Gray burned dust-like material underneath car

civicdriver_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Sedan NA 2.0 L CVT
Country flag
2020 Honda Civic LX 2.0L CVT, 1350 miles
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does anyone know what this is? I drove a lot around the city today and drive pretty conservatively. When I parked the car in the garage and came back an hour later I noticed the garage smelling like kind of a burnt plastic smell. I couldn't tell where it was coming from but underneath the hood seemed fine but when I checked the underside of the rear of the car I saw this as well as by the strut on the driver side (didn't check the 3 other sides). I'm kind of new understanding cars so I'm sorry if this is a noob question but does anyone know what this is?

Honda Civic 10th gen Gray burned dust-like material underneath car IMG_20210112_201820

Honda Civic 10th gen Gray burned dust-like material underneath car IMG_20210112_201812

Honda Civic 10th gen Gray burned dust-like material underneath car IMG_20210112_201833

Honda Civic 10th gen Gray burned dust-like material underneath car IMG_20210112_201941

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
To me, it looks like undercoating that they spray on at the factory to prevent rust. But if that is the case, they did not do a very good job. I would ask the dealer, and if it is undercoating, they should fix it.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
This is the underside of my 2018 LX at the rear. The muffler is just out of view overhead of the camera.

Honda Civic 10th gen Gray burned dust-like material underneath car PXL_20210114_034243777

OP
OP
civicdriver_

civicdriver_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To me, it looks like undercoating that they spray on at the factory to prevent rust. But if that is the case, they did not do a very good job. I would ask the dealer, and if it is undercoating, they should fix it.
Yes, I think so as well. I've been doing a lot of googling and there's not much information directly related to people really talking about the undercoating, but a few older civic threads on other forums mentioned that the burning plastic smell could be due to some coatings burning off I think they said. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

OP
OP
civicdriver_

civicdriver_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is the underside of my 2018 LX at the rear. The muffler is just out of view overhead of the camera.

PXL_20210114_034243777.jpg
I'm glad to see that it's normal and not just me or a cause for concern. If it is coating, yours looks pretty straight on there.
Thank you for taking time to go under your car and take a pic. I know how difficult it can be, I had to bend into some weird angles to try to get a clear picture haha, so I appreciate it very much.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
It is a rust proof coating applied at the factory as part of the paint process. When importing used JDM cars to the UK from Japan most of them don't have this so a coating can be applied when a car has landed in the UK. We use salt on our roads and as far as I am aware Japan doesn't so they don't apply this. Any new cars for foreign markets I.e. UK, USA etc should have this applied from new so no worries there if you buy a car that's built in Japan, its just the fact its not applied for cars for their own home market.
Sponsored