Got stranded this weekend

gearsofwar17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Sedan
What was the cars response when you tried to turn it over? Did it attempt to start and fail like when you have a dead battery or did the car display the warning messages without even trying to turn over?

A similar thing happened to our TLX when the battery died from being in accessory too long. I had just taken it for a 40+mile drive and the battery should have been full. All the electronics including the parking brake indicator were freaking out. Certain things still worked like the headlights and interior lights but slowly faded over time. When the guy from Honda/Acura roadside assistance came to give me a boost it took probably close to 10 minutes of being connected to his car for the TLX to turn over. The indicators slowly went back to normal during the boost and were completely normal once we got it started.

After a long drive home to charge up the battery it's been fine ever since. It seems like either something was draining the battery while the car was off or it wasn't being fully charged as we drove it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
What was the cars response when you tried to turn it over? Did it attempt to start and fail like when you have a dead battery or did the car display the warning messages without even trying to turn over?

A similar thing happened to our TLX when the battery died from being in accessory too long. I had just taken it for a 40+mile drive and the battery should have been full. All the electronics including the parking brake indicator were freaking out. Certain things still worked like the headlights and interior lights but slowly faded over time. When the guy from Honda/Acura roadside assistance came to give me a boost it took probably close to 10 minutes of being connected to his car for the TLX to turn over. The indicators slowly went back to normal during the boost and were completely normal once we got it started.

After a long drive home to charge up the battery it's been fine ever since. It seems like either something was draining the battery while the car was off or it wasn't being fully charged as we drove it.
The car did not try and turn over at all. It was silent except for the "dings" as each new warning message came up on the dashboard.

And the lights and the radio and many other components worked just fine. It is as if the engine wasn't even there.

But going on a week and all is good since the dealer did whatever they did.

RC

KimO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda Civic EX, 2016 Honda EX-TL Rallye Red
Country flag
The car did not try and turn over at all. It was silent except for the "dings" as each new warning message came up on the dashboard.

And the lights and the radio and many other components worked just fine. It is as if the engine wasn't even there.

But going on a week and all is good since the dealer did whatever they did.

RC
Would love to know what they did to fix it.

OP
OP

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Would love to know what they did to fix it.
They did two things according to the work order...

1. Replaced the Transmission Control Module (TCM)
  2. Updated the PCM (?) software
Unclear, but both of these, according to the work order, were / are related to "tech bulletin 454." And this is after doing the parking brake recall in December.

RC

KimO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda Civic EX, 2016 Honda EX-TL Rallye Red
Country flag
They did two things according to the work order...

1. Replaced the Transmission Control Module (TCM)
  2. Updated the PCM (?) software
Unclear, but both of these, according to the work order, were / are related to "tech bulletin 454." And this is after doing the parking brake recall in December.

RC
Hmmm. Well I am sorry it happened and glad it's fixed.

kurokitsune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Damn...I must have been hit by an electromagnetic pulse while shooting hoops at the park. :).

Did a search on this issue while I was waiting for the tow truck and saw that a few others have had similar things happen - ranging from the battery issue that the dealership thought it might have been to one person who "accidentally" put diesel in their tank. And many of them said it happened within a few months of owning their Civic (I've had mine since July 2016).

Whatever happened to me this weekend must have been some kind of sensor and/or computer module that is linked to a bunch of systems. Hopefully will know more today.

RC
Had to ask, but how could someone accidently put diesel in a petrol car? I mean the nozzle sizes are different, so they shouldn't have been even able put the diesel gas nozzle into their tank's mouth!

Sman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EX Hatch w/ Sensing
Had to ask, but how could someone accidently put diesel in a petrol car? I mean the nozzle sizes are different, so they shouldn't have been even able put the diesel gas nozzle into their tank's mouth!
Actually the diesel nozzle is 1mm smaller then the gasoline one. My wife had to get her Jetta TDi fitted with a special adapter that would only let in the diesel nozzel because users were putting gas in their TDi's.......They do make a large diesel nozzle for semi trucks that flow a lot faster that wouldn't fit though

HMan

AB 1.5T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe EXT
I had the exact same problem with all of the messages and the parking break that wouldn't disengage. Trick is to reset the battery - take one end off, leave it for 10 seconds, put it back on. Bam, car is as good as new - fired up fine and haven't had the problem since. One thing to note, it did reset the average MPG history and all that good stuff.

Dealer of coarse wanted me to have it towed so they could look at it which is kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

I now keep a socket in my glove box for the next time this does happen, and I would recommend any other other does the same.

Here's a video from my incident:
Yeah been there tried that didn't work

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe 6MT
Hmmm ... the suggestion to keep a 10 mil for battery terminals is fantastic ...
I haven't ever had a car completely just refuse to start because of electronic control modules, but yes ...
these Civics are cram packed full of them ... brakes, engine, steering, stability, etc ...
I just had an incident where every single possible brake related error came on my HUD.
I head nearly exploded because I was worried I screwed something up after bagging my car last Friday.
I went home, searched the forums and found someone reflashed their tune, and it fixed it.
I did the same, and it worked. I haven't ever had any other electrical issues, before.
Hopefully, these electrical issues get worked out by Honda ...

Honda 4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic lx
Country flag
I bought a 2017 civic lx sedan Cvt After 3 weeks my car wont start all i can hear is click click click. my dealer said maybe the battery is lowbat they checked it and battery is good.

I found a solution from park i move my gear to reverse or neutral then go back to park then the car start one click or stay in neutral then start.

Its very rare to happen once every 4 months ( sorry english is not my native language)

ediblebirch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK7 ST
Country flag
Might be ECU related? I've sen this with my car when I flashed my ECU with Hondata, it went away after 10 mins.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
On a related note, it was also a PITA to disengage the parking brake so that I could get towed. Perhaps the two problems are related. I took a quick peek in the owners manual but I didn't see any comment about how one would disengage the parking brake in an emergency or if, for example, your battery was dead and you couldn't see any lights on the dashboard to know if it is disengaged or not.
Put it on a dolly or drag it onto a flatbed - those are the options. Some vehicles have a provision for manually releasing the parking brakes, but most do not - including the Civic.

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Put it on a dolly or drag it onto a flatbed - those are the options. Some vehicles have a provision for manually releasing the parking brakes, but most do not - including the Civic.
Theres really no way to for release the parking brake? I feel like thats an oversight by them.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag