GR Corolla announced - 300 hp, front/rear LSDs, carbon fiber roof, triple exhaust

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
RIP CTR...looks like Toyota is about to eat your lunch for all but the most fervent of fan boy's.
The gr yaris runs a 7.56 around the ring vs 2017 type r 7.43. Corolla got to bring it if it wants to eat that type r lunch.
Sponsored

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks way better and special compared to the new accord type r.
definitely this is the better choice imo.
accord... type r...
am i missing something?
i know honda made an accord type r from 98 to 02 but there were only like 2000 of them and they weren't even in the US market. even then, the accord is a much bigger car then the civic, let alone the GRolla.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
accord... type r...
am i missing something?
i know honda made an accord type r from 98 to 02 but there were only like 2000 of them and they weren't even in the US market. even then, the accord is a much bigger car then the civic, let alone the GRolla.
Issa joke. 11th civic looks like an accord.

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
The gr yaris runs a 7.56 around the ring vs 2017 type r 7.43. Corolla got to bring it if it wants to eat that type r lunch.
yeah I don’t think the heavier AWD GR has a chance to beat the Type R at the Ring, where AWD is not an advantage at least at these power levels. But it’s not meant for that.

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Toyota GR Corolla | First Drive, Leveling Expectations - YouTube

Press embargo was lifted a couple days ago and reviews for the GR Corolla are in. Overall it seems like the GRC lives (mostly) up to expectations, Toyota bringing an awesome challenger into the hot hatch ring.

some of my takeaways were (via reviewers such as savagegeese,straightpipes,engineeringexplained,throttlehouse):
* the car experiences slight understeer in the dry, though the press seems excited to test it out on gravel/wet/snowy roads. also the consensus seemed (from what I collected) that messing with the power distribution settings can further limit the understeer
* 0-60 times seem to be in the 4.9 second range. not the fastest in a straight line but that's not what I (personally) would be buying this car for - certainly quicker than the Si I've got out in my driveway but maybe not as quick as the other all-wheel drive hot hatches out there
* the trim to get seems to be core + the performance package which would include the front & rear LSDs - the circuit and morizo editions don't seem to offer much more in the way of performance enhancements (unless you're looking for something special and/or hyper-track focused in the case of the morizo - the circuit edition just looks like a way for toyota to squeeze another 10k out of you)

All in all the first impression I'm getting is the GRC loses some of the "special" that the GRY has but the . In terms of spec sheets, the GRC isn't going to beat out the competition in every aspect. Spec sheets sell cars, but they don't define how fun the car is to drive.

The GRC is going to be my next car.

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag