me where it just gives me a headache after a while . I can even see my rear view mirror vibrating a bit when the exhaust drone is in the right rpm.
I’m thinking of also adding one to my exhaust or doing a hybrid of stock exhaust with the greddy muffler . Since I already have the stock exhaust cut at the right spot from when I did a muffler delete .
Any input on this would be great! I’d be curious how much the vibrant UQ actually helps .

Thanks
I too have the same problem and so i have a vibrant UQ being fitted this week so once its done i shall give you some input on how much its reduced ?

OP
OP
Aiirik

Aiirik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I too have the same problem and so i have a vibrant UQ being fitted this week so once its done i shall give you some input on how much its reduced ?
Perfect! I’ll await your reply! When are you getting it done ? Do you have a 6mt sport hatch as well?

Beansley

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Thanks

It definitely made the interior noise less vibrate-y and toned it down probably a good 10-15% just overall. What it really helped with most was highway drone which now seems like it doesn't really happen at all. Overall it was around $150 to buy the part and go to the shop to have it welded so to me it was worth it.

That being said if it makes you feel any better... If I could go back and either just not spend the money on the exhaust or find something else, I may. I flip flop on it a lot still, I think the aesthetics are a lot better than the smaller tips on the stock set up but sometimes the extra volume gets on my nerves. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

CIVICUK

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Perfect! I’ll await your reply! When are you getting it done ? Do you have a 6mt sport hatch as well?
This friday so i shall be posting my experience on saturday, yes i have 6speed manual sport hatch with prl catted dp /fp and itg panel filter ?

OP
OP
Aiirik

Aiirik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It definitely made the interior noise less vibrate-y and toned it down probably a good 10-15% just overall. What it really helped with most was highway drone which now seems like it doesn't really happen at all. Overall it was around $150 to buy the part and go to the shop to have it welded so to me it was worth it.

That being said if it makes you feel any better... If I could go back and either just not spend the money on the exhaust or find something else, I may. I flip flop on it a lot still, I think the aesthetics are a lot better than the smaller tips on the stock set up but sometimes the extra volume gets on my nerves. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
That’s what I’m afraid of. That I’ll spend the money to get a muffler added and still not be satisfied. That’s why I’m think of adding the stock exhaust back but getting a connector made to keep the greddy mufflers . My stock exhaust is cut almost where the greddy muffler starts , id just need a flange . Then it would go from a 2” diameter with stock res, to the 3” muffler . My muffler delete was okay but I didn’t like the tone of it, but it didn’t have that vibration that’s annoying me.
That’s why I’m leaning that way , I think the full 3” + no res is causing the issue for me .
Hard to tell though , that’s what I hate about exhaust it’s a big trial and error game :p

CIVICUK

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ok so update! had the vibrant fitted, soon as he started it up on cold start everyone noticed the deep drone noise had reduced. then upon driving it back home it sounded a lot better in the cabin with no vibration and near enough silent on motorway speed and light cruising and idling stationary. however, the way honda has my uk civic platform set up is upon cold start up it idles at 1500rpm for atleast a minute and when I stand near the mufflers the sound of the deep drone is bellowing really loud!. my missus hates it she says " it is still rattling the front windows of the house" :p.

but during installation I asked my guy to fit it as near to the back box as possible, and he says it can only go in one place ( centre pipe where heat shield sits) as on the hatchback sport greddy sp it has a bend in the piping right before you reach the muffler back resonator, so all that the vibrant has done is capture the drone in mid-low rpm but its still reaching the back box to create drone, especially if your in 5th at low load and you apply more throttle.

anyway I have come up with the conclusion that this system is just not for me, I personally reckon the 3" piping is not needed for my set up or even these engines and I shall be ordering the 27won catback soon as they are next in stock OR I am tempted to bite the bullet and go for the spoon sports N1 or even the mugen exhaust as it sounds just what I am after regardless of the ridiculous price I use this car everyday and I need a tolerable exhaust sound, just not stock as its pretty lame lol

hope this helps! can send you photo of where the resonator could only go if it helps!

CIVICUK

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update *** ran some decibel testing today and on cold start near the dual pipes it was 68-70 decibels which isnt alot BUT the vibration from the cabin and stood a foot away from the car was horrid! So my understanding is thats the problem. Spoke to my exhaust guy and he recommends somehow by passing the back resonator by sleeving the piping to the exhaust tips and see if that stops the vibration. Then if this works he will then simply cut out the back box and replacing with 3" piping hoping that i may get more raspy noise at open throttle but no vibration in the car.

Any thoughts on this method? Have i got it all wrong ? Im a newbie to exhausts

Beansley

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ok so update! had the vibrant fitted, soon as he started it up on cold start everyone noticed the deep drone noise had reduced. then upon driving it back home it sounded a lot better in the cabin with no vibration and near enough silent on motorway speed and light cruising and idling stationary. however, the way honda has my uk civic platform set up is upon cold start up it idles at 1500rpm for atleast a minute and when I stand near the mufflers the sound of the deep drone is bellowing really loud!. my missus hates it she says " it is still rattling the front windows of the house" :p.

but during installation I asked my guy to fit it as near to the back box as possible, and he says it can only go in one place ( centre pipe where heat shield sits) as on the hatchback sport greddy sp it has a bend in the piping right before you reach the muffler back resonator, so all that the vibrant has done is capture the drone in mid-low rpm but its still reaching the back box to create drone, especially if your in 5th at low load and you apply more throttle.

anyway I have come up with the conclusion that this system is just not for me, I personally reckon the 3" piping is not needed for my set up or even these engines and I shall be ordering the 27won catback soon as they are next in stock OR I am tempted to bite the bullet and go for the spoon sports N1 or even the mugen exhaust as it sounds just what I am after regardless of the ridiculous price I use this car everyday and I need a tolerable exhaust sound, just not stock as its pretty lame lol

hope this helps! can send you photo of where the resonator could only go if it helps!

Yeah I feel the same when I start it definitely vibrates my front door from the street. It definitely is the 3" piping that makes it a little much and I feel like I get a bit of a throttle lag with it. However I have read on this forum people say 27won has the loudest exhaust when you compare the popular ones (greddy, 27won, borla). Let me know how the 27won compares when you get it as I was originally debating between the two myself but went with greddy due to the price and popularity. The sound rating on the greddy is just 90db which is just up 6 from stock. I guess everyone has different options on what's loud or not. I think in the meantime I may put some soundproofing in the area where the spare is housed and see if that helps. Good luck!
Sponsored